1.    #1  
    This is pure speculation. (Well, some speculation is better than other speculation.)

Palm just raised $83 million. One of the stated reasons was to be able to meet high demand for the Pre.

I'm assuming Palm would want to raise the money fairly close to going into production. (Is that a fair assumption? Critique welcomed, I really don't know.)

We know that several Palm Pre's have been released "out into the wild". (Engadget guy and several celebrities.) Of particular interest, is letting the Engadget guy get his hands on one. I'm assuming Palm really wouldn't want to do that unless the Pre was in pretty good shape.

So here's another assumption----I'm assuming the Pre is getting pretty close to production.

Once WebOS is ready, how long does it take to manufacture the Pre and get it to Sprint stores?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    As far as the hardware goes, I read that the Engadget guy had one of the Pres from the CES stock. As you can see there were no Sprint markings on them. The webinar tomorrow should reveal a lot about how far along they are. That seems like an eternity away right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    We know that several Palm Pre's have been released "out into the wild". (Engadget guy and several celebrities.) Of particular interest, is letting the Engadget guy get his hands on one. I'm assuming Palm really wouldn't want to do that unless the Pre was in pretty good shape.
    They were sort of "in the wild". Those Pre's were the same ones that were demo'd at CES & WMC. The ones handed to the celebs were taken back. Celebs only got to play with them. Palm reps were close by to babysit.

I am going to assume that Josh of Engadget had to give it back as well. And a Palm rep was probably back stage waiting to take it back from his hands.
    Unfortunately, from what I understand, the phone that JT was using on the Jimmy Fallon show was one of the same alpha phones from CES. At least that is what Josh claimed on Twitter. So, as solid as the alphas may be, they apparently aren't the final production model.

In fact, I've seen nothing stating that there even is a final hardware build yet. Even though I suspect that there is, and they are ramping up production as we speak. Maybe the warehouses will receive final builds on March 15th like the leaked EOL doc stated. In that case, all they have to do is stockpile while testers finish the final WebOS build. Then they will flash all the phones in the warhouse and BAM!!! Ready for distrubution.

Flashing the phones doesn't take much time at all. Now having the testers approve a final build, and having enough inventory to not dissapoint the masses is another deal all together. If we start hearing that warehouses are filling up with Pre's soon then we can all rejoice...

If not, then get ready for the long haul.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Engadget guy also stated on late Night that the one he was using was early hardware and software so im sure it was one the the ones used at ces and mwc. With the millions palm now has for production i'd say were are getting close, perhaps by early april we might see the release.
    I would think they had money for production before the whole stock thing that gave them all the extra money. What if that didn't work? They are probably going to use the new money for the launch (advertising) and not production. I would think the majority of the first-launch Pre's are done and ready to be shipped.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor To Pre View Post
    This is pure speculation. (Well, some speculation is better than other speculation.)

Palm just raised $83 million. One of the stated reasons was to be able to meet high demand for the Pre.

I'm assuming Palm would want to raise the money fairly close to going into production. (Is that a fair assumption? Critique welcomed, I really don't know.)

So here's another assumption----I'm assuming the Pre is getting pretty close to production.

Once WebOS is ready, how long does it take to manufacture the Pre and get it to Sprint stores?
    Yes, Pre must be ready. Its matter of the fixing the final testing bugs to make it a fool proof product.
    There is a considerable learning curve for most of the customers (not for folks like our forum members).

Any software crashes or hardware failures can start a negative publicity.
  8.    #8  
    So the impression I'm getting is that flashing the phone, packaging and shipping the phone is a relatively "minor" (in terms of time to market) part of the process. Basically, WebOS would be Palm's major concern. What are other parts of the process that would have a higher probability of holding things up? Just curious about the phone industry.
    Well with all the movement towards getting the news out there "outside" of the internet such as working on commercials, putting it on public TV etc... I think they are trying to time the marketing campaign correctly to make it an eventful launch.
    I did notice the one Josh had was a lot more responsive than the CES build of webOS, it must be a later build.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.