1.    #1  
    I'm getting tempted to buy a Pre. Mostly, I'm interested in having a better web browser. My current Sprint 755p is simply lame for web browsing, as much as I like my 755p. I'm getting jealous/envious of the superior web browsers found on other phones such as the iPhone and Android.

Anyone know the answer to these questions:

1) Can I do a hotsynch directly to my computer? Or will this not be an option? I do not want to synch to some online account somewhere in cyber space. Call me paranoid!

2) Can I get instant "push" email using my AOL account? I'm currently getting push email using Chatter.

3) Is it possible to use the Pre as a modem? I'm currently using PdaNet on my Treo 755p connected to a laptop for internet access.

If I do end up getting a new Pre, I'm thinking of keeping my Treo 755p activated, and adding the Pre as a second line. This way, I can keep using my 755p as usual, and I can slowly break in the Pre over time. If all works out, I will eventually cancel the line for my 755p, and transfer my cell number from my 755p to the new Pre.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    I don't think there's enough information out there to answer your questions. However, I am sure that once the phone *actually* comes out, people are going to hack the bejesus out of it and enable all sorts of features, hotsync (if it's not present), internet sharing, etc.
    1) At this time, it seems like hotsync directly to a computer is out of the option. Hopefully they can release an update for the Palm Desktop software to enable hotsync on the Pre.

2) I'm unsure if AOL push is supported. But I think it might be safe to say yes. Palm seemed to have presented the calendar & email functions quite a lot. So being able to be notified instantly is possibly high on the email priority list. I don't think it has been clarified by Palm if the phone supports IMAP Idle. It is has, please provide a link. =)

3) This is an iffy answer. A while ago, the technical specs on the Sprint website indicated the Pre can be used as a modem via Bluetooth. That was then removed. I'm sure it IS available on the phone, just that Sprint might charge extra for it. If this is the case, we will eventually see a third party solution one day. Info: http://www.precentral.net/tethering-...rint-pre-specs
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I don't think there's enough information out there to answer your questions. However, I am sure that once the phone *actually* comes out, people are going to hack the bejesus out of it and enable all sorts of features, hotsync (if it's not present), internet sharing, etc.
    I would be severely disappointed if it's not possible to hotsynch to a computer. The way I currently do things now, I do a physical corded hotsynch to multiple laptop computers for multiple backups. This way, I can never lose all my information, since I do multiple backup to different sources at different locations (via different laptops at different sites). I also like the ability to simply beam entire databases (eg: Contacts, Calendar, Memos via FileZ app) from one device to another. I would miss all these features. Synching to "the clouds" or whatever internet source is out of the question for me. I don't want all my personal information "out there".
    Casey
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    1) At this time, it seems like hotsync directly to a computer is out of the option. Hopefully they can release an update for the Palm Desktop software to enable hotsync on the Pre.

2) I'm unsure if AOL push is supported. But I think it might be safe to say yes. Palm seemed to have presented the calendar & email functions quite a lot. So being able to be notified instantly is possibly high on the email priority list. I don't think it has been clarified by Palm if the phone supports IMAP Idle. It is has, please provide a link. =)

3) This is an iffy answer. A while ago, the technical specs on the Sprint website indicated the Pre can be used as a modem via Bluetooth. That was then removed. I'm sure it IS available on the phone, just that Sprint might charge extra for it. If this is the case, we will eventually see a third party solution one day. Info: http://www.precentral.net/tethering-...rint-pre-specs

Thanks for the interesting link regarding tethering. That would really s@ck if Sprint decides to remove modem support. That's one thing I like about my Sprint Treo 755p with PdaNet. Granted, I don't actually use PdaNet all the time, because I'm already subcribed to Sprint for a separate wireless USB modem card, but I do like the fact I can use my phone as a backup modem just in case. Plus, the separate Sprint USB modem card is costing me an additional $60 every month on top of my usual plan, and I may decide to one day cancel the modem card. By the way, I really like using a USB modem card attached to a laptop, this works great. I just don't like having to pay extra for this on top of my normal plan.
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I would be severely disappointed if it's not possible to hotsynch to a computer. The way I currently do things now, I do a physical corded hotsynch to multiple laptop computers for multiple backups. This way, I can never lose all my information, since I do multiple backup to different sources at different locations (via different laptops at different sites). I also like the ability to simply beam entire databases (eg: Contacts, Calendar, Memos via FileZ app) from one device to another. I would miss all these features. Synching to "the clouds" or whatever internet source is out of the question for me. I don't want all my personal information "out there".
    Then you are going to be severely disappointed and I do not think the Pre will work for you. Because that is how it works.
    I hope I don't have to go back to my Centro when I travel just to use Tethering...

I hope Mobile-Stream makes a webOS app.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I hope I don't have to go back to my Centro when I travel just to use Tethering...

I hope Mobile-Stream makes a webOS app.

I'm hoping the Pre will be able to backup onto a memory card, such as using BackupMan.
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    I'm hoping the Pre will be able to backup onto a memory card, such as using BackupMan.
    Hopefully we won't have to back it up
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.