1.    #1  
    How about a PRE - TOUCH? All the features of the Pre including WiFi, without the Phone.

Sort of an advanced version of the Palm Pilot that so many people used. That way people without the money for data plans or Sprint could still use one.

Put Palm back on top! I can't wait for my Pre!
    Uhm....don't really see the point in such a device. What good is it if it can only sync with the cloud while you're on WiFi?
    I don't think its a bad idea... but I'd really like Palm to focus on the phones. Unlike the iphone, the Pre will probably be available to all carriers by 2010. The only reason some people get the ipod touch is for a media device. Honestly, if all i was doing with it was music and video, I'd go for the larger screen and thinner ipod touch.
    After the wasted webinar yesterday, was walking the dog and pondering Palm's history. They started with PDA's and ran the market, then morphed to the PDA/phone and ran that market. And then sputtered. Now, they seem to be basically ditching the PDA and just going for a communication device. Much more than a phone, obviously, but much less than a PDA without card storage/encryption, no desktop app, etc....I'm kind of sad about that changeover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    After the wasted webinar yesterday, was walking the dog and pondering Palm's history. They started with PDA's and ran the market, then morphed to the PDA/phone and ran that market. And then sputtered. Now, they seem to be basically ditching the PDA and just going for a communication device. Much more than a phone, obviously, but much less than a PDA without card storage/encryption, no desktop app, etc....I'm kind of sad about that changeover.
    The Pre is the most PDA of any device released since the original Palms, honestly. Every single other platform pretty much ignores PIM applications. The Pre is the only one that actually takes a leap forward with regards to PIM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    I'm not seeing your angle that it's less.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The Pre is the most PDA of any device released since the original Palms, honestly. Every single other platform pretty much ignores PIM applications. The Pre is the only one that actually takes a leap forward with regards to PIM.
    +1
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    The stand-alone PDA is a dead-end. Everyone carries a cell phone: why carry a phone AND a separate PDA?

The iPod touch doesn't sell because it's got PDA functions, it sells because it's a fancy iPod that plays games. I'm willing to bet very few iTouch owners use the PDA functions much at all. Heck I bet a lot of them don't even know it HAS those capabilities.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I have one, got it for its large multi-touch screen, media capabilities and web browser.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The stand-alone PDA is a dead-end. Everyone carries a cell phone: why carry a phone AND a separate PDA?

The iPod touch doesn't sell because it's got PDA functions, it sells because it's a fancy iPod that plays games. I'm willing to bet very few iTouch owners use the PDA functions much at all. Heck I bet a lot of them don't even know it HAS those capabilities.
    it has PDA functions!? :-P I bet most reasonably good pda functions including to do list and that sort of thing is only useful after downloading 3rd party apps. That seems pretty ridiculous.
    I brought up this a few weeks ago in a games thread. In order for this to matter, the Pre would have to have great gaming and great multimedia capabilities. Maybe syncing with an iTunes like desktop app.

It looks to me like multimedia and certainly games won't be a strong point at launch, but the potential exists. We have to wait and see if Palm gets serious about these applications before it's time to call for a "Palm Touch".
    yep yep
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I brought up this a few weeks ago in a games thread. In order for this to matter, the Pre would have to have great gaming and great multimedia capabilities. Maybe syncing with an iTunes like desktop app.

It looks to me like multimedia and certainly games won't be a strong point at launch, but the potential exists. We have to wait and see if Palm gets serious about these applications before it's time to call for a "Palm Touch".
    amen. Nicely put and I agree 100%
    What I mean is that it's becoming less PDA in the sense that it's not application driven, esp. biz applications. It's communication driven, which is not a bad thing, just different. Palm started out, NOT in the communication business, and is now rolling completely over to being about only the communication business. The numeric keypad is now a phone pad, which is upside down. There won't be card expansion, which I take to mean there'll be no way to encrypt data, which is key to biz users. And to pretend that we don't use desktop computers by breaking the leash...well, that's ok for those who just want a comm device, but I've relied on my Palm as a micro computer in my pocket, and I'm not ready to give up that functionality, which it appears I might. Hoping I'm wrong...just the sense of it all so far.