Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    they have no incentive. I fell the same way. They are not waiting, they are doing what they can in there current situation. And we all know Sprint wants this ASAP. You don;t have to be a company insider to see this
    I agree. I still feel it is likely that as recently as late fall their schedule might have been 4th q 2009 and that the entire project was advanced with palm doing sit downs with elevation and Sprint in early December and in return for money and carrier support pushed the project up rather than run out of money and die.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who, exactly, is waiting?
    The people who had false expectation based on believing easily disprovable and totally unfounded claims of Feb 15 or March 15. now have a false sense that it is late.
    Their perspective was skewed by rumors of release in that range that were: a) idiotic and obviously based on Pro; or b) malicious; or c) amateur stock manipulators; or d) people with no helpful information that simply sought to status here on treo central by starting endless threads on release dates.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who, exactly, is waiting?
    I should have said June or later for release...

IMO with people finding ways to switch from Sprint to other cell phone companies despite the news of the Pre, not having the phone ready for release just gives the competition time to convince people to switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I agree. I still feel it is likely that as recently as late fall their schedule might have been 4th q 2009 and that the entire project was advanced with palm doing sit downs with elevation and Sprint in early December and in return for money and carrier support pushed the project up rather than run out of money and die.
    The people who had false expectation based on believing easily disprovable and totally unfounded claims of Feb 15 or March 15. now have a false sense that it is late.
    Their perspective was skewed by rumors of release in that range that were: a) idiotic and obviously based on Pro; or b) malicious; or c) amateur stock manipulators; or d) people with no helpful information that simply sought to status here on treo central by starting endless threads on release dates.
    get off your high horse! this is an effing forum - the purpose of which is rumor, prediction, and speculation! stop attributing malice and stupidity to everyone's posts. it's offensive and insulting.

your arrogance and righteous indignation has grown tiresome. go to church.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    get off your high horse! this is an effing forum - the purpose of which is rumor, prediction, and speculation! stop attributing malice and stupidity to everyone's posts.
    I didn't attribute stupidity to everyone posts...only the tiny minority of people who posted or believed Feb 15 or March 15.

By the way the was no righteous indignation in my posts, there was in yours.

I am not indignant for the simple reason that like most people I didn't fall for those faked dates.

"Gekko @ 2/24/2009 12:28:18 PM # Q
    Per my call to Sprint today -
    Palm Pre
    March 15 Release Date
    $579 MSRP
    $299 with 2 Year New Contract
    Original Release Date was Feb 15"
    sure.
    Last edited by aero; 03/12/2009 at 10:43 PM.
    WOW! Saying this makes you sound very condescending.

Personally I didn't believe in the release in Feb or Mar, but no one knows the date and if they know, they are not allowed to say anything about it.

Acting like the Pre guru just makes you look like a snob or plain pretentious. I am assuming that you are neither of those things.

If you are tired of these kind of threads then you can always chose not to reply in them.
    Common sense ftw..
    Interesting turn of events to see aero defending Palm and me defending the hand wringers, but there you go.

I agree Palm is still having it's launch go as planned, as they have never said anything other than "first half of 2009". Neither they nor Sprint are dragging their feet as both companies should be very eager to have this out the door as soon as its ready.

However, I do think it's to their detriment the longer this drags out. For example, I think Apple could try to kneecap them by announcing Pre-like multitasking in OS 3.0 on Tuesday, even if it would only work on the beefier iPhone 3.0 hardware. As Syphon said, the bigger the gap between when the features are announced and launch, the more time others have to catch up. There's no indication that they're going to pull that particular rabbit out of their hat Tuesday, but it's still a possibility.

Also, the closer they get to the iPhone 3.0's launch, the less oxygen they're going to have. If they launched in early April, they would have all of April and May to dominate the news coverage alone. The closer it gets to June, the more it's compared to the new iPhone in every article, and the more Apple can try to drown it out with it's industrial strength hype machine.

Now I'm not saying the Pre would fail because of that. I also think it's a fallacy when people argue as if the only way for Palm to get customers is to steal away iPhone users. But any significant jump they can get on it is very very valuable. The later the launch is, the tougher the road becomes, even if it never gets bad enough to derail them completely.

Anyway, I don't think there's much they can do about it that they're not already doing. They would have released it yesterday if they thought they could get away with it. But one thing they CAN do is release the SDK now, even if it's in beta form. It's obviously capable of making third party apps now since Amazon's has been demonstrated. If it's not as clean or well-documented as it should be or it's still subject to change, well, that's the risk you take with beta software. Sure, Apple didn't have one right away, but it's a different environment now. Let the people who are eager to develop for the Pre get to work.
    Last edited by GregV; 03/12/2009 at 09:55 PM.
    ^^Long post so I won't quote, but this is what I have to say...

That was a really well thoughtout post. I could agree more if I tried GregV.
    It'll be compared to the iphone anyways..even if release tomorrow..lol

Palm has nothing to fear from apple.

Palm's main concern should be getting it ready and out the door by June 30. If they do that without major screwups, they're back in the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    WOW! Saying this makes you sound very condescending.
    Personally I didn't believe in the release in Feb or Mar, but no one knows the date and if they know, they are not allowed to say anything about it..
    I am not being condescending in the least. My point was that was what is causing the silly "why is Palm delaying" meme that now has taken over from the faked date threads.

The people making the delaying comments are the people who were believing the FEB 15 which was not a rumor but an obvious common sense impossible date and most of us said so. now the people who believed it are saying palm is delaying.

That doesn't make me a guru, it makes me in the majority of people with common sense -- who now are noting the same people saying March 15 or DEf 15 are are saying "Palm is delaying" -- which is a condescending, self righteous and baseless assertion against Palm.

I outlined the reasons why people were saying feb 15 when this was impossible -- are you saying I missed a rational one ?tell me one I missed I will add it to my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    However, I do think it's to their detriment the longer this drags out. For example, I think Apple could try to kneecap them by announcing Pre-like multitasking in OS 3.0 on Tuesday, even if it would only work on the beefier iPhone 3.0 hardware.
    I agree with that and have been saying this since Apple announced that it will announce news in early summer.

But all the iphone talk has skewed the facts. Palm is TINY. The externalities like apple are huge but that doesn't change limits on internalities like"
    a) how much (little) money Palm has,
    b) how much a big project this is,
    c) the fact that it can't control the 50 subcontractors for parts, some of which, like the screen maker, maybe sole available supplier,
    d) the pace of theird party apps like facebook which
    e) and the fact that if the OS doesn't live up to its promise it is a recipe for crib death.

Again, take the hypothetical that Palm's schedule five or six months ago may have been to have it ready at the 3/4 q 2009 but the cash needs, exacerbated by credit terms and credit market conditons in nov/dec, meant they had to go back to elevation who may have conditoned more lucre on an earlier bring to market.

In that case the choices are limited. they are not delaying they are probably burning the candle at both ends down there to go from june to any time earlier.
    Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    Palm probably would of preferred to of waited until March to announce the Pre, but CES was the trade show where they *had* to make the announcement. Hence, a scenario was created for them where they now have to maintain the excitement until it's ready for release.

So is Sprint and Palm going to be able to pull this off? Of course.... Actually there's nothing to "pull off" It's really just another product in a series of other Palm products, in a sea of products from a variety of manufacturers that will be released at some point in time. Those of us who are anxiously awaiting the Pre and eat up every tidbit of information are actually a minority. Right now, the masses have probably heard very little of the Pre, if anything at all, so with that in mind I have a most resounding yes that there will be a successful launch of the Pre.

