Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since we're seeing enough, maybe we should keep a thread for em. Please no hardware specs stuff such as amount of storage.

McNamee's statements to Forbes about the iphone stuff. (quite possibly the biggest one as the media interpreted whatever way they chose and had a party)

Sprint/Palm hosting a webinar that reveals nothing and insults the people they invited along with the cherry picking of easy questions to answer.

Sprint/palm saying "4-5 cards" that could be run before things become "unwieldy" (I've seen a few articles now just going with this)

Sprint/Palm talking about a lack of 3d gaming apps. Ok, its being honest, but you don't have to say that much about it. Keep the talk on your strengths.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think the McNamee thing wasn't that bad. It got them free press even though it was partially negative. Comparing the Pre to the Iphone is the best way to get people to talk about it. And when you hear an Iphone fanboy badmouthing a phone you know they think it's real competition.
    This has yet to be seen, but possibly requiring current customers on non SERO accounts, already paying for voice and unlimited data, to have to switch to an Everything Plan.

And please lets not argue this in here. There are plenty of other threads if you want to argue and debate if this will or will not be a requirement.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    -Going exclusively with Sprint. I see far more executive types with Verizon or AT&T on a daily basis.

-Not allowing SERO accounts with the device (one of the main reasons thrifty power users remain on Sprint nowadays)

-The Osborne effect of having such as strong showing at CES then following it with months of silence and regurgitating the same ol' talking points. This is apparently especially disastrous for sales of their current lineup of products, much like the early m500 announcement in '01 killed off Palm's V/III/m-series sales as everyone awaited the new models.

-Making no kind of clear & concise statement about supporting (or not) legacy Garnet users & customers for X amount of time after WebOS' introduction. This is especially annoying in light of the complete lack of Garnet support on the Pre.

In the big picture, the McNamee stuff will only be picked up on by a handful of geeks who monitor the tech sites on a daily basis.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  5.    #5  
    I think Sprint was a nobrainer myself. They need the marketing. Besides 6 months isn't that long..before you know it the Palm will be a presence on the other carriers.

They haven't really addressed SERO customers.

The Osbourne thing doesn't really hurt the Pre though. The announcement did raise the stock and made it possible to sell some. The Treo Pro is aimed at enterprise. Centro sells is where it may have hurt but i'd argue many still don't know about the Pre. Have to see sales first.

Agree with last point.
    I think this thread is a bit premature (sorry) since the Pre has yet to be marketed fully yet. We are still in the nebulos region between official announcemnt and official release.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I think Sprint was a nobrainer myself. They need the marketing. Besides 6 months isn't that long.
    6 months not that long? Look what just 2 months since the announcement has done to us folks in here
    j/k
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Ever since the reports of Dan Hesse not being in anymore Sprint commercials, and that Sprint is changing their campaign dynamic, I'm excited to see how Sprint will market the Palm Pre and hopefully not screw it up.
    I agree with it a hundred percent. Sprint should have been allowed to do their twenty minute marketing blather, and then Palm should've taken REAL questions and answered them.

That being said, it's a small misstep, and most everything else they've been doing right.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Hopefully sprint and palm will see how badly this bombed with the media and give people some real details
    I think along saying nothing, repeating the same information when you have the opportunity to say new stuff is absurd. It makes the potential consumers annoyed. You don't want us thinking crazy thoughts in our head. Plus the crumbs keep us holding on.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I think Sprint was a nobrainer myself. They need the marketing. Besides 6 months isn't that long..before you know it the Palm will be a presence on the other carriers.

They haven't really addressed SERO customers.

The Osbourne thing doesn't really hurt the Pre though. The announcement did raise the stock and made it possible to sell some. The Treo Pro is aimed at enterprise. Centro sells is where it may have hurt but i'd argue many still don't know about the Pre. Have to see sales first.

Agree with last point.
    They should give it to SERO customers for an additional cost , say 10 bucks.

This will improve their bottom line revenues and keep the happy campers for another two years.

I am sure there is a million of them ( SERO) out there. Which translates to 10 million extra money per month.
  13. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sprint did blunders with Instinct,

I hope they will do better this time with PALM.
    "Don't talk about iPhone but show some cool features" should be their motto.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Yeah, it will be a presence in other carriers as the competition has plenty of time to rip off the Pre's features and bring it to market before Palm can even get the Pre out the door!

Can't wait to see what Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 does to hurt the Pre's advantage!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
  15.    #16  
    Who are those companies? Which ones are coming out before July? Before the end of the year? All ripping the Pre's features? Really?

I understand the impatience..but that's silly.

I tell you again, its not apple. They didn't sit there and re engineer the OS and phone because of palm in 2 freaking months.
    Who are those companies? Which ones are coming out before July? Before the end of the year? All ripping the Pre's features? Really?

I understand the impatience..but that's silly.

I tell you again, its not apple. They didn't sit there and re engineer the OS and phone because of palm in 2 freaking months.
    We've been over this before.

I reject your notion they'd have to "completely reengineer the OS". A few tweaks and your there. The iPhone OS is based closely off of OS X. Last time I checked I was able to run multiple applications on my Mac quite well. Synergy? Let's call it MobileMe 2.0.

You seem to take the view that Palm came up with these great Pre features from scratch. Apple wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. I see it more as they ripped off a ton of what worked on the iPhone and made some much needed improvements. Accelerometer, Desktop like Web Browser, Multi-touch, Proximity Sensor, App Store... Where have I seen that before?

Don't get me wrong it looks like a great phone, and better then the current iPhone. I see it as more a well-executed (in theory) evolution of what Apple started with the iPhone OS.

All Apple has to do is rip off the features they improved and that would seriously kneecap the Pre. Would Pre's still sell? Absolutely! Would it still be a great phone? Yes. But that would make it more of a 9th inning double then a grand slam it has the potential to be.

The question is will Apple see the light and add multitasking, or will they decide to stick to the K.I.S.S. principle and decide that would be too complicated. More like WILL they, not CAN they.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    We've been over this before.

I reject your notion they'd have to "completely reengineer the OS". A few tweaks and your there. The iPhone OS is based closely off of OS X. Last time I checked I was able to run multiple applications on my Mac quite well. Synergy? Let's call it MobileMe 2.0.

You seem to take the view that Palm came up with these great Pre features from scratch. Apple wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. I see it more as they ripped off a ton of what worked on the iPhone and made some much needed improvements. Accelerometer, Desktop like Web Browser, Multi-touch, Proximity Sensor, App Store... Where have I seen that before?

Don't get me wrong it looks like a great phone, and better then the current iPhone. I see it as more a well-executed (in theory) evolution of what Apple started with the iPhone OS.

All Apple has to do is rip off the features they improved and that would seriously kneecap the Pre. Would Pre's still sell? Absolutely! Would it still be a great phone? Yes. But that would make it more of a 9th inning double then a grand slam it has the potential to be.

The question is will Apple see the light and add multitasking, or will they decide to stick to the K.I.S.S. principle and decide that would be too complicated. More like WILL they, not CAN they.
    Last I checked, MobileMe costs $100 a year, and you're not paying anything for the Synergy feature that you refer to as "MobileMe 2.0." That in itself is a huge difference. And with MobileMe, you have to move everything you use over to Apple, as opposed to leaving it where it is currently.

And while Apple might not have to 'completely reengineer the OS' to add multitasking, in the end, what they'd have is just the same as WM's multitasking, which adds extra steps in order to switch from one thing to another. You have to go back to the home screen/ start menu, and basically it's the same exact process as opening the application for the first time to return to it. What they'd have to completely reegineer the OS to do would be to add a completely new GUI to it like Palm has with the card system, which is as much of it's multitasking as anything.

Besides that, since as you mention, the iPhone uses a version of OS X, it uses much more resources, which leaves you less to work with for applications to have open. (Since the iPhone is Apple trying to strip things down from the desktop, while the Pre is Palm building from the ground up).

Sure, Palm has been... inspired... to put it nicely, by some of the features of the iPhone, it's not like they're the only ones. Pretty much every next-generation smartphone since the iPhone has included an accelerometer, most have a proximity sensor now, all have an App Store in the works, all have a desktop class browser now (or are trying to have it at least), etc.

And as noted in the front-page article about the whole patent war, there are just as many things that Apple and everyone else borrowed from Palm and Handspring. I mean hell, if there wasn't a VisorPhone and then the original Treo, we might not even have smartphones at all right now. If it wasn't for Palm, not very many people were interested in the PDA after Apple's complete and utter failure with Newton. (I realize that's an exaggeration, but just trying to demonstrate the point that pretty much the whole field is a derivative of Palm and Handspring).
    I don't know about reinventing the GUI. If you look at the "Tab" system in the Safari browser, it seems an awful lot like Palm's card system. Yes I know the differences between the two. No, I'm not trying to say they stole the card system from Apple. Just that the iPhone OS has a similar GUI, just in a different spot.

Yes I agree that MobileMe does cost. In fact it's WAYYY over priced. I wouldn't be completely surprised if Synergy ends up costing something at some point.

My point about the similarities between the iPhone is not in anyway to knock Palm for their efforts. It's to say you wouldn't have to do a ground up redesign to have Pre like functionality on the iPhone platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I don't know about reinventing the GUI. If you look at the "Tab" system in the Safari browser, it seems an awful lot like Palm's card system. Yes I know the differences between the two. No, I'm not trying to say they stole the card system from Apple. Just that the iPhone OS has a similar GUI, just in a different spot.

My point about the similarities between the iPhone is not in anyway to knock Palm for their efforts. It's to say you wouldn't have to do a ground up redesign to have Pre like functionality on the iPhone platform.
    Yeah, but it's not like they could just copy and paste the code from the browser GUI to get that same feature to work throughout the OS, it'd take a ton of work to get that to happen for the entire OS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast