Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    The guy says he has activated a couple of other Pre's this morning. He may very well be telling the truth. It's crazy, but I am actually thinking about bidding. The thing is, I don't really want a pre-production version that is not fully functional. I also want the full retail packaging. Finally, I am due for all the juicy Sprint discounts, so I really should be patient. Still...the thought that I could have a Pre NOW....

EDIT: As I wrote this the guy responded saying it DOES have the full retail packaging...that might suggest that a launch date is sooner than we may think...
    Are you that naive?
    Lol. Look at the response he gave to Pedro. He said the pics listed are HIS. Those are obviously from CES. Looks like screencaps from that 25min video.

Any images he would show of the packaging would probably be screencaps from that same exact video.

Don't bid on it. If you still do, well...Can't say we didn't warn ya!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I did the response, and I am not at all naive. I approach it with a HUGE dose of skepticism. If you pay with AMEX or PayPal, you would be protected, but seriously, I have been burned more than once on ebay, so I definitely know what I would be in for if I were to really bid...

But I do appreciate the concern
  3.    #23  
    If you have the working capitol then there is no real risk in bidding. If you get burned then you'll have to deal with all the PayPal arbitration stuff, which takes a while. If I had a grand to spare then I would go for it, I would have to draw that grand out of investments or out of my "ring fund" for my girlfriend. That wouldn't be a good idea.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I don't have $1000...but $500 might be doable. Still, I think patience is prudent here. I will be waiting for the real thing
    Buy palm stock instead :P
  6.    #26  
    We'll see. I get the distinct feeling that this is bull. I think it all stemmed from the Sprint Users forum. Some guy said that his friend that works at Radio Shack had some. Everyone called BS on him. Soon he posted that his friend put them on eBay and he was already getting his.

Me thinks that this is just forum-flexing getting out of hand. The guy got REALLY defensive when everyone attacked him on the SprintUsers forum so he made this eBay posting.

The bashing got so bad that the MODS actually closed the main Predictions and Speculation thread. The thread got super cleaned so you can't see all the action.
    Funny how he says he has them but won't even take an actual picture of the retail packaging. Instead - he puts pics from the web and demos.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    And the more I think about it...if there is truly retail packaging and the initial shipment has been made to stores (which I don't believe already), then the release should be VERY soon (within weeks), so it wouldn't be worth the risk. No real positives here... fun to muse on having one early though!
  9.    #29  
    Another thing...

If I had REAL Pre's with retail packaging right now, when the geek world wants a Pre SO bad, then I would take REAL pics of it and start the bid at 1000 dollars. Buy Now for 2500. And I would probably get a deal on it. I definately would not start the bid at "retail".

I've seen unreleased Blackberry's sell for 2000$'s +. So if this guy is not joshing... Then he sure isn't very savy.
  10.    #30  
    I also find it funny that The Goat starts a thread about some ground-breaking news... Then spends the next 2 hours doing everything he can to discredit his own post.

Aren't I Grand?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    I can say with absolute certainty that those are the exact same backdrops & lighting & tables used @ CES. Those images are lifted directly from someone's (Engadget? PIC? TC?) CES coverage.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  12.    #32  
    HAW! I send a tweet to palm_inc informing them about the eBay listing. Within 5 minutes the listing was gone!

CASE CLOSED
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    You guys do know that Palm just announced to sell its stock between now and March 31st to raise about $100 mm to pay $49 mm back to Elevation Partners and most likely the rest to start mass producing Pres for launch. Which means there is no way it would launch in Apr.

My guess is as right now, Palm has no money left to start producing the Pre. I don't have the link but check CNet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post
    The guy says he has activated a couple of other Pre's this morning. He may very well be telling the truth. It's crazy, but I am actually thinking about bidding. The thing is, I don't really want a pre-production version that is not fully functional. I also want the full retail packaging. Finally, I am due for all the juicy Sprint discounts, so I really should be patient. Still...the thought that I could have a Pre NOW....

EDIT: As I wrote this the guy responded saying it DOES have the full retail packaging...that might suggest that a launch date is sooner than we may think...
    if it is on ebay, then March 15 is the date I would assume!
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    listing is removed from ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    HAW! I send a tweet to palm_inc informing them about the eBay listing. Within 5 minutes the listing was gone!

CASE CLOSED
    nice job
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    You guys do know that Palm just announced to sell its stock between now and March 31st to raise about $100 mm to pay $49 mm back to Elevation Partners and most likely the rest to start mass producing Pres for launch. Which means there is no way it would launch in Apr.

My guess is as right now, Palm has no money left to start producing the Pre. I don't have the link but check CNet.
    Dude what you're presuming about the launch couldn't be more from the truth, but I see where you're coming form. The money was raised, wasn't quite the 100mil but close enough, check here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10192384-94.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Wireless

It baffles me that Palm can still raise so much money in these times.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    I also tweeted @palm_inc and they responded with "buyer beware"

I am glad the listing was pulled!
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    if it is on ebay, then March 15 is the date I would assume!
    Nice try but, WRONG. check: CNET: Palm boosts stock offering, nets $83.9 million
  20.    #40  
    B-model » Thanks friend!

I think one girl did actually buy one on the Sprint Forums before the eBay listing got closed. May have been a double profile though.

Maybe the girl will magically receive one, then she'll post all sorts of fun pics all over the place. If not, all of this went nowhere fast. Goat fixed the situation with the quickness. ¤flex¤

It's a shame. Would have been wonderful if the listing was real. It would have meant that we were drawing VERY near to an actual release. No dice though.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast