1.    #1  
    OK- hypothetically speaking.

I for one WILL be getting a PRE.

But I BET you, given the release of the PRE (as with any other phone), the Pre forum will have some early adopters coming back "complaining" this "isnt the phone for me" "I expected more" etc etc and revert BACK to the treo 755P Garnet OS.

Friendly bet anyone?

Reason for bringing this up is, chatteremail and the Palm OS Garnet is STILL in my opinion, better than any other mobile OS out the at the moment...and it does everything I need it to.

As will all things in life, you will either love it, or hate it.
    My guess is that anyone with a 755p will either jump to a Treo Pro or a Palm Pre. I'm betting that anyone who enjoys the features of the iphone but really wants to keep their Treo keyboard will gladly switch to the Pre. Business people will probably adopt the Treo Pro, and some people will wait to see if the third party apps they've come to depend on will be available on the Pre/Pro.
    No way I'd take a losing bet. There will always be people who are all hyped on the next big thing and when people get their hands on it, they see its not all they wanted it to be. If it can happen for the iPhone, it will happen for the Pre. Only thing I know for sure is I'm getting it and I'm not looking back since all the main functions I use on the 755P, it seems to do better on the Pre. Contacts, calendar, text and web browsing.
    I am personally already predisposed to like it, so I won't be going back. However, since we've had to wait for the Pre, I've been trying to be content with my 755p for now. And that's not so hard, really. The keyboard is great! I just went to BestBuy yesterday to look at the Treo Pro, and I found its keyboard disappointing. The dummies may have a different feel to them than the actual thing, but I really felt like it was hard to get the right key, and hard to tell when it was pushed. The 755p feel is just right for me. Not crazy about the tacky surface on the Treo Pro and Centro either, but I suppose I would get used to that. I am hoping that the smile shape on the Pre keyboard is enough to space the keys out a bit more than the Treo Pro's.

Anyway, there's enough greatness in the rest of the phone--the keyboard won't make me switch back, but I may find myself remembering my 755p with fondness.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    OK- hypothetically speaking.

I for one WILL be getting a PRE.

But I BET you, given the release of the PRE (as with any other phone), the Pre forum will have some early adopters coming back "complaining" this "isnt the phone for me" "I expected more" etc etc and revert BACK to the treo 755P Garnet OS.

Friendly bet anyone?

Reason for bringing this up is, chatteremail and the Palm OS Garnet is STILL in my opinion, better than any other mobile OS out the at the moment...and it does everything I need it to.

As will all things in life, you will either love it, or hate it.

Isn't Mark writing a "ChatterMail" for the Pre? I thought I read some where Mark was going to something for the "webos"?
    I can't see chattermail being preferrable to the Pre's email app. Full html, multitasking, etc. Jury is still out on how it will integrate with everything else such as docs to go assuming that is there.

Hopefully the webcasts go into more detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I am personally already predisposed to like it, so I won't be going back. However, since we've had to wait for the Pre, I've been trying to be content with my 755p for now. And that's not so hard, really. The keyboard is great! I just went to BestBuy yesterday to look at the Treo Pro, and I found its keyboard disappointing. The dummies may have a different feel to them than the actual thing, but I really felt like it was hard to get the right key, and hard to tell when it was pushed. The 755p feel is just right for me. Not crazy about the tacky surface on the Treo Pro and Centro either, but I suppose I would get used to that. I am hoping that the smile shape on the Pre keyboard is enough to space the keys out a bit more than the Treo Pro's.

Anyway, there's enough greatness in the rest of the phone--the keyboard won't make me switch back, but I may find myself remembering my 755p with fondness.
    They should have made the Pro and the Pre the same width and height as the 755 but only thin. Initial reports were that the Pre's keyboard was ok but nearly not as good as the 755p, I have had the BB8830, the Motorola Q, and the Samsung ACe I-325 and the keyboards do not match the 755's KB. I hope (guess) the pre's 2nd generation will have improvement on the KB.

The day I found my Motorola Startac (and I still have to admire the phone today, almost a perfect phone. I also still have the Samsung Palm OS phone without the keyboard. Lol phones were ahead of their time if nostalgia can enter the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    Isn't Mark writing a "ChatterMail" for the Pre? I thought I read some where Mark was going to something for the "webos"?
    Working on an Android version, said he would not do a WebOS version.

Request for AndroidMail beta testers

Marc on Palm and rumors

Marc stating he has no plans on making software for the Pre
    Last edited by NachoB; 03/11/2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added more links to Marc's comments
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    of course this will happen. it;s ok. everyone has different needs and different opinions.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Working on an Android version, said he would not do a WebOS version.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...rs-now-g1.html
    Maybe he was disgruntled, first Palm brought Marc on board, then he left?!?

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2257-1.htm
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    I wish in some future version of WebOS there would be a 755p form factor with maybe a more rectangle screen (longer screen) by going into the ear speaker area if possible and leave the Dpad in there. You could use the Dpad rather than those dirty greasy fingers.

I can't understand way everyone loves to finger their screens - it looks so filthy from the greasy fingers and all. When somebody shows me their iPhone or iPhone type phone, I simply even hate to touch that dirty nasty thing.

Oh well thats me - my 755p is setup to do everything I want and works good enough for me to hopefully wait until maybe the 2nd gen Pre if I am forced to go all touch screen because there is no other form factor anymore.

Bummer no Dpad - what good is a beautiful screen when it is so filthy?
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    I won't be going back, but I'm afraid I might have to carry my old one in my bag for a while if all the apps I need aren't on the Pre right away. I'm looking at you, SplashData!

One thing I'm going to have to get used to and probably won't like right away is how much less you can fit on the screen. Everything has to be bigger to be selectable with your fingers. Sure, things like e-mail and web pages will be fine because you're mostly just reading, but if you have an app that presents a list of clickable things you can't really cram them in there.
    It's not even out yet and I already reverted back, after my initial excitement phase. Don't get me wrong -- I want the phone, but unfortunately realize that it just not for me. (Now, I hope this changes as more specs become known, but for now, my business and personal well-being means staying with Garnet.)
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I hope the Pre works for me. I'm still excited to get my hands on one and expect to buy one. My 755p is aging faster than I'd like. The NAV button doesn't always respond so I got the case opening tool and opened it up to clean it out, but the key work just the same after I reassembled. What's worse is that I busted the screw mount by the silo so my case won't close all the way. I've also got several flecks of lint under the screen! That should be sealed... I'm debating buying a used 755p for parts, but don't want to in case the Pre rocks.

I do have some software concerns though and hope some of my favorites will come to the Pre-side. My 2 most important apps will not because their development ceased years ago (ThoughtManager and Note Studio).
    I depend on ThoughtManager too. SplashData acquired it and rebranded it SplashNotes. They also picked up Slap from the same author, calling it Snap, though I don't use that one. Look at the screen shots on their web site and you'll see that they look eerily familiar