1.    #1  
    Most of you probably read the title and were like WHAT THE HECK!? I know, i know... its stupid to compare the two, but I just saw the pictures of the new ipod shuffle and of course like everything else, my mind went to the Pre. I realize they're not anywhere in the same league in terms of device, but I just found it interesting that something as tiny as the new shuffle could have 4GB of space, yet the Pre is probably 100x bigger and only has 8GB. I'm just thinking this is significant cause people keep arguing over what the standard storage space is now-a-days, and yet by June there could quite possibly be an 8GB shuffle! How depressing will that be if one of the smallest devices on the market that has 1000th of the capability of the Pre will have the same amount of storage space? I'm starting to see a drastic shift in standards, and I hope that Palm has a good plan with at least a 16GB Pre right around the corner.
    I'm coming in on my centro here so have no clue if apple did something radical to the shuffle. but if it's the same no screen no choice of how your music is played player I would definitely be thinking a bit more than 'what the heck.' Seriously, the shuffle is such a waste of a player outside of it having decent sound quality.

If I wanted to make a comparison, make it against a player from a company that gets what people want, Sandisk and their 8gb Clip. Is practically just as tiny with a screen and tag supported music playing options (album. artist, genre and so on) along with playlist support. And it's under $100.

Better yet, go with their prev gen Nano like Fuze that'll do video and come in under $100 for an 8gb version with an expansion slot that can take it to 24gb currently. Imagine when 32gb mSD cards come out and you can have a 40gb flash player that does video and is the size of an ipod nano.

Personally, I could care less about Ipod comparisons because I, like many, would never buy an ipod. Yes they might be the biggest selling players, but the Sansa players sell very well too and are pretty much untouchable when it comes to $$/gigabyte when you include card expansion.

You could also throw in the Cowon D2 which is about the same footprint of the Fuze but double the thickness. It is a full touscreen player that can be themed and skinned and comes in 8 & 16gb flavors with a full size SDHC card slot.

It's a lmost a 3yr old design that is selling well enough for them to make a new D2+ model with better battery life (while it has best in class battery life to begin with), improved sound and an updated GUI. 16gb model comes in at $170. With a 32gb card you're coming in at a bit less than $270 for a 48gb flash player. That price will drop more as 32gb cards become more of the norm. The D2+ in all black is pretty sweet too.
    This place is like Groundhog Day with the storage discussions. There's literally nothing new or interesting to say about it until the Pre actually launches.
    Green apples vs lemon....???
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I'm coming in on my centro here so have no clue if apple did something radical to the shuffle.
    They did. No more buttons on the device but now just a single button on the headphones. It does announce what song is currently playing though.
    The OP was right. It's a stupid question. Nothing more needs to be said.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    wow. that's just dumb. Now you're forced to use their crappy headphones because they out-innovated themselves? Geez. BFD that it's half the size. Relocating buttons to another spot just shifts the size and weight elsewhere. I'll take a Sansa Clip any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    They did. No more buttons on the device but now just a single button on the headphones. It does announce what song is currently playing though.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Personally, if this Goat had to choose between a TI OMAP processor, or 16 gigs of memory compared to 8... I would choose the faster processor.

One thing Palm keeps saying is that to keep the sleek design of the phone, they would have to make the phone a bit uglier. But how much hardware space does a microSD slot take up anyway? I'm just curious. I personally can't even fill up my 2gig MicroSD in my Blackberry. So it's of no issue to the likes of me.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Can't argue about a faster processor. And from what I've seen and what others have posted, the mSD card slot doesn't take up any more room than a sim card slot. I'd rather see a card slot with a 2 or 4gb card included (since they are cheaper than dirt) and let the user upgrade it if they feel the need.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.