Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Will the new Pre be able to "beam" information such as what current Treos and older Palm units are able to do?

If the Pre can beam, will it be able to beam information to older Treo units, or will this be incompatible?

I didn't see anything about beaming in any information I've read so far. I've always considered beaming to be a useful feature all these years.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Hasn't been showcased but you could possibly share info via bluetooth. As far as beaming via IR, no, it has no IR port for beaming.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Yeah IR is becoming a thing of the past, radio has a better range, and faster transfer rate. It's just too bad that you have to jump through so many security hoops to get a few phones linked via Bluetooth.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Yup, IR is obsolete for phone data transfer, devices now use BT for data transfer between devices.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your replies. So many changes, so little time.
    Casey
    Bluetooth is the choice of the new Generation Like Pepsi. BYE,Bye IR.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvbug621 View Post
    Bluetooth is the choice of the new Generation Like Pepsi. BYE,Bye IR.
    While I don't really care much about IR, it was fun to change stations on TVs when in restaurants .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    While I don't really care much about IR, it was fun to change stations on TVs when in restaurants .
    Oh that's brilliant! I think I'll go get myself one of those TV remote apps for my Palm now.
    I love doing that with my Centro! I did it to a security station once, it was really funny.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'd do it at the gym just to **** people off that will never let me watch sports. The minute you mention sports they just scoff and say no. So you just change it nonchalantly and act like you're into your workout. They look around, give a hmmpph, and keep on working out. Too lazy to go up to the desk and complain. Half the time they're not even watching what's already on.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11.    #11  
    I once tried a television app on my Treo, but couldn't figure out how to work it. Which app in particular works best for changing TV stations?
    Casey
    Good info on the lack of IR beaming on the new Pre. Based on the responses below, I see that you can use BT to transfer data (e.g. contacts) between 2 BT enabled devices. But how about apps? Can I transfer apps via BT like we did with our Treos?

How about calendar events also?
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Actually, the people that might miss the IR most are Real Estate Agents. Many use the IR with their electronic lockboxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Actually, the people that might miss the IR most are Real Estate Agents. Many use the IR with their electronic lockboxes.
    it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.
    I use to beam all the time, but Bluetooth is much faster. Plus you don't have to point devices at each other like you are having a phaser standoff in a Star Trek episode!

The only problem I encounter with Bluetooth is when I'm trying to send contacts (or anything) to Blackberry devices. I've yet to successfully connect to one via Bluetooth. I wind up using "Send as vCard" via e-mail from my Treo.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    They should have kept it for that and other remote control programs. ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    I've tried to Bluetooth Beam contacts from my 755p to my Pre with no success. They see each other, but the pre seems to have no interest in non-audio bluetooth devices. A bummer since I can't get EAS to work on the Pre either, where it's fine on the Treo 755p. No contacts, work email, calendar (this is because my company requires a pin, and I'm assuming will be fixed soon) and apparently beaming? Anyone know the answer to the beaming question for sure?
    IR is gone ! why.......... does it cost that much palm! huh .........are all other palms no IR.

and bluetooth headphones only !!!!!!! WTF looks like i cant communicate with my other bluetooth buddys or send pictures,programs custom ringers

AGhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

700p over pre
    Remember little circles of business men standing around with their Palms in "beaming position", exchanging contact info? It was a fixture on Wall Street when the Treo 650 was the hot gadget. But alas, IR has given way to Bluetooth. Better range, less power, more universally accepted.
    Verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Remember little circles of business men standing around with their Palms in "beaming position", exchanging contact info? It was a fixture on Wall Street when the Treo 650 was the hot gadget. But alas, IR has given way to Bluetooth. Better range, less power, more universally accepted.

i use IR for remote purpose and sure others use it for more than other reasons. i have not crossed anything that i can not IR computers, lights , garage door,gas power car,securtiy cameras (fully control) etc and i can go on and also at work we play IR

and i use bluetooth just as much and the pre dies fast where the treo 700p is a powerhouse!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast