1.    #1  
    That's were the competition is/headed. I Don't understand why, when your staking the very life of your company on this phone, you bring out a new products whose specs are a year behind the competition from day one. (see touch pro/diamond 2). The 8 gb memory is the same situation as has been discussed already. I just wish the hardware had been as leading edge as the OS.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    In terms of OS though, they're years ahead.. I'm not worried about the screen res in the least..
    The vast majority of customers dont have the slightest idea what the resolution of their phones screen is. Palm wants the mass market, not the 1% of people who know the difference between WVGA and HVGA.
    I'm a little unsure as to how the Pre is "a year behind" its competition hardware-wise. What other phones have:

- A capacitive touchscreen AND hardware keyboard
    - 8GB of onboard memory
    - A 3 megapixel camera w/ LED flash and extended depth of field
    - A 3-inch plus screen w/ gesture area

Now, you may find handsets that have one or two of these features beat (e.g. The Diamond2 and TouchPro2 both have bigger, higher resolution screens and more megapixels on the camera - well, in the unlocked version anyway), but their comparative minuses (the screens are resistive, less responsive, and use a MUCH less touch friendly OS, plus there's no gesture area and no onboard memory) more than make the difference.
    Last edited by mikah912; 03/12/2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The vast majority of customers dont have the slightest idea what the resolution of their phones screen is. Palm wants the mass market, not the 1% of people who know the difference between WVGA and HVGA.
    thats way too high. 1% I would say its less than .01% most people don't even know the resolution of their TV, let alone their phones.

I do find it funny that because the op think the resolution is lacking, then thats how most people feel when most people don't know anything about the physical aspects of a phone.

but if someone comes out with wvga, what about an even higher res? its never ending. there is no such thing as a perfect phone, because if there was, then there can't be any new revisions, nothing to improve.
    I use to agree with the OP. But then when you consider it, 320x480 is not bad at all. Yes 800x400 would be nice, but it's definitely not necessary at this point. Maybe in a year or so when Tegra comes out and you can have TV out with 720p or 1080p. But right now, to keep costs down if nothing else, I am fine with the current plan.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm a little unsure as to how the Pre is "a year behind" its competition hardware-wise. What other phones have:

- A capacitive touchscreen AND hardware keyboard
    - 8MB of onboard memory
    - A 3 megapixel camera w/ LED flash and extended depth of field
    - A 3-inch plus screen w/ gesture area

Now, you may find handsets that have one or two of these features beat (e.g. The Diamond2 and TouchPro2 both have bigger, higher resolution screens and more megapixels on the camera - well, in the unlocked version anyway), but their comparative minuses (the screens are resistive, less responsive, and use a MUCH less touch friendly OS, plus there's no gesture area and no onboard memory) more than make the difference.

GB's...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Yup, thanks.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    So, will I be disappointed in comparison to my VGA Axim's screen?
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I think we'll be fine. I have an iPhone right now and the screen looks great. Now, if the Pre had a resolution worse than 480x320, we'd have something to complain about.
    We should remember that those higher resolutions are on larger screens. Pixel density is very important. Also driving twice as many or more pixels takes up more processor and battery power.

I would love a higher density screen but Palm obviously thinks for price, quality, size and intended purpose that the screen they are using is the current sweet spot. Although it does remind me of the 160x160 vs. 320x320 arguements when the Treo 600 was announced. I waited for the 650 for just that reason.
    However, I think the 320x480 will be plenty in this case. The pixel density will be better than on my Curve but not as good as on the Bold.
    Last edited by Homie; 03/12/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    That's were the competition is/headed. I Don't understand why, when your staking the very life of your company on this phone, you bring out a new products whose specs are a year behind the competition from day one. (see touch pro/diamond 2). The 8 gb memory is the same situation as has been discussed already. I just wish the hardware had been as leading edge as the OS.
    You are right, they are well behind on trends with memory (all the smartphones in this class have higher scalable capacity for a good reason) and the screen resolution is mediocer, but the OS is strong and we will see newer models with competitive resolution and memory after they get some breathing space that the first million sold or so. Perhaps 1q 2010.

For a target of $200 there are limits.
    Word!!!!
    Unlike the WinMo phones, the Pre has 24 bit color though! More colors can make up some ground compared to higher resolution.

Also, isn't it harder to make a higher resolution screen on a capacitive screen? What's the res on the Android phones?
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghornTreo View Post
    I don't think there is any device on the market with a capacitive above HVGA and the only thing i can think of is the G1 and Iphone devices with higher res are WM and can't do multi touch but i argee it would have be nice then again its hard trying to tell iphone users my screen is a higher res/ better picture but my screens smaller
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    op obviously doesn't understand what makes for a quality picture.
    1st: contrast, black levels
    2nd: color accuracy
    distant 3rd: resolution

that's how it goes in the video world for displays and projectors. I would imagine that has to carryover a bit to these little screens as well.

So I'll take the higher bit color processing over somewhat better resolution in a more power draining screen. And as others have mentioned, what can you expect for $200 (supposedly)?

Someone also mentioned no on board memory in the HTC phones. that would be fine by me. An 8gb card is less than $15. A 16gb one will be under $50 soon. But that's a different discussion and one that's been beaten beyond belief.
    My main concern is stability. Followed by basically what we'll be able to use. Version 1.0 won't have 3d games, but i'm more interested in other types of apps anyways and don't really have a clue what they'll have in store.

Ideally, i'd wait and keep the iphone i got til version 2 of the Pre came out, but i really want off of AT&T. The iphone is compelling with some recent apps and rumored apps to come. I may just get an ipod touch for the heck of it.
    When you think about physical size and power consumption 320x480 sounds like a good practical size.
    Power consumption is also a factor sure. but I am betting this is baby has a very short battery life.
    those us who have been on wm with cloud usage and multiple radios and moderate size screens won;t be taken aback but I bet as is those coming form palm OS are going to be in for a real shock.