Yes timing is involved and it can be a critical issue, but life is all about timing. But what's even more important than timing is

1) a product that works when it's released
    2) availability
    3) a strong marketing/advertising campaign

Also, don't forget that the Pre is the 1st in a Family of products. I'm confident that there will be a new device just in time for Christmas which will probably have 32G (or more) of memory, a Micro SD slot, maybe even a 5 megapixel camera with video capabilities, and maybe even a faster processor.

As Gandalf said in the LOTR, "A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to" So it will be with the Pre. It'll be here soon enough, and then I'll be able to dump my 755P brick!
    I am not being condescending in the least. My point was that was what is causing the silly "why is Palm delaying" meme that now has taken over from the faked date threads.

The people making the delaying comments are the people who were believing the FEB 15 which was not a rumor but an obvious common sense impossible date and most of us said so. now the people who believed it are saying palm is delaying.

That doesn't make me a guru, it makes me in the majority of people with common sense -- who now are noting the same people saying March 15 or DEf 15 are are saying "Palm is delaying" -- which is a condescending, self righteous and baseless assertion against Palm.

I outlined the reasons why people were saying feb 15 when this was impossible -- are you saying I missed a rational one ?tell me one I missed I will add it to my post.
    I don't think you missed a rational post however none of us know what is going on so we can't just dismiss what everyone says.

After reading your post and calming down maybe I could have said it better so I am sorry if I came across rude. I just don't think we should bypass what someone thinks just because it sounds outrageous.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gekko
    get off your high horse! this is an effing forum - the purpose of which is rumor, prediction, and speculation! stop attributing malice and stupidity to everyone's posts.
    I didn't attribute stupidity to everyone posts...only the tiny minority of people who posted or believed Feb 15 or March 15.

By the way the was no righteous indignation in my posts, there was in yours.

I am not indignant for the simple reason that like most people I didn't fall for those faked dates.

Quote:
    "Gekko @ 2/24/2009 12:28:18 PM # Q
    Per my call to Sprint today -
    Palm Pre
    March 15 Release Date
    $579 MSRP
    $299 with 2 Year New Contract
    Original Release Date was Feb 15"
    sure.

HAHA - C L A S S I C!!!!!!!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    i called Sprint, spoke to the Rep, and that's the date (3-15-08) he told me. i clarified with him three times that it was a PRE and not a PRO. i shared this info with the forum as-is in an existing thread and let people here draw their own conclusions. now go pull your thumb out of your...
    Anyone else beginning to worry if Palm/Sprint will be able to pull this off?
    It's looking like it's going to be a close shave!
    get off your high horse! this is an effing forum - the purpose of which is rumor, prediction, and speculation! stop attributing malice and stupidity to everyone's posts. it's offensive and insulting.

your arrogance and righteous indignation has grown tiresome. go to church.
    Oh come one - it wasn;t that bad. But enveryone could use a little church in there life. Aero: make sure u go tbhis sunday (assuming ur christian)

i called Sprint, spoke to the Rep, and that's the date (3-15-08) he told me. i clarified with him three times that it was a PRE and not a PRO. i shared this info with the forum as-is in an existing thread and let people here draw their own conclusions......
    Now Gekko, come on , admit it ... ur a sucker !!! you fell for it .. come on .. i want to see u type it out ... "I'm a sucker" Do it !!!

hehe :-D
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I think the least the could do is tell us A) What the device will cost. and B) When it will be available. I mean at least the price, they must know. If they don't, why not? Apple had an exact date and price from the start for the iPhone.

Maybe they should have waited to announce the phone when they were closer to ready. Also releasing the SDK would both help generate buzz and make sure their are choices in third party apps on day one. As others have pointed out, they must have an SDK, why not use it?
    [QUOTE=Captweez;1568774] Apple had an exact date and price from the start for the iPhone.

QUOTE]

That did not exactly work too well for them.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I believe the Pre simply still isn't ready for primetime. There's just too much vagueness from both companies.

I haven't looked at the web conference, but I understand from CNET that there seems to have been really nothing new revealed.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast