Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, but it's not like they could just copy and paste the code from the browser GUI to get that same feature to work throughout the OS, it'd take a ton of work to get that to happen for the entire OS.
    Well the low level OS capable of multitasking there. A similar interface is somewhere else. I don't think that's necessarily"a ton of work". If it is, I think it's a ton of work Apple is more then capable of pulling off.

Like I said I think if the iPhone doesn't get multitasking it will be a product philosophy decision, not because it's too technically difficult. Apple can get stuff done, sometimes they are just lazy about wanting to. i.e. Copy and Paste and MMS.

In one post you admit the OS is capable of it, but they don't have a GUI. In the next post you agree they have a GUI, but not the underlying code. Which is it? I know it isn't as simple as copy and paste, but can't we agree it's possible, especially with Apple's vast resources?
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    Well the low level OS capable of multitasking there. A similar interface is somewhere else. I don't think that's necessarily"a ton of work". If it is, I think it's a ton of work Apple is more then capable of pulling off.

Like I said I think if the iPhone doesn't get multitasking it will be a product philosophy decision, not because it's too technically difficult. Apple can get stuff done, sometimes they are just lazy about wanting to. i.e. Copy and Paste and MMS.

In one post you admit the OS is capable of it, but they don't have a GUI. In the next post you agree they have a GUI, but not the underlying code. Which is it? I know it isn't as simple as copy and paste, but can't we agree it's possible, especially with Apple's vast resources?
    OS X is Unix/BSD based, so of course underneath it all there's an underlying framework for multitasking. But you'd have to build an interface on top of that.

They have the code for the GUI to display an image for a webpage thumbnail. That's nowhere near having the code for the GUI to display a nice interface to switch between applications. There's no contradiction in those two posts. It's possible, yes, but won't exactly be an easy job, it'll take a complete rewrite of their current application GUI. Even for Apple, that's not exactly something that they could do in a few months.

What's more likely, is that Apple will finally get their "push notifications" set up and fake the multitasking.
    I don't care what anyone says but offering lackluster info when they had a chance to wow people again, the week before a major competitor announces something that the general public is waiting for, is a BAD MOVE. Plain and simple.

Even if you don't think the iPhone is a competitor, what about the fact that Apple can easily overshadow the Pre(if they don't blow it themselves) with the 3.0 announcement? You know very well people hang on what Apple says these days. There are already people making excuses and also manufacturers falling over backwards over that new Shuffle with the pathetic headphones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #24  
    I would think it'd be better if they waited til after (not before) apple's little preview to release any new info.

That said, they could've made the webinar a bit more intermediate level and revealed a nugget or two.

Apple is a monster, granted, but i think some build it into even more than that. Apple wants to sell stuff, make it pretty, and make money. But when it comes to multitasking, the current hardware they use won't support it well, battery life gets worse, UI deviates from being childishly simple, etc.

I could see it next year in some form but not this June or July.

Also, apple has to worry about 25000 apps now when making changes. Nevermind if 95% of them are junk. Apple has always underwhelmed feature wise and this 3.0 will too as apple looks ahead to what 4.0 and 5.0 might have.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I would think it'd be better if they waited til after (not before) apple's little preview to release any new info.

That said, they could've made the webinar a bit more intermediate level and revealed a nugget or two.

Apple is a monster, granted, but i think some build it into even more than that. Apple wants to sell stuff, make it pretty, and make money. But when it comes to multitasking, the current hardware they use won't support it well, battery life gets worse, UI deviates from being childishly simple, etc.

Also, apple has to worry about 25000 apps now when making changes. Nevermind if 95% of them are junk. Apple has always underwhelmed feature wise and this 3.0 will too as apple looks ahead to what 4.0 and 5.0 might have.
    You have a very valid point about that 25000 apps. But APPLE can zap multitasking feature with no sweat. They have the knowhow in computers.

But your point about the APPS , is scary , the SDK needs to be changed. You are talking millions of dollars that will get impacted. APPLE suddenly looks like Microsoft now :-)
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Two possible design scenarios that I can think of via which Apple can implement multitasking and app switching...

1. Create a multi-page app launcher (the bottom four apps) and add all running apps to it. You can scroll to the right to see all the running apps besides the main apps, i.e. Phone, Safari etc. (Remember that the main apps are *always* running and already allow switching without losing state)

2. Hold down the home button *when you are inside an app* to bring up card view (similar to Safari's tabs and [ahem!] Pre's card view) of currently running applications.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Two possible design scenarios that I can think of via which Apple can implement multitasking and app switching...

1. Create a multi-page app launcher (the bottom four apps) and add all running apps to it. You can scroll to the right to see all the running apps besides the main apps, i.e. Phone, Safari etc. (Remember that the main apps are *always* running and already allow switching without losing state)

2. Hold down the home button *when you are inside an app* to bring up card view (similar to Safari's tabs and [ahem!] Pre's card view) of currently running applications.
    3. replace the app launcher with something like the windows 7 taskbar
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

They're getting worse, LOL! But there's a report out that MMS will finally be included and I'm seriously hoping for copy/paste and draft/template save for messaging. If 3.0 has no new features but a GUI upgrade, I'm going to bet even Apple will get backlash. But 3.0 should mean something significantly new, and it better not be just MMS.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12