Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    Just curious how the Palm Pre stacks up against the Treo Pro.

What are the basic differences and advantages to each?
    I'm curious as well. I'm looking for something that I can use with only one hand (which is one reason I passed on the iPhone) and I suspect the Pro may be better at that?
    Never Thought of that. I mostly use my 700p one handed. But multi-touch might not be easy one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Agibbs996 View Post
    I'm curious as well. I'm looking for something that I can use with only one hand (which is one reason I passed on the iPhone) and I suspect the Pro may be better at that?
    Avigo > PalmIII > PalmIIIEX > Visor > Prism > Prism w/Data module > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Pre
    And using WinMobHel on the Pro? Like that's a comparison?
    I really don't think you can compare the two that easily. Different form factor to some extend, but mostly completely different OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by starlord II View Post
    Never Thought of that. I mostly use my 700p one handed. But multi-touch might not be easy one handed.
    Multi-touch isn't really that bad, and is mostly used for zooming in and out of web pages. But that function can be performed with a double tap on the area you want to zoom in on and zoom out of so it can still be performed one handed. Google maps should function similarly.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I seldom use multitouch on the iphone. Double taps..
    Palm reps during many different demonstration videos had mention that the phone was designed to be used one handed. Like others have said, there are few things that would be easier to do with 2 hands, but if you only have one available, then it's 100% made for that. I'm sure using the gesture area also helps out with the one handed usability. As for differences between the Pro and Pre, I think the main ones will be interface, 3rd party apps, screen size, sensors, and multitouch. I think the gist of it is people that work at corporations that only allow WinMo or BB will be forced to use the Treo Pro, everyone else will probably go with the Pre. There may be a few people that don't want to wait for the Pre and will buy the Pro just because it's out this weekend, but I along with most people that know about the Pre will definitely wait.

Oh, and I'm sure the web browser will be 1000% better on the Pre which will be awesome!
    The Pro is available!

Exposed keyboard versus slider physically- big difference.
    wm vs webOS...bigger difference
    For me, the memory issue with the Pro negates it for me as a choice. No matter how it is spun, I cannot stand a Treo Pro without at least 128mb ram in the year 2009, period. ~47mb ram free is a pittance in this day and age. Even my current 700wx has more *usable* ram.

Now if Palm decides to forefully foist Everything Plans on Pre buyers, then i'll take my business to another phone. I'm not giving up my cheaper plan that already includes everything the *Everything Plan* includes.

Hopefully by launch time they won't force specific plan on Pre buyers...but i'm losing faith on that premise.
    when is the pre going to come out
    would the webos run the current software for the palm os
    Quote Originally Posted by damilenko View Post
    when is the pre going to come out
    Tomorrow.
    Here are some things the Treo Pro has that the Pre does not have:
    • Micro SD slot for expansion for up to 32GB of additional storage space.
    • Stand alone GPS
    • An extensive already existing base of compatible applications and tools (it's Windows Mobile)
    • Comes with desktop syncing tools
    • IR Port
    • Front keyboard that can be used without sliding (already mentioned earlier)

There are a number of things the Palm Pre has, that the Treo Pro does not have, but I'll allow someone else to make those points.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Tomorrow.
    Forget about tomorrow. I have a case full of them and will look for potential buyers. Possibly Ebay.
    Palm said the Pre was designed for 1-handed use. But in the Presentations, and almost all videos, you see them holding it with one hand and making their screen touches with the other.
    Also, beings it's a slider, one handed may be difficult with the kb out.
    berd, i think the demos are done two handed so that people can see. For me, when i use one hand it blocks half of the screen (on my instinct)
    I have to agree, that the use of two hands in Pre presentations may just be so the audience can see more easily. I use one hand with my Touch Pro all day and it typically involves my thumb doing all of the screen work, including typing on the soft qwerty.
    I forgot about the touch guys.

Although,
    Kb out will be tricky with the Pre I guess.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast