Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Check this out... A bit of between the lines info from webinar.

jkOnTheRun » Blog Archive Palm Pre Webcast Tidbit: Browser Nearly 4x Faster than iPhone «
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Good! I was so underwhelmed by the broswer on my Instinct...this no doubt will be be a huge leap of improvement.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Good to have some strengths and i think the browser will be one on the Pre. It's a pretty important one if all the surveys are right. It's mostly why i'm on the iphone right now.
  4.    #4  
    A better browser is the main "want" this Goat has for a new phone.

So Pre FTW!
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    HAHA @ iPhone and Apple propoganda that Safari is the fastest browser ever.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Totally cached (do you really think they wouldn't test loading the page prior to the webinar?). Still excited.
    Chuck Norris does not need caching on his Pre.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Assuming we're talking about "better" as well as "faster," I would say "better" is partially defined by whether or not we can click links to podcasts (like in the first post) and have them play on the Pre.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    palm twittered this about the issue: "Thanks for noticing. That was a live demo. Obviously actual mileage may vary, but there was nothing rigged re: browsing speed."
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    palm twittered this about the issue: "Thanks for noticing. That was a live demo. Obviously actual mileage may vary, but there was nothing rigged re: browsing speed."
    Thanks for the update! It still doesn't state if the site was cached. Even if the demo wasn't rigged, that doesn't mean that they hadn't gone to the page before and that the phone doesn't have caching.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    Did they mention if it was over Wi-fi or the Sprint network?
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Did they mention if it was over Wi-fi or the Sprint network?
    It was Wifi.
    Of course they went to the site before. You don't do a presentation like that with a site you don't know for sure isn't down for maintenance.

So the real question is how the caching works. My guess is it was cached, as they likely just had visited it minutes before the webinar.
    Well like the piece says, even if it was cached it is still something the iPhone doesn't have (caching).
    So i Twittered Palm. Wanted to know if the website was cached, and even that they were crazy secretive about. I'm kinda surprised that even seemingly unimportant info they don't talk about. I'm starting to wonder why Palm even bothers with a twitter or facebook account. The point is to be open with customers and developers and they're doing none of that right now.

The response I got was: palm_inc@schnoid Can't say for sure. As you can see, browsing is snappy. And you'll be able to precisely measure Pre's snappiosity in FHo2009
    Well they likely honestly did not know, as the people on twitter likely had nothing to do with that webinar.

A better question to ask would be "So the Pre does some caching then?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Well they likely honestly did not know, as the people on twitter likely had nothing to do with that webinar.

A better question to ask would be "So the Pre does some caching then?"
    yea, I thought that at first too, but the fact that they specifically had to point out First half of 2009 like they always do makes me think they know but specifically don't want to say.

This was the original message I sent them btw....

schnoid@palm_inc does that mean that no part of the website you visited during the demo was cached?
    Looks promising, but I don't think it is reasonable to draw the conclusion that it's X times faster based on one cached website during a demo.

On a side note: The way they mention "First half..." in every other Twitter, they are going to look like complete jack asses if they don't deliver. It's starting to come off as a bit cocky and flip to my eyes.
    What do you folks think he meant by saying the demo wasn't "rigged," if not "it wasn't cached?"
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I would take it to mean they didn't deliberately set up some kind of cheater programming/OS hack to make the web page display faster for the point of the demo. I wouldn't say that "not being rigged" = "not cached" at all.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast