Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So they hold a joint webinar and release no new information, just another misstep in a long line by both companies. The longer this goes, the less likely I think Sprint/Palm can pull the rabbit out of the hat.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    I'm not sure. I think the longer they hold out & don't release new significant info, the easier it will be for their competitors (mainly Apple) to get a grasp around their (Palm) neck.
    I still think the Pre will be a great phone... maybe even better than the iphone and android phones coming out, but if they're really going to wait 'til June, I expect a MUCH smaller customer base than Palm is hoping for. Less customers = less third party apps, which means webOS will not pick up steam. Who knows what will really happen, but I'm still hoping they're smart enough to not wait until June.
    Never underestimate Palm's ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
  5.    #5  
    Lots of things have to go right for a product line to be successful, marketing, timing and sometimes just good luck. Sprint/Palm need this to be near perfect, personally I think if they wait until June they will miss the mark.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    "We're better than you are. We have better stuff."

"You don't get it, Steve. That doesn't matter!"
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    Lots of things have to go right for a product line to be successful, marketing, timing and sometimes just good luck. Sprint/Palm need this to be near perfect, personally I think if they wait until June they will miss the mark.
    I agree 100%....
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    The Pre is (will) be a great phone but the longer the wait the less they will sell I think
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Its not a done deal, but its not rocket science we are talking about.
    They did what they said they would do. The webinar was about how Sprint and the Pre go hand in hand.

From my perch, everything seems to be going as planned/orchestrated.

A lot has been going on lately. Yes, no price and no release date but things are happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    They did what they said they would do. The webinar was about how Sprint and the Pre go hand in hand.

From my perch, everything seems to be going as planned/orchestrated.

A lot has been going on lately. Yes, no price and no release date but things are happening.
    I don't think anyone's claiming that they are deviating from their own plan... just that their own plan is a bad plan. They may be doing things, but from our perspective on the outside, things are not happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    So they hold a joint webinar and release no new information, just another misstep in a long line by both companies. The longer this goes, the less likely I think Sprint/Palm can pull the rabbit out of the hat.
    Their competition gets tougher every day they wait. After a certain point a lot of people (maybe even me) are going to want to wait to see what the June iPhone refresh will bring. Or the new Blackberry hitting VZW around that time. Or the new........ blah blah blah.
    It will come out by June, I am still guessing April, and it will be a success. I think the risk of slow response to bugs is higher given Palms cash situation. A smartphone launch like this is going to bleed cash until hitting a break even of 1 million sold. We don't know what terms Sprint has but I would bet they are not prepayng one million devices. The GSM development has efficiencies but will still cost until launched and longer.
    some of these comments suprise me. This isn't a magic trick palm is trying to perform .they are relesing a mjor new product for there company. they are doing it slowly and methocily. This is the way u move toward a great product. it takes time

and even after the relase, as aero mentioned, there support model will be very important. that to takes time to get in place.

No one is more aware of the fincial need to get this phone launched smoothly. Let's give Palm. the new Palm management a chance to fail

the Treo days are behind us.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    some of these comments suprise me. This isn't a magic trick palm is trying to perform .they are relesing a mjor new product for there company. they are doing it slowly and methocily. This is the way u move toward a great product. it takes time

and even after the relase, as aero mentioned, there support model will be very important. that to takes time to get in place.

No one is more aware of the fincial need to get this phone launched smoothly. Let's give Palm. the new Palm management a chance to fail

the Treo days are behind us.
    It would be nice if Palm at least kept to their promise and kept the developers in the loop. I know they're trying to be really secretive right now, but an SDK... even a beta SDK would be a really nice step in the right direction. I understand that they don't want to get ahead of themselves, but if you put something out there as a beta, people have no right to complain about it. Also, if you do that, you can work out ALOT of problems before release with little to no cost to the company. I feel like Palm is focusing too much on being secretive and not enough on being open and honest. I don't have an iphone... I don't plan on having an iphone... and I don't like Apple's closed strategy. Anyone that hasn't jumped ship to the iphone or blackberry probably feels the same way as I do, and doesn't want Palm to play the same games as Apple.
    There's nothing going on in the next three months that would change my mind or have me think differently in terms of choosing another phone.

I'm sure someone will say iphone but there's no way i'm continuing that money sink along with crap 3g service.
    Why is it that people STILL think Palm and/or Sprint is being "secretive" or is "waiting" for...something?

No one has seen a Sprint-branded Pre. No one has seen Sprint-branded apps running on the Pre. No one has seen a finished WebOS. No one has seen finished hardware. In fact, no one outside of Sprint and Palm have seen, oh, a majority of the apps the Pre will ultimately sport. This is likely because these things are still coming together.They're getting it out as fast as they can.

If Palm is scraping the stock barrel to raise funds so that they can be solvent enough to launch the Pre, there is NO WAY they are "waiting" or "hiding" with the Pre. Similarly, Sprint wants to get customers on these plans ASAP and bring people in the stores to buy these handsets. What possible incentive does either Palm or Sprint have to delay?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    It would be nice if Palm at least kept to their promise and kept the developers in the loop. I know they're trying to be really secretive right now, but an SDK... even a beta SDK would be a really nice step in the right direction. I understand that they don't want to get ahead of themselves, but if you put something out there as a beta, people have no right to complain about it. Also, if you do that, you can work out ALOT of problems before release with little to no cost to the company. I feel like Palm is focusing too much on being secretive and not enough on being open and honest. I don't have an iphone... I don't plan on having an iphone... and I don't like Apple's closed strategy. Anyone that hasn't jumped ship to the iphone or blackberry probably feels the same way as I do, and doesn't want Palm to play the same games as Apple.
    I think this is a fare point. The quicker they get the SDK out, they full fill a promise and get a team of people working there product over. The best guess i can offer is that they are focusing all resources on the phones finalization and release, thus there is no one to work the SDK

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If Palm is scraping the stock barrel to raise funds so that they can be solvent enough to launch the Pre, there is NO WAY they are "waiting" or "hiding" with the Pre. Similarly, Sprint wants to get customers on these plans ASAP and bring people in the stores to buy these handsets. What possible incentive does either Palm or Sprint have to delay?
    they have no incentive. I fell the same way. They are not waiting, they are doing what they can in there current situation. And we all know Sprint wants this ASAP. You don;t have to be a company insider to see this
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I am starting to worry with it being just another month closer to June. That and if they do release the Pre in June or later, they will probably be in direct competition with the new iPhone. That is something I never worried about before.

Whatever they are going to do it needs to be big. Both Sprint and Palm have to give us the big bang with this campaign.
    Last edited by laravia18; 03/12/2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    That and if they do wait till June...
    Who, exactly, is waiting?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast