Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I am doing nothing other than waiting and observing. Until I see some hands-on reviews of people that have actually used the thing on a day-to-day basis, I don't consider there to be enough information to make a decision yet.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I unfortunately am now going with Outlook as my company is now going to an exchange setup. So all my local sync ranting is wasted, and I have to put Bloatlook on my PC and transfer over from PD. Blah.
    I have to say I find this kind of funny. You fought the good fight though.
    I know. I feel like such a hypocrite. On the positive side, it's good for work. Automating some of our sales process to keep better track of inventory and $$$. So I can only complain so much. I just hope I can turn off all the notifications in Outlook so it doesn't kill me with pop ups all the time. And if it screws up my field mapping, I'll be peeved.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I have to say I find this kind of funny. You fought the good fight though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    i just did a complete house cleaning on my centro. i went through my contacts and memos and deleted everything that isn't necessary or easily accessible via the web. i had saved a bunch of legacy contacts and memos of info that pre-dated smartphones - ie non-connected devices. now that our devices are connected to the web, many contacts such as stores, restaurants etc. can be deleted. also, lots of the data i once had in memos can now be simply downloaded. my calendar was recently purged and i don't use tasks so i'm all good there.

in the old days of the pdas, you had to carry all data with you. now if i want a phone number/address or article i can simply download it on the fly.

i did this not so much in anticipation of the Pre, but i want my data to be lean and mean and efficient. if you have to much unnecessary data to swim around in and through, it can be hard to find what you really need. and if you can quickly download it off the web - why save it on your device?

do you guys do a regular BIG house cleaning?
    Okay, this has turned into a rambling session of me just thinking "online" and doesn't add all that much to the discussion. Feel free to skip this post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i just did a complete house cleaning on my centro. i went through my contacts and memos and deleted everything that isn't necessary or easily accessible via the web. i had saved a bunch of legacy contacts and memos of info that pre-dated smartphones - ie non-connected devices. now that our devices are connected to the web, many contacts such as stores, restaurants etc. can be deleted. also, lots of the data i once had in memos can now be simply downloaded. my calendar was recently purged and i don't use tasks so i'm all good there.

in the old days of the pdas, you had to carry all data with you. now if i want a phone number/address or article i can simply download it on the fly.

i did this not so much in anticipation of the Pre, but i want my data to be lean and mean and efficient. if you have to much unnecessary data to swim around in and through, it can be hard to find what you really need. and if you can quickly download it off the web - why save it on your device?

do you guys do a regular BIG house cleaning?
    I don't, but I know I should and will have to when I finally make the switch to a WebOS device.

I suspect that digital refuse is a bigger problem than what we see or hear about.

re: cleaning out restaurant and other similar contact info
    I've had concerns along a somewhat similar vein but mine had more to do with my Treo's gps software vs. that of the Pre. As long as the Pre's offering(s) are web-based, I 1) shouldn't need so many businesses to be in my contacts and 2) won't be able to set waypoints/poi's (or represent roads) that aren't listed in, let's say, Google Maps.

#1 suggests that I should be able to streamline my contacts since the web will be at my fingertips in more places and with faster transfer rates AND more accurate data.

#2 suggests that I may want to keep all/many of those contacts for the times when Google Maps gets it wrong. Just yesterday, we were in a shopping center wondering where the nearest beauty supply store were, but Google Maps missed the one that was right around the corner from us. (HER hair, MY phone.) Once I find these places, I like to put them in my phone so I'll know which ones I have experience with, are close by, or actually exist in a given location.

