Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm sure somebody would accommodate this, but why would you put the Pre in a car holder and then want to use the QWERTY keyboard without holding it in your hand? Seems like that would be an inconvenient pain. Virtually everything you would need to do (dial numbers, hang up calls, use GPS) while using the Pre in a car could be done through the touchscreen without having to extend the slider.
    How are you going to enter an address for GPS Navigation to use without typing it in?

I know I often have to type things while my device is in the car holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    How are you going to enter an address for GPS Navigation to use without typing it in?

I know I often have to type things while my device is in the car holder.
    I don't use a car holder for my Centro because when I want to type something, I want it in my hands where I can thumbtype as I always do.

But even if I was the kind of person that did, I would likely enter the GPS address before I got in the car. If for some reason I was doing it on the fly, then I would simply wait until I was at a stop, remove the phone, type in the address, and then replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I don't use a car holder for my Centro because when I want to type something, I want it in my hands where I can thumbtype as I always do.

But even if I was the kind of person that did, I would likely enter the GPS address before I got in the car. If for some reason I was doing it on the fly, then I would simply wait until I was at a stop, remove the phone, type in the address, and then replace it.
    Very good of you.

I guess it depends on usage. For me, I am often in the car, stopped at a destination, then needing directions to another. I enter the next destination into the GPS software while the device is in the car holder and drive on.

And sometimes some of us do some things mid-drive .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Very good of you.

I guess it depends on usage. For me, I am often in the car, stopped at a destination, then needing directions to another. I enter the next destination into the GPS software while the device is in the car holder and drive on.

And sometimes some of us do some things mid-drive .
    No judgment here, brother. I have definitely typed on the Centro mid-drive on occasion, but I am trying to avoid that.
    Is the Pre going to a "productive device"? I am up for a new device and will it be worth the upgrade? I use my phone strictly for scheduling, not really interested in weather or what anyone is saying on their facebook page. WM has been good to me so far. Is the pre really going to meet these needs?
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Palm reps during many different demonstration videos had mention that the phone was designed to be used one handed. Like others have said, there are few things that would be easier to do with 2 hands, but if you only have one available, then it's 100% made for that. I'm sure using the gesture area also helps out with the one handed usability. As for differences between the Pro and Pre, I think the main ones will be interface, 3rd party apps, screen size, sensors, and multitouch. I think the gist of it is people that work at corporations that only allow WinMo or BB will be forced to use the Treo Pro, everyone else will probably go with the Pre. There may be a few people that don't want to wait for the Pre and will buy the Pro just because it's out this weekend, but I along with most people that know about the Pre will definitely wait.

Oh, and I'm sure the web browser will be 1000% better on the Pre which will be awesome!
    I often times have only one hand available. This is the phone for me!
    I tried the Pre, HTC Snap, and Treo Pro. Once you get used the WinMo. One may consider a Treo Pro over other smartphones.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tolucajo View Post
    I tried the Pre, HTC Snap, and Treo Pro. Once you get used the WinMo. One may consider a Treo Pro over other smartphones.
    only when it works
    Global Posts
    307 Global Posts
    The Pro is a great device. We put SPB Mobileshell on it for all our users. I still bounce between my Pre and WM device. With a few more updates and more apps for the Pre by summer's end, maybe I won't have to.
    I recently went from a 680 to a Pre and now wish I'd checked out the Pro first. I'm not saying the Pre is a bad device; it's just that the things I really want from a phone mostly worked better on the 680 and, I assume would work better on the Pro. My main gripes are:

• No 'hard' buttons. Phone rings on desk, I reach across to answer and I don't know whether I've pressed the soft button or not. As there's a delay in picking up the call (which may be down to my carrier - O2 in UK) I end up stabbing at the button and missing the call. Never a problem on the 680, where I felt the button go down.
    • No central navigation control. Going back through text to correct typos is impossible to do one-handed and extremely difficult two handed while moving.
    • That keyboard. I loved the Treo keyboard, which improved from 600 to 650 to 680. I tried other phones from Nokia, Blackberry, HTC and Samsung and none were nearly as easy to use as the Treo. It may be that the Pro's keyboard is itself a backward step, as I felt that of the Centro was inferior to the 680's and the Pro's looks more like that.
    • The slider. Maybe it's me, but it doesn't slide as easily as that of my old no.2 phone, a Sony W910. also, as you tend to slide it with your thumb on the touchscreen you are likely to be pressing a button at the same time.
    • Location of the usb port and that dopey cover. Popping the old square plug into the bottom was quicker, easier and meant you could charge the phone while in the car cradle. I don't hold out hope that the cover will last too long.
    • Bluetooth only supports audio devices. I guess this is a software thing and can be addressed by Palm, or there is (or will be) an application to get around this.
    • No facility for a carriage return in a text message. I'm a bit old fashioned about correct spelling, punctuation and layout of messages and the Pre is making my look dumb.
    • no 'reply with text' option if you are unable to take a call. This was really handy on the 680 - if you were called in a meeting you could, by pressing a couple of buttons and the phone out of sight, send a polite reply.
    • Battery life.

The things I wanted in my upgrade were high-speed internet, Wi-Fi, on-board GPS and push email, all of which the Pro would have given me.

The things I like about the Pre are mostly to do with the leisure side of it. I also think the operating system looks promising.

I think the Pre is a good rival to the iPhone; ideal for the leisure user, but if you want a serious phone for business, you'll want the Pro.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234