Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well you already know what we have. Movies, music and so on. I want to carry as much of it with me as I desire, I don't care to have to manage an 8GB limit without options to easily go beyond 8GB without any additional add ons. The limit for MicroSD is 32GB, so if the Pre had 32GB on board I'd say it does not need a MicroSD slot .

I guess if the Pre only had 4GB you could say the same as you've said, but sorry, neither 4GB or 8GB or 16GB is enough when I have options for up to 32GB . (I have a Touch Pro, not a Treo Pro, but still some of the same benefits apply.)

And you don't know yet if file transfer to the Pre will be fast. Just because it will look like a flash drive does not mean it will transfer files copied to it from a PC very quickly. How will it compare with a MicroSD card in a card reader? How will it compare with WM devices that have a built in Mass Storage mode?
    Do you really have time to watch movies on your phone? I barely have time to listen to music, the only time I do that is when I sit on my lawnmower with the headphones in my ears and ear protection sitting on top of that, and at point in time I usually listen to a shoutcast station, not the songs on my phone because for some reason, S2P is too dumb to use all the folders within my music folder when it does random play, so I get to listen to the same 15 or so songs in one folder over and over again. Mowing 2 acres takes longer than 15 songs...lol.

I have Tron and Harold & Kumar 2 on my phone, but never had the time to sit down and watch them. So it's no wonder that my 8 gb card is only 25% filled.

But yes, we all have different needs, and while a micro SD slot would have been nice, it is....again, no biggie to me....yet.

Ok, who am I kidding...I would love to stick 32 gb in there and fill that thing up!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post

But yes, we all have different needs
    You summed it up right there.
    I got my iphone filled with video but the only time it gets watched is when my daughter wants to see her shows in the car.

That's not the point though. If you're going to make a nice device with such a good screen, throw in storage and all that, then they need to just finish it up and make the process easy.

They aim for both ends but leave big question marks with lack of desktop syncing (business end) and lack of management and storage (ipod end). Just frustrating because its like the best sundae ever made and they won't give you a spoon. This is easy stuff..the hard stuff is done. One would think they thought this out and haven't told us yet. But its Palm and history still says you shouldn't assume anything with them based on their previous marketing.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Well you already know what we have. Movies, music and so on. I want to carry as much of it with me as I desire, I don't care to have to manage an 8GB limit without options to easily go beyond 8GB without any additional add ons. The limit for MicroSD is 32GB, so if the Pre had 32GB on board I'd say it does not need a MicroSD slot .

I guess if the Pre only had 4GB you could say the same as you've said, but sorry, neither 4GB or 8GB or 16GB is enough when I have options for up to 32GB . (I have a Touch Pro, not a Treo Pro, but still some of the same benefits apply.)

And you don't know yet if file transfer to the Pre will be fast. Just because it will look like a flash drive does not mean it will transfer files copied to it from a PC very quickly. How will it compare with a MicroSD card in a card reader? How will it compare with WM devices that have a built in Mass Storage mode?
    Agree totally,
    IMHO , an average tech junkie who either has a family with kids, or single or a music lover will consume more than 8 Gig of disk space for the songs, movies, pictures .... etc.

Since PALM is not giving external SD option , bumping the existing 8Gig to 16 Gig is a great strategy and will calm the nerves of all who are in favor of external SD
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I got my iphone filled with video but the only time it gets watched is when my daughter wants to see her shows in the car.

That's not the point though. If you're going to make a nice device with such a good screen, throw in storage and all that, then they need to just finish it up and make the process easy.

They aim for both ends but leave big question marks with lack of desktop syncing (business end) and lack of management and storage (ipod end). Just frustrating because its like the best sundae ever made and they won't give you a spoon. This is easy stuff..the hard stuff is done. One would think they thought this out and haven't told us yet. But its Palm and history still says you shouldn't assume anything with them based on their previous marketing.

They gotta have some space for the easily build "new and improved" model that they can sell when the Pre is old news. Kinda like the original iPhone not having 3G, just so that the next model would have it.
    Gotta bump the sales around the holidays. I see a price slash and storage bump then.
    What huge files does everyone have that makes 8gb not be enough?
    Manny the point is that people have been saying that since floppies came in 90k.

Competing devices in this category come in 16 gb or up to 32 gb capacity for a reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Agree totally,
    IMHO , an average tech junkie who either has a family with kids, or single or a music lover will consume more than 8 Gig of disk space for the songs, movies, pictures .... etc.

Since PALM is not giving external SD option , bumping the existing 8Gig to 16 Gig is a great strategy and will calm the nerves of all who are in favor of external SD
    Yea, I've got my music and my kid's music and everything else I want in terms of media on my MicroSDHC card. And my kids don't want to hear a lecture about managing space limits when we get in the car and they want to hear a certain song .