Kinda leaves me at a loss. Maybe I'll clean up more thoroughly once I see how reliable WebOS and the WebOS device turn out to be. (Like getting a gps lock in that Las Vegas convention hall - amazing.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    in recent years i also have gotten my non-PIM data out of the non-standard proprietary Palm black box closed arcane proprietary PRC Apps and into MS Word and MS Excel. for instance, instead of using a PRC app for confidential data, i simply use an MS Word Document with password and encryption and use Docs to Go. i like it better because it can be written/read from any device which can read Word, and it has an open free format that i can customize myself. i dont have to worry about legacy issues or upgrades and it's portable into the future. best of all kids, it's free! also - financial net worth statement - i simply use Excel. Large Colllection of Notes - i also simply use Word. Docs To Go combined with MS Word/Excel is a beautiful thing - and i'm never at the mercy of and a slave to a developer or a single platform - because MS Word/Excel is the open and universal mass standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    in recent years i also have gotten my non-PIM data out of the non-standard proprietary Palm black box closed arcane proprietary PRC Apps and into MS Word and MS Excel. for instance, instead of using a PRC app for confidential data, i simply use an MS Word Document with password and encryption and use Docs to Go. i like it better because it can be written/read from any device which can read Word, and it has an open free format that i can customize myself. i dont have to worry about legacy issues or upgrades and it's portable into the future. best of all kids, it's free! also - financial net worth statement - i simply use Excel. Large Colllection of Notes - i also simply use Word. Docs To Go combined with MS Word/Excel is a beautiful thing - and i'm never at the mercy of and a slave to a developer or a single platform - because MS Word/Excel is the open and universal mass standard.
    I ended up having to do all of that as well... pain, but necessary.

Good choice with excel financial statements.... I recently taught a friend about this... really no need for expensive software in most cases. Plus there are tons of free financial "boilers" on the web.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    So you have to open an Excel or Word file just to look up a contact, then copy/paste that into the phone or e-mail app?

Sounds like a royal pain.
    He said "non-PIM" data.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    So you have to open an Excel or Word file just to look up a contact, then copy/paste that into the phone or e-mail app?

Sounds like a royal pain.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    He said "non-PIM" data.
    Thanks. I'm not sure what data that would be (specifically that which would be best-suited for Word), but I'm mostly caught-up, now.
    you eat too many easter eggs?

-any confidential info he password encrypts into an office file.
    -financial data into an excel file
    -notes in to word

So he can avoid using palm specific programs, no upgrades required, not tied into anything palm specific.
    Thanks. I'm not sure what data that would be (specifically that which would be best-suited for Word), but I'm mostly caught-up, now.
    saving monies
    1. Gave my 800W a 30 day notice
    2. Have multiple request in at work for time off..
    3. Have $600 in my "Pre" Fund
    4. Practicing finger gestures, lol...
    5. Practice getting to my local Sprint store drills
    6. Already talked to my family, and let them know its nothing personal, but i'll be a little Pre-occupied when the Pre comes out.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    you eat too many easter eggs?
    I never touch the stuff.

-any confidential info he password encrypts into an office file.
    I say I don't know what info he would password encrypt into an office file and your answer is "any" info he password encrypts into an office file.

I'm not asking for anyone's confidential info, of course, but you didn't really drop any grand revelations here.

-financial data into an excel file
    Note where I said, "specifically that which would be best-suited for Word."

-notes in to word
    Notes were the only things that came to-mind, but I'd expect most confidential notes to be in an app that matches their context. Financial notes in a financial app, etc.

So he can avoid using palm specific programs, no upgrades required, not tied into anything palm specific.
    Yeah. I got all that.

Thanks, anyway.
    I actually posted the newspaper ad on my wall as motivation, along with verified I will be eligible for the Pre upgrade and living on the site 24-7 aside from that calling every Sprint store nationwide looking for my Pre advocate LOL
    I replaced my old car radio with one that is more compatible with my {future}new Pre an $ 900.00 upgrade. Now I can stream audio via Bluetooth & talk. I recently got an extra battery and car charger. I'm going to need the extra juice.
    I sold my soul to get it a week early
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    passwords, credit card #'s would classify as confidential information.
    I say I don't know what info he would password encrypt into an office file and your answer is "any" info he password encrypts into an office file.

I'm not asking for anyone's confidential info, of course, but you didn't really drop any grand revelations here.
    not sure if/where to switch my contacts and email since we don't know who will be offering what for the Pre.

gmail? yahoo? live/hotmail? other? maybe someone will offer free push email?

palm desktop? outlook? mypalm.com? other?

so i'm frozen in time for now. quite possibly i'll continue as-is post-Pre if there are no better alternatives.
    passwords, credit card #'s would classify as confidential information.
    exactly. i have one big MS Word password protected encrypted MS Word file with everything on it i need and i can access it anywhere on the planet from virtually any device.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast