Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    my 800w is showing 576kbps on cell and on wifi 842kbps
    Most Windows Mobile can get well over 1Mbps as well.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Crap, my lowly Treo 755p topped at 100kbps...
    ^It's a limitation of the Blazer browser. If you connect with USB tethering, PalmOS Treos can sometimes do up to 1Mbps. Bluetooth tethering can do about 400Kbps.

Blazer browser is awful both in rendering and in performance, but the phones network performance is greater than Blazer performance.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Do we know that we aren't looking primarily at the browser running in the emulator? These speed tests might be meaningless.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    I guess there's little reason to hit the speed test site from the emulator, but you never know.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    That's more of a comparison of AT&T and Sprint. AT&T's 3G network is fragile, inconsistent, and spotty by comparison. Even those 140s and 150s are likely 3G tests.

I'm getting 1200-1400 Kbps using an iPod on Verizon's network (with a mifi 2200) using DSLReports.
    That's not good for Sprint. On my iPhone I routinely get 1400 to 1600 kbps and rarely below 1200.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    That's not good for Sprint. On my iPhone I routinely get 1400 to 1600 kbps and rarely below 1200.
    LOl whats not good for sprint maybe you didnt read the info right... and a iphone on what wifi network?? lol
    The tests in first post were run from the Pre Webkit browser, not through the emulator.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    The tests in first post were run from the Pre Webkit browser, not through the emulator.
    Okay, what's the diff between the Webkit browser and the emulator? I was referring to the desktop SDK. You can run Pre's browser on either the Pre or the SDK emulator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Crap, my lowly Treo 755p topped at 100kbps...
    Look on the bright side, you're still better than my Centro... @ 40kbps max on Robbers EDGE...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Okay, what's the diff between the Webkit browser and the emulator? I was referring to the desktop SDK. You can run Pre's browser on either the Pre or the SDK emulator.
    Difference is network speed your home speed is faster than wireless companys networks
    BTW, anyone notice there are also some webOS entries for VirginMedia.com? That points to Virgin Mobile in UK.

Code:
    1950 0.079s (1024k)  virginmedia.com Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.0; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.27.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/525.27.1 Pre/1.0 FirePHP/0.2.4
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    The user d94 in another thread who has a test unit is the one who ran those tests. It was done with an actual unit, not the SDK emulator. Even if done with the emulator, it wouldn't likely show up with the sprint domain.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    The user d94 in another thread who has a test unit is the one who ran those tests. It was done with an actual unit, not the SDK emulator. Even if done with the emulator, it wouldn't likely show up with the sprint domain.
    Is this what the spcsdns.net domain refers to? Sprint? Does it identify the originating network, or the DNS being hit?
    Appears to be originating network. If I change my DNS to OpenDNS, it still shows spcsdns.net as the originating network in log.

I can confirm though that user d94 is the one who ran those original tests in the first post with an actual device, not the emulator.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I'm sure other people have also stated this, but I would like to see the PRE & an AT&T iPhone in the same location, at the same time, running a test over 3G. Wondering if we'd see any difference.

Reason being... some people will live in communities/cities with fantastic AT&T connectivity & speed, while others wont. Same with Sprint. NYC users can't even use data services on either network at times.

Remember, AT&T has a TON more users than Sprint, so I have to wonder what might happen to Sprints EVDO if they were to suddenly have as many users as AT&T has (mainly caused by the iPhone) now running on their net (and doing things like slingbox).

Believe me, I love the PRE, but i also like the new iPhone specs (if true). Just like i love my Archos 605wifi and my Sony Walkman Mp3, i dont feel you have to choose 1, its not a girl, or your wife, its metal, plastic, silicon, and wire, you can like more than 1 and its ok!!! I own neither new phone. I have a TREO 700p on Sprint. I'm not a fanboy either way. But if we are going to compare speeds and say the PRE is fast, and to give people an idea of how fast, and say that its twice or 3x as fast as an iPhone (or not), then I think we need to be doing this comparison apples to apples.

Would be nice to get iPhone speeds & PRE speeds from the same location and more importantly, at the same time - to rule out some of the possible internet path delays.
    - Jabra JX10
    - IBM Thinkpad
    - Hot chick Avatar

...ahhh, life is good.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234