Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 482
  1. #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Couldn't you have answered this question back in January, tho? Apple didn't show anything today to tip any of these scales in their favor.

    If I didn't get copy and paste, landscape in the calendar, and push notifications I would have definitely considered purchasing the Pre day 1. I no longer am (not willing to switch to sprint anymore).
  2.    #182  
    I'm still thinking it wasnt that bad of a day for Palm. The Pre still has a great chance of making some noise when it finally comes out!
  3. #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If I didn't get copy and paste, landscape in the calendar, and push notifications I would have definitely considered purchasing the Pre day 1. I no longer am (not willing to switch to sprint anymore).
    So why you here? lol
  4. #184  
    Fair enough. Palm seems to have thought this out way better with the notifications, and the more connected you are with IM and additional third party apps, the more notifications you will get. Apple's stop you cold, much like getting a phone call when you're working on an app (the sheer amount of times you have to save on an iPhone while doing something crucial is ridiculous).
  5. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #185  
    I think we all need to wait until the Pre is officially on Sprint store shelves (along with 3.0 Apple devices) before jumping to too many conclusions. And they (iPhone 3.0 & Pre) will likely hit the market within a month of each other in early summer.

    That said, Apple's update today surprised me as having a lot more 'meat' than I was anticipating. It's not a game-changer but they're definitely on the right track. I think today's update is going to be great for olders of current and first-gen (and iPod Touch!) iPhone hardware to make those devices much more up to date software-wise. If nothing else, a lot of the PDA die-hards can get a Touch and get at least a good chunk of the functionality they had on their old Garnet-based devices.

    The Pre still has the huge bonuses of a real keyboard, slider formfactor, multi-tasking OS, a zippier CPU/chipset, and a removable battery. But the iPhone trounces it in storage capacity currently (and it's quite possible a 32gb iPhone may hit the market before the 8gb Pre even arrives) and general multimedia savvy.

    That said, neither device is on Verizon and neither has a removable memory card slot. So that means I am not going to abandon my 755p anytime soon.
    Last edited by hkklife; 03/17/2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  6. #186  
    iPhone 3.0 is a very significant update using existing hardware that you can buy this week. The software development is moving along at an unbeatable pace because they have 20 million units out there (13 million iPhones) and the App Store is churning out sales. The iPhone Dev Center is already being updated with the beta 3.0 for developers.
  7. #187  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    I am lost......what is all this stuff you guys want to be doing at once on your phones?


    You can listen to music and surf the web........seems like anything else is no big deal and is a once in a great while thing.
    Uh. Wow. I'm sort of speechless at this (and not to speak for everyone), but the whole reason we're interested in the Pre is because we don't see using a phone for listening to music and surfing the web as a big deal (in fact many here have been able to do this on Treos for years). I don't want a glorified music player plus phone, I want a smartphone.
  8. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #188  
    How good is getting a notification if can't switch easlier between tasks....
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  9. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So why you here? lol
    most of us here because we are loyal palm fans.....but......they have not been good to us for years and how long are we goign to wait for Pre and is it going to be subpar to iphone afterall?
  10. #190  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    So why you here? lol
    I support legacy Palm devices at my company as part of my job. I am often on this message board.

    Why don't you create a cardfan message board and you can decide who can be here and who shouldn't.
  11. #191  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    If I didn't get copy and paste, landscape in the calendar, and push notifications I would have definitely considered purchasing the Pre day 1. I no longer am (not willing to switch to sprint anymore).
    That is exactly what I'm expecting from a GSM user. Apple has done enough to keep their GSM user base. The new features will hold them over until the next iphone is released or the GSM version of the pre. Sprint's network will now be a huge deciding factor for a user from another network and will be a deal breaker for many.

    Whether or not you like what they offered, Apple has succeeded in what they wanted to do. They have done enough to keep their userbase happy and will expand their user base with the new features.
  12. #192  
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I'm still thinking it wasnt that bad of a day for Palm. The Pre still has a great chance of making some noise when it finally comes out!
    Agreed. 3.0 seems like a glorified bug fix in my laymans perspective. I predict those already enarmored of the iphone will continue to purchase it, (and will continue to purchase things like t-shirts for virtual puppies) while others not so enamored will look to the Pre and other phones to meet their needs.

    In other words - exactly where we before the release of the 3.0 patch.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  13. bignoze's Avatar
    Posts
    330 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Uh. Wow. I'm sort of speechless at this (and not to speak for everyone), but the whole reason we're interested in the Pre is because we don't see using a phone for listening to music and surfing the web as a big deal (in fact many here have been able to do this on Treos for years). I don't want a glorified music player plus phone, I want a smartphone.
    yea.....so tell me why?

    What are you looking for multitasking to do? its a simple question, sorry.

    And why do you think Pre is going to accomplish this goal for you?


    and my CENTRO can not compare to the iphone and 25k apps is what? a dumbphone...LOL
  14. #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    How good is getting a notification if can't switch easlier between tasks....
    Not sure why clicking on an app icon is that difficult. Very similar to the way the orignal Palm OS did things.
  15. #195  
    Still, its nothing unexpected. Palm will still sell out and their main problems will be meeting demand and pumping out any updates. Nothing today was going to change that. It was standard stuff from apple..nothing really stood out.
  16. #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    I think today's update is going to be great for olders of current and first-gen (and iPod Touch!) iPhone hardware to make those devices much more up to date software-wise. If nothing else, a lot of the PDA die-hards can get a Touch and get at least a good chink of the functionality they had on their old Garnet-based devices.
    Unless they care about Bluetooth or MMS, in which case these older iPhone and iPod Touch owners are out of luck. Even worse, the "demo unit" today was showing signs of increased lag when opening apps. That doesn't bode well for older hardware either.
  17. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #197  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Not sure why clicking on an app icon is that difficult. Very similar to the way the orignal Palm OS did things.
    I was actually referring to the multi / background apps vs their background alerts
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  18. #198  
    Well it looks like bignoze and mobileman have made up their minds. Decisions are made. It was fun having you. We enjoyed your commentary. We are happy that the iphone does it for you. Enjoy it. Enjoy the iphone community, and wish us luck with Palm.

    Feel free to stick your heads in here to see what's going on once in awhile, your always welcome to check out what's new here.

    Later!
  19. #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    So the real question for me as an iPhone user that is considering the Pre is......

    does the Pre's true multi-tasking, better notification, and keyboard make me want to give up a bigger screen, awesome 3rd party apps, itunes integration, ability to use the phone in Europe, 16 gigs of space.

    I think so far the answer is no for me. Maybe when Palm shows us more I will be convinced.
    That seems like a fair assessment. Apple took universal search away from Palm and cleaned up some deficiencies, but left Palm with the above advantages plus Synergy. I think they're roughly equal, with the balance being tipped person by person based on what features they find most appealing -- assuming people do their homework anyway. For the people who don't, Apple still has the brand name, mind share, and inertia and so will probably continue to be the default choice. Palm/Sprint is going to need some great advertising to get people to consider something else, but they at least have a product which makes that plausible. However, I never thought the Pre was going to "kill" the iPhone, nor does it need to to succeed.
  20. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    yea.....so tell me why?

    What are you looking for multitasking to do? its a simple question, sorry.

    And why do you think Pre is going to accomplish this goal for you?
    Let's see, a couple off the top of my head. A GPS application that can be running at the same time as anything else (I'm in a city, so I walk around places, not drive). A calendar that I can actually have open and viewable as I'm responding to emails, a web browser that I can leave open for future reference as I'm taking down notes on something else, and yes, having music open at the same time as anything else.

    And the sheer number of applications isn't what makes it a smartphone. Besides the fact that most of those are absolutely crap, a media player and games don't make it any more a smartphone than a PSP or a Nintendo DS. The Centro is more of a smartphone than the iPhone, because it's PIM features haven't been surpassed by anything (until the Pre) including the iPhone. Like I said, the iPhone is a glorified media player.

Posting Permissions