(You try lecturing kids under the age of 5 years old about data space limitations .)

I'm just happy that they like music I find to be good for children their age, so I happily play what they request.

And companies like Garmin put their maps on a proprietary MicroSD card. While the Pre does not have stand alone GPS, the lack of a MicroSD slot limits navigation options even more. (Good thing they demand you have an Everything Plan with the Pre or you might be struggling to find navigation software.)
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Yea, I've got my music and my kid's music and everything else I want in terms of media on my MicroSDHC card. And my kids don't want to hear a lecture about managing space limits when we get in the car and they want to hear a certain song .

(You try lecturing kids under the age of 5 years old about data space limitations .)

I'm just happy that they like music I find to be good for children their age, so I happily play what they request.

And companies like Garmin put their maps on a proprietary MicroSD card. While the Pre does not have stand alone GPS, the lack of a MicroSD slot limits navigation options even more. (Good thing they demand you have an Everything Plan with the Pre or you might be struggling to find navigation software.)
    Agree,
    I have a tuner card for my PC that records videos. I move all those Elmos and Dora videos to my SD card.
    Besides, my music collection is about 9 Gig songs on my five year old iPod.

I can't have all the videos and music moved to Pre for sure.

And there is another issue of photos , hmm. They are almost reaching 5 gig range.

16 gig would be nice, it might hurt the bottom line by about 5-10 dollars.
    Which is a lot of money, specially if they can manage to sell couple of million of these.

On the other hand, just about anyone who bought Pre would not be complaining much ( sure , you can never get satisfied with 16 gig).

Having said that , average user will not be using all of the 8 Gig. It will be a nice option to release a 16gig model and charge more for the demanding users.

good point
    I'm thinking that the Treo Pro's square (320x320) screen might prove more beneficial than the Pre's 320x480, given the placement of the keyboard.

I suspect in the not so distant future, we'll see comments that say things such as:
    "I really like the Pre, but I'm always turning the device to landscape to read things and when I need to type I have to either try typing sideways or turn things back to portrait mode. I sure wish there was a way to have the keyboard under the screen when in landscape"

And with no soft keyboard there won't even be that option in landscape. With the Treo Pro the screen is a perfect square, so the keyboard can remain easily accessible, while viewing anything.

It seems with the Treo line, Palm understood, that if you have the keyboard fixed at the bottom of the device in portrait, you should use a square screen. But they're going to do the Pre differently and for some tasks it's not going to really work out well.
    I'm thinking that the Treo Pro's square (320x320) screen might prove more beneficial than the Pre's 320x480, given the placement of the keyboard.

I suspect in the not so distant future, we'll see comments that say things such as:
    "I really like the Pre, but I'm always turning the device to landscape to read things and when I need to type I have to either try typing sideways or turn things back to portrait mode. I sure wish there was a way to have the keyboard under the screen when in landscape"

And with no soft keyboard there won't even be that option in landscape. With the Treo Pro the screen is a perfect square, so the keyboard can remain easily accessible, while viewing anything.

It seems with the Treo line, Palm understood, that if you have the keyboard fixed at the bottom of the device in portrait, you should use a square screen. But they're going to do the Pre differently and for some tasks it's not going to really work out well.
    Depends on how you look at it. Why does it matter if it's square or rectangular in portrait mode? If you think about it, on the Pre, you get to see all you get to see on the Pro while typing, plus more. At least that's how I look at it.... 120 more pixels to view more of the text I am typing.

The square screen is more of an oddball in todays cell phone environment...what other popular phone do you know that has a square screen...?

There's no possible way for me to disagree more with pretty much everything you've said in this thread, but since I've already done the storage argument to death, I'll start here.

I can't imagine the above being a popular sentiment. I have a Centro and I have an iPod Touch 16GB, so I use both of these form factors regularly. I have used Safari a lot, and while I've done landscape browsing occasionally in forums or whatnot, I (and I would think a lot of people) use that browsing mode in order to read a lot of text, not to enter it. Yes, Apple is now adding a landscape keyboard, but it clearly wasn't a major priority for them, nor should it have been. Palm will likely add a landscape keyboard, along with other usability tweaks once the masses get their hands on it. Meanwhile, the Treo Pro is pretty much fixed with its orientation - which if you love it, is great. But I like having the various options the Pre form factor will afford me both out of the box and down the line.

...on a much tinier, fixed perspective screen. Again - if that's your thing, great. I do love my Centro, but I'm tired of the form factor and the tiny screen. I'm also done with styli.

Very few tasks, I think, and it's easy to "fix".
    Depends on how you look at it. Why does it matter if it's square or rectangular in portrait mode? If you think about it, on the Pre, you get to see all you get to see on the Pro while typing, plus more. At least that's how I look at it.... 120 more pixels to view more of the text I am typing.
    Yea it depends, but when you're looking at posts here on your Pre, have it turned sideways and want to respond to my comments you're going to see what I'm saying first had .

The square screen is more of an oddball in todays cell phone environment...what other popular phone do you know that has a square screen...?

Samsung SGH-i780

The Centro is pretty popular, sold millions, 320x320 .

Some other device makers using bottom keyboards are placing the screen in landscape, like the HTC Maple. And it's using the more common QVGA resolution.
    Tell you the truth....again.... matter of personal preference, but on my Touch, using Opera 9.5, I NEVER go in landscape mode. I look at your posts in Portrait mode and they look perfectly legible that way to me.

And yeah, the now old Centro and all the other old Palm devices have the square screen, and yes, there are tons of phones that follow the Blackberry/MotoQ design, but again, as far as I am concerned, when you type on the Pre, it will be just like typing on one of those phones,.....with more screen area.

My buddy has a Touch Pro, and yes, the keyboard is big and wide, but that's just more work due to longer finger travel. I find the Pre form factor (based on demos on pictures only) absolutley perfect.
    Last edited by MannyZ28; 03/31/2009 at 11:47 PM.
    If the landscape-to-portrait switching is as fast as it appears to be in the demos, I don't think it will be that big a deal (for me) to be surfing in landscape and then quickly flip the phone to portrait and slide out the keyboard to enter some text.

The ease of switching back and forth between modes is really important.

Also the browser rendering is key. If the browser on the Pre can successfully render a column of text in its available screen width, I can imagine doing a lot of surfing in portrait rather than landscape. Blazer actually does a not so bad job of this most of the time, so I expect the Pre to be great at rendering a column of text too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If the landscape-to-portrait switching is as fast as it appears to be in the demos, I don't think it will be that big a deal (for me) to be surfing in landscape and then quickly flip the phone to portrait and slide out the keyboard to enter some text.

The ease of switching back and forth between modes is really important.

Also the browser rendering is key. If the browser on the Pre can successfully render a column of text in its available screen width, I can imagine doing a lot of surfing in portrait rather than landscape. Blazer actually does a not so bad job of this most of the time, so I expect the Pre to be great at rendering a column of text too.
    Very good point about the screen switching happening quickly. One reason why I don't do that frequently on my current Touch is because it takes forever on that phone. Opera Mobile 9.5 does a great job of re-formating the screen to fit the text in the column to the screen perfectly, and I am hoping the Pre will do it just as well.
    for web browsing, which usually requires some kind of text entry this is definitely the case.

I think that is why the other makers didn't go with the portrait mode slide down. Certain elements of the Pre seem to be form over function and that is one. The pre layout is kind of a novelty more oriented to texting and multimedia playback, and one can see why it was never adopted by the other makers.
    My buddy has a Touch Pro, and yes, the keyboard is big and wide, but that's just more work due to longer finger travel. I find the Pre form factor (based on demos on pictures only) absolutley perfect.
    For one handed stuff on my Touch Pro, I use the soft qwerty in portrait mode. But like I mentioned earlier, I think using the Pre slider will have its own issues in term of reach.

Here's something else I'm wondering about, in car use!!! Will a car holder be made for the Pre, that allows you to easily use the keyboard while in the car? Without a built in soft qwerty you'll need a holder that allows keyboard access and the Pre slider to remain open.

I know with my Touch Pro, it's hard to find car holders that keep the slider open, most assume you'll use the soft qwerty. There's one, but just one that is custom made to keep the slider open. I ended up hacking together something myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    for web browsing, which usually requires some kind of text entry this is definitely the case.

I think that is why the other makers didn't go with the portrait mode slide down. Certain elements of the Pre seem to be form over function and that is one. The pre layout is kind of a novelty more oriented to texting and multimedia playback, and one can see why it was never adopted by the other makers.
    Yea when thinking about it, I realized that is why device makers have been doing it that way. And then I thought about Pre and was like, oh-oh...
    Here's something else I'm wondering about, in car use!!! Will a car holder be made for the Pre, that allows you to easily use the keyboard while in the car? Without a built in soft qwerty you'll need a holder that allows keyboard access and the Pre slider to remain open.
    I'm sure somebody would accommodate this, but why would you put the Pre in a car holder and then want to use the QWERTY keyboard without holding it in your hand? Seems like that would be an inconvenient pain. Virtually everything you would need to do (dial numbers, hang up calls, use GPS) while using the Pre in a car could be done through the touchscreen without having to extend the slider.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast