1.    #1  
    I am an Australian follower of the Palm Pre and I will get one as soon as I can. However there is one thing I have never seen explained in the video demos... How will the Pre work without the internet?

There is no provider in Australia offering unlimited mobile data, there are also no providers offering capped mobile data. Excess usage charges are around $0.10/MB.

My major concern with this phone is that they have over looked the simple task of putting things into the phone. Can I enter a contact directly into the phone, with no synergy? Can I enter a calendar directly on the Pre that isn't a google calendar or an exchange calendar? Surely some people don't want to use a gmail or exchange account with there phone.

I welcome your thoughts on these issues...
    I know Palm hasn't really said much on this, but I am thinking you will be able to enter information locally onto the Pre. I'm sure you'll be able to enter contacts, calendar, memos, tasks directly on the Pre without it needing to sync to Google, Exchange, etc. Not everyone is going to sync with the cloud, like 1st time smartphone users, they'll probably just want to do their PIM right on the Pre.

I've heard that Palm is working with Chapura to help with syncing Palm Desktop and Outlook to the Pre. Palm ships Chapura with current Palm OS Treos, Centros, and PDA's. I have a feeling that there is going to be some kind of syncing ability with a PIM app on the desktop for people who already sync their Treos or Centros with Palm Desktop, Outlook, iCal, or Entourage (some people have all their stuff in those apps and not in the cloud, Palm will most likely have a solution), or expect third party developers like MarkSpace, Dataviz, or someone else to have something like this available at launch.

I sync my iPhone with MobileMe, but my Treo 755p syncs with Palm Desktop and Outlook, not EAS.

So to make a long story short, I expect that you'll be able to do what you want without the need to sync with a cloud. It's just Synergy is one of the biggest and best features of Palm webOS, so it's been advertised more. I think you'll have no problem doing what you want.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    I am an Australian follower of the Palm Pre and I will get one as soon as I can. However there is one thing I have never seen explained in the video demos... How will the Pre work without the internet?

There is no provider in Australia offering unlimited mobile data, there are also no providers offering capped mobile data. Excess usage charges are around $0.10/MB.

My major concern with this phone is that they have over looked the simple task of putting things into the phone. Can I enter a contact directly into the phone, with no synergy? Can I enter a calendar directly on the Pre that isn't a google calendar or an exchange calendar? Surely some people don't want to use a gmail or exchange account with there phone.

Nice to see another aussie here mate.....yeh they charge us like wounded bulls down here for data....I actually went with Virgin for 300mb with my Treo...but that was only GPRS stuff...

the Pre will chew through it...but hopefully it won't need to be online constantly...

Anyway at least the iPhone has broken a bit of ground there and aussie telcos are at least now aware of the need for data plans....in my early treo days they barely considered data with a phone...and the prices were just ridiculous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post

Of course you can. I bet there will even be a toggle to turn Synergy syncing completely off.

Though synergy is just going to be slinging a lot of text around. I bet it wouldnt take too much of your 300mb plan or what have you.
    It is mostly going to be like the Windows Live service or Nokia's horrible Ovi service. Everything can be local, but if you so desire, you can sync with the service.

The advantage of the Windows Live service is you can sync the same stuff with your laptop/ desktop. Or the whole thing in reverse... You have the same data on your laptop/ desktop/ mobile device. Somewhat similar to IMAP - made famous by Chatteremail and Fastmail among us PalmOS users - but for other data.

I have recently discovered how useful this can be, especially with email and contacts... I wish they would extend the Live service to other things like notes/ calendar/ tasks, and then it would be all done.

I'm not very clear about this, but pushing the Pre data to a Windows environment (or Apple, or Linux) is going to be tricky, I think. It may all turn out to be a damn nuisance, as it will just be another website with another login/ password to remember.

The advantage for the service provider is of-course, they have all your personal data with them, to do as they please, privacy be damned.