Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Well, as Dieter mentioned, (and I guessed in a comment back when things were first announced), we weren't the target audience here. I would be willing to bet that a lot of the attendees of this were more mainstream media than tech sites and blogs. These are people who probably weren't following CES and MWC as closely as we were.

I also think that Palm wasn't prepared for Apple to make any announcements today, and so they definitely thought that they'd be the top tech news for the day (a big miscalculation there, but it happens).

And as for sounding like I wasn't believing the OP, I wasn't disagreeing with him, but IF Palm had been planning on releasing new news today anyway, they surely wouldn't have told someone who was complaining to them about not being allowed in on the coverage.
    My problem is that even the mainstream media already knew everything they discussed!!! They're not gonna have anything new to report. What's the point?
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    My problem is that even the mainstream media already knew everything they discussed!!! They're not gonna have anything new to report. What's the point?
    Exactly! http://www.foxbusiness.com/video-sea...htm#q=Palm+Pre
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I disagree. Like I said... maybe a few of them did, but they're not following CES closely, so there's many people this information will be new to. And if you don't believe me, look at the questions that were asked. People asked about things we've known for months as if it was a big mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

Come on. Apple is going to eat their lunch on the 17th if this weak presentation is all Palm can muster up.
    And it's not so coincidental that Apple announced a preview event of OS 3.0 for March 17th today, the day of Palms event.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Most juicy tidbit of info I got was Dieter's May 10th prediction.

Also that the phone will have a MIRROR! OMG!!!! Can't wait!!! (I kid)
    Goat portraits?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Nobody wants substantial new Pre news more than I do, but I never expected it from a 20-minute Webinar, and I wouldn't compare it to a live in-person Apple event either.

That said, yes, I have been very disappointed in the question and answer portion thus far.
    There's a difference between substantial news and some news. I wasn't expecting a date or time frame or price. But figured at least between it all some kind of new information peaking out. Maybe some specifics about any sprint programs designed about the phone. Or maybe information about the oft asked "does it have an LED notification light" besides "The middle button lights up when its pushed". Perhaps a new side program project like twitter or an agreement for a doc's-to-go or hotsync type thing.

Basically, some tiny little bit of NEW information. Though this goes back to my marketing frustration from Palm from the beginning. I think they should've kept about 8 to 10 things, be it features or partner programs, etc in their hand and played one every 2 weeks or so. This would keep a steady flow of "newness" leaking out, peaking interesting again and again and again.

But I agree it was a bit foolish for people to honestly think they'd get pricing or release date in this, though I think that Palm and Sprint should've dashed even the slimmest of hopes at the end (after they've kept everyones attention) rather than right from the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Fox Business though is a 24/7 cable news channel, and one which isn't even covered by my Comcast digital cable subscription. When you're getting on Fox,ABC,NBC, CBS' broadcast channels for national and local news about it, that's more of what I'm talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    A colossal waste of time. Seriously.

I need to buy three new phones soon...and was going with three G1s until I heard about the Pre at CES...but I can't wait any longer...at least without a fairly firm release date. G1s here we come.
    It sounds like you need NEWS soon, not phones. If you need the phones, you should be buying new phones anyway, and nothing Palm can do or so will make a difference. It's clearly not ready for release yet, and so a release date would be anything but "fairly firm."
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    One of the Pre-vious Pre-senters mentioned that what has been shown is only 20% of what the Pre can do.

I expect that the media will avoid future events in this series since this one was a huge waist of time. (They mentioned that this was the first in a series of presentations).

If they don't have anything more than we have already seen, then they are generation negative buzz with this events.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Earlier I had posted, "I have a good feeling about the webinar, they wouldn't dare insult the intellegence of the super-informed community by rehashing the same info that we already know."

I was so wrong...

Eguy » Lots and LOTS of Goat portraits.
    I can't see those types of outlets attending this. They wouldn't be submitting questions like that.

No, this was palm's lame way of keeping the buzz going. CNET, Precentral were two that i know were invited. This isn't even worth mentioning in a blog afterwards..
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's a difference between substantial news and some news. I wasn't expecting a date or time frame or price. But figured at least between it all some kind of new information peaking out. Maybe some specifics about any sprint programs designed about the phone. Or maybe information about the oft asked "does it have an LED notification light" besides "The middle button lights up when its pushed". Perhaps a new side program project like twitter or an agreement for a doc's-to-go or hotsync type thing.

Basically, some tiny little bit of NEW information. Though this goes back to my marketing frustration from Palm from the beginning. I think they should've kept about 8 to 10 things, be it features or partner programs, etc in their hand and played one every 2 weeks or so. This would keep a steady flow of "newness" leaking out, peaking interesting again and again and again.

But I agree it was a bit foolish for people to honestly think they'd get pricing or release date in this, though I think that Palm and Sprint should've dashed even the slimmest of hopes at the end (after they've kept everyones attention) rather than right from the start.
    I...agree. I wanted to see a new tidbit or two on a feature here or there, and there was none. That sucked hard. I came into the Webinar with pretty low expectations, but even they weren't met.

Still, I have every intention of buying this, and no intentions of buying another device. I want what I want.
    Way to much Pre-Poganda today. Same thing every time, no expansion because of size (BB's have it and they are thinner than the Pre) no release date, battery life. You need everything plan with unlimited data blah blah blah...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It's clear, in retrospect, that this Webinar had much less to do with the Pre than it did with Sprint - specifically their plans and ReadyNow initiative. If this was framed as such beforehand, people here wouldn't have bothered as much, and nobody would be disappointed.

But sitting there watching them "field questions" like "Can you go into even MORE detail about the plans or ReadyNow" was painful. I think most of the lameness here was from the Sprint end. Sure, they should talk up their services, but nobody is going to use them if you don't get them in the door first with awesome devices, and THAT is where their focus should be.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123