Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I forgot about the touch guys.

Although,
    Kb out will be tricky with the Pre I guess.
    Yea, it seems you'd need a rather LONG thumb to manage everything.

And I'm wondering how easy/hard it will be to open and close the slider on the Pre with one hand.

They need a soft qwerty and soft dialpad, for instances where someone does not want to bother with the slider.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Yea, it seems you'd need a rather LONG thumb to manage everything.

And I'm wondering how easy/hard it will be to open and close the slider on the Pre with one hand.

They need a soft qwerty and soft dialpad, for instances where someone does not want to bother with the slider.
    sure, a soft qwerty is a must. I was thinking how strong the slider can be given that folks slide in and out about ten times minimum a day which means 3600 slides a years.
    If you are searching web and texting , then the number really goes high.

A soft slider for common tasks is a must addition.
    Oh oooohhhhh. Looks like another item was missed. Seems the Pre has no soft qwerty built in...

From the article Precentral.net: Palm Pre Keyboard (emphasis added)
    I've never had the pleasure of using a vertical slider, but I would imagine that I would like it even better than a horizontal slider. My only concern with the vertical vs. a horizontal slider would be when viewing the Pre in landscape mode and needing to type something while there. I've seen videos demoed on the Pre in landscape mode and remember someone at the Palm keynote showing a web page in landscape mode. But you'd have to have an onscreen keyboard in order to type in landscape mode. And we know that the Pre doesn't ship with such software, though there will probably be 3rd party apps for that.
    And just look at this:

Once that slider is open, it's a long reach using one hand to manage the screen and keyboard. Way longer than with Treos and Centros.

The Treo Pro may have a crap soft keyboard built-in, but the hard buttons are easier to reach and the soft keyboard tech is already there for 3rd party soft keyboard makers to build upon. Seems it might be a little harder with the Pre, because there is not an already existing soft keyboard foundation.
    I came back to the Treo from a TYTN because of the static kb.

I am excited for the Pre, it's just not for me, soft kb prolly won't do it either.

I just prefer the Treo Form Factor.
    Just call me Berd.
    All I can add is that if the Pre's kb is anything like the Pro's (I know, "smile" vs "straight" for one), then I am not interested. I have picked up the Pro twice now at BB and I hate that kb.
    They should've designed the Pre to have a side-slide out kb, like the Touch Pro. I think those kbs are easier to use.

Also, Sprint.com has added a bunch of new phones to their line up... Including the Pre....*cough*... I mean PRO.
    Last edited by jknorr; 03/14/2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Fo rme it's all about applications, applications, applications.

Ok for medical use, good if there'll be Epocrates but there are many more medical applications out there and I need to see a port to WebOS for the ones I use before it's feasible.
    I also use VOIP so the lack of Skype would be a big negative.
    Hopefully the others like iSilo, Handbase, SplashID get a WebOS port.

In lieu of suitable applications, I would have to wait out and see. In the meantime, my Treo Pro does all I need.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    lack of soft keyboard will be a huge disappointment for many.
    A soft keyboard can and will be added later by palm or a third party company.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I think the gist of it is people that work at corporations that only allow WinMo or BB will be forced to use the Treo Pro, everyone else will probably go with the Pre.
    Yep...my corporation already got rid of all Palm OS and is not allowing any additional BB. So it is WM or bust. I've been surviving with my 755p and just retyping all appointments on it. I just don't have the will to keep doing that. So I will just have to break down and go the Treo Pro route.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I was very disappointed, initially, by the vertical keyboard when everyone else is going horizontal. Until I really looked at how I use mine...and I think Palm did some good humaneering on this. For 95% of our use, one hand is what we're after, and you'll be able to even slide out the keyboard with one hand, type your entries, and move on...yes, it'll be a pain if you're seriously surfing the web, or working in a forum! in horiz. mode to type without a soft keyboard...effectively negating the use of it horizontally at all unless someone does come up with an on screen keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    [*]An extensive already existing base of compatible applications and tools (it's Windows Mobile)
    You forgot to mention that the Pro can run PalmOS apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    You forgot to mention that the Pro can run PalmOS apps.
    Touche!

StyleTap
    I have to agree with those that say it's the applications stupid. If the Pre comes out tomorrow how soon will it be before people realize that they will be boxed in with just the apps Palm gives you and a few easy to port apps ala Pandora.

The lack of flash support till the end of the year is also going to keep me from buying early. I wonder how long it will take apps to be written like Skype, Slingplayer, Orb, Coreplayer, Ptunes, Real games and other apps that require more than the webkit to develop. Also you can't record videos from the camera yet.

For me I'll wait till later in the year, but I'm sure there are a lot of early adopters that will be happy with the Pre as is. I love the potential and form factor, but not ready to be one of the early adopters this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    think the gist of it is people that work at corporations that only allow WinMo or BB will be forced to use the Treo Pro, everyone else will probably go with the Pre.
    I disagree.

The are a bazillion powerful apps for win mobile. you have 50 million wm sold and gartner extimates 20 million more in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    For me, the memory issue with the Pro negates it for me as a choice. No matter how it is spun, I cannot stand a Treo Pro without at least 128mb ram in the year 2009, period. ~47mb ram free is a pittance in this day and age. Even my current 700wx has more *usable* ram..
    I don't know about spinning it but I opened every major program on the pro as well as garmin and tomtom simultaneously and had no problems. Whatever is going on with pro memory it does 10x better than our 700xwx which despite indicated available memory choked on half the number of programs!
    I like the fact that more stuff will become available as time goes on. Think about it, when the iPhone came out, there is nothing you could add to it other than your media. If you didn't want to jail break your phone, you were stuck with what ever apps came out of the box. But still, lots of people bought it because it was a cool phone and totally new. As time went on, the iPhone became, and still is, becoming more functional, and that's what keeps it fresh. The same will happen to the Pre, it will wow us with the new webOS, and just as we're getting used to it, more and more functionality will become available. I like this approach much better than the "here you go, that's all we got, have fun" approach.

This is the first time I will be an early adopter, but I am thoroughly looking forward to it!
    no removable storage is killer for me, i went with the pro also I don't want to wait. winmo does suck a big one tho.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by hannip View Post
    i have to agree with those that say it's the applications stupid. If the pre comes out tomorrow how soon will it be before people realize that they will be boxed in with just the apps palm gives you and a few easy to port apps ala pandora.

The lack of flash support till the end of the year is also going to keep me from buying early. I wonder how long it will take apps to be written like skype, slingplayer, orb, coreplayer, ptunes, real games and other apps that require more than the webkit to develop. Also you can't record videos from the camera yet.

For me i'll wait till later in the year, but i'm sure there are a lot of early adopters that will be happy with the pre as is. I love the potential and form factor, but not ready to be one of the early adopters this time.
    What huge files does everyone have that makes 8gb not be enough? I agree, I too was disappointed that it didn't have a micro sd slot, but it sure isn't a deal breaker for me. If your main concern is carrying all your movies and pictures with you...well, that shouldn't be a problem if you just manage your favorite movies and music wisely, you don't need to carry everything with you. And since the Pre shows up like a flash drive on your computer, copy and pasting a few files back and forth shouldn't be a big ordeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    What huge files does everyone have that makes 8gb not be enough? I agree, I too was disappointed that it didn't have a micro sd slot, but it sure isn't a deal breaker for me. If your main concern is carrying all your movies and pictures with you...well, that shouldn't be a problem if you just manage your favorite movies and music wisely, you don't need to carry everything with you. And since the Pre shows up like a flash drive on your computer, copy and pasting a few files back and forth shouldn't be a big ordeal.
    Well you already know what we have. Movies, music and so on. I want to carry as much of it with me as I desire, I don't care to have to manage an 8GB limit without options to easily go beyond 8GB without any additional add ons. The limit for MicroSD is 32GB, so if the Pre had 32GB on board I'd say it does not need a MicroSD slot .

I guess if the Pre only had 4GB you could say the same as you've said, but sorry, neither 4GB or 8GB or 16GB is enough when I have options for up to 32GB . (I have a Touch Pro, not a Treo Pro, but still some of the same benefits apply.)

And you don't know yet if file transfer to the Pre will be fast. Just because it will look like a flash drive does not mean it will transfer files copied to it from a PC very quickly. How will it compare with a MicroSD card in a card reader? How will it compare with WM devices that have a built in Mass Storage mode?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast