Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Being a nerd myself, I have been impressed with the hype so far. Palm keep the fortress closed until CES and then there has been a more or less fairly successful trickle of info to keep us (well, some of us) pretty happy. We had some Oscar celeb preening (sorry), the McNamee over-hype last week, last night we had the Pre on Fallon, on the 12th we will have the Sprint/Pre event. Sounds like a lot lately for the tech-heads to chew on. But my question is, is it reaching anyone else? Are their non-nerds out there asking themselves "When is that new Pre phone coming out, can't wait to get one!" Or is it just us?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    There were those celebrities but they probably said that to gain PRPRPR.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm not a nerd so yes it is reaching out there! ....what?..why looking at me like that. I'm NOT a nerd!...oh...grr fine fine yes I am but still I like to think it is. My dad isn't that techie and he has heard about the Pre. With CES awards and the Late Night Show I'd believe alot of the norms out there will be interested in the Pre.
    I thought about starting a new thread this morning, but my idea seemed a little off-topic, so I didn't. Anyway, it sorta fits with this thread, except it relates to an uber-nerd rather than a norm....

Has anyone taken a look at the 3/10/09 Dilbert strip? Check it out at The official Dilbert website

It reminds me of a few of us on this site.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    I saw that, this morning and i didn't think about it referring to the PRE until I just read it again... that was a good one
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I'm at a university of technology in the netherlands, and not even the geekiest of geeks seem to have heard of the pre except for me. But there's no mainstream exposure of the pre at all, and I can't think of any Dutch stores that sell palm products (yes, I searched), so that might be reason.
    I don't even think the tip of the iceburg of the mainstream crowd has heard of the Pre, even many Treo tauting people. I'm sure that'll change as the ad blitz starts whenever its released much like the BB Storm but will never be as mainstream as the iphone which is more than fine with me.
    Where I'm from, the only reason someone has heard of the Pre is because:

A. They work for Sprint.

B. They drink at my bar and have heard me lusting over it.

C. You have the pleasure of hanging with me outside of work.

I'm impressed when someone knows the difference between CDMA or GSM out here.
    I first heard about the Pre on the FOX News Channel, they were talking about Palm's splash at CES. Then I saw Roger bring the phone on the FOX Business Channel. I was very interested so I went to the Web and found you all here.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    My 25 year old iPhone toting son was totally uninterested when I first told him about the Pre. Then he saw it on the late show the other night and now he's psyched and ready to buy one.

So yea, word is getting out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    My 25 year old iPhone toting son was totally uninterested when I first told him about the Pre. Then he saw it on the late show the other night and now he's psyched and ready to buy one.

So yea, word is getting out now.
    I think it was a good move for Palm to have it on Late Night even with the not so great show or ratings.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Late night show i hope helped. I have alot of friends , famly and up to recently coworkers and I dont know anyone who has a clue what a pre is. Hopefully that changes as we get closer to release.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I think a lot of people still dont know about the pre, a freind of mine has an iphone and is into tech gadgets but when i asked him about the pre he was like "huh?, whats that?" so i think info still hasnt reached many people outside of us "nerds" but the late night appearance has sure helped a bit with that. Palm and sprint have a lot of work to do in the advertising department.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Where I work, I am the PALM Pre-acher :-).
    But I know many of the my iPhone buddies aren't convinced.
    Once the thing is out , and reviewed by the tech journalists , people will start believing it.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Late night show i hope helped. I have alot of friends , famly and up to recently coworkers and I dont know anyone who has a clue what a pre is. Hopefully that changes as we get closer to release.
    I don't know about that, they should attend more shows ,
    Leno, Letterman, Comedycentral.......

Also SPRINT is not hyping it.
    I guess they are not going to do that after the Instinct debacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Also SPRINT is not hyping it.
    I guess they are not going to do that after the Instinct debacle.
    They will follow the instinct model,in the sense they will be the major promotor.

Palm has an interest in promoting it now because their stock needs it.

Sprint has much less of an interest in promoting it until they have a firmer date (in fact there are negatives for them) and then will push a lot a week or two before release.

Palm has nowhere near the advertisng resource Sprint has.
    I do not expect anything near the Iphone mania. I still remmeber passing the AT&T store in Manhattan ( by FAO Schwartz) . the line went 3 blocks the day it came out. Was unreal. Everyone in my office and just about everyone I knew was buying or wanted one. I had friends who took the day off for a phone. The economy will also help in that aspect. If the Iphone came out in this economic turndown it probally wouldnt have sold as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    I do not expect anything near the Iphone mania. I still remmeber passing the AT&T store in Manhattan ( by FAO Schwartz) . the line went 3 blocks the day it came out. Was unreal. Everyone in my office and just about everyone I knew was buying or wanted one. I had friends who took the day off for a phone. The economy will also help in that aspect. If the Iphone came out in this economic turndown it probally wouldnt have sold as well.
    Weird, I happened to be in Manhattan the day it was released and there was absolutely no line to be seen. Maybe I was there a little later in the day, but I just remember rows and rows of empty line forming bars and then two rows of bored employees outside that were supposed to cheer on the few people that actually walked out with the iphone. It was really pathetic. I would guess that they had a big rush of people in the morning and then it died off and they were still left with piles of iphones. I think even the blackberry storm had a bigger showing on the first day.
    You must have been there the wrong day. They were giving out wrist bands ( there were only 200 phones) as there were hundreds of people on line when I was there and the media was there. people waiting online for blocks, some people waited 2 days on line. It sold out in 2 hours the iphone sold out everywhere the day it came out, people were on waiting list and paying thousands on ebay for that phone.

Was all over the news

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/29/tech...hone/index.htm

It's official - iPhone mania was in full bloom Friday as hundreds of people camped out at Apple stores in New York and elsewhere for their shot at the pricey gadgets.

The line outside Apple's flagship Soho store in New York snaked for blocks as consumers stood, sat under umbrellas and lounged on folding chairs, ready to shell out up to $600 for the devices that go on sale at 6 p.m.
    pic
    The faithful on line outside Apple's store in midtown Manhattan on Thursday.
    Video More video

"We've been in line for days. It's very uncomfortable out here in these chairs," said Melanie Rivera, a customer near the front of the line. "But people are very social. We've made it through the rain, so we feel like we're getting closer to the phone."
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 03/11/2009 at 10:04 PM.
    ^ Where is all the money in the US economy? Apple has it all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast