1.    #1  
    Just for giggles (I really hope this doesn't happen), but what happens if Palm goes under? I for one think the Pre technology is too good to go down the bit bucket. If the unthinkable happens, someone with lots of $$$ clearly aquires this technology to get it out the door. Thoughts?
    Palm isn't going under. No thoughts..lol
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm isn't going under. No thoughts..lol
    They better hurry up and release this phone then! I do not want another 700p debacle and they wait over a year to fix the problem! (or was it two years)
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844 View Post
    They better hurry up and release this phone then! I do not want another 700p debacle and they wait over a year to fix the problem! (or was it two years)
    You mean when they hurried up and released the 700p before it was ready? Yet you want them to hurry up and release the Pre? Does that make sense to you?
    If Palm has to be liquidated (which I seriously doubt at the moment), I think Apple would be interested in buying. It would give Apple unquestionable mobility expertise (and IP). Plus there are a lot of high level connections between the two companies. I think Palm would add a lot to Apple. Heck, I bet WebOS could be ported from Linux to OSX without ridiculous difficulty. Unfortunately, that would also be the end of the Palm openness that we all love so much.

But under the circumstances, more likely scenarios include: more money from Elevation, chap 11 restructuring, and none of the above.

It will be tight, but if Palm has three quarters worth of cash, and gains another quarter or so after their stock sale, they have about three quarters of a year after the release of the Pre to start making serious profit. Unless something really bad happens, or unless the Pre really bombs for some reason that absolutely no one in the tech industry sees, they're going to make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    You mean when they hurried up and released the 700p before it was ready? Yet you want them to hurry up and release the Pre? Does that make sense to you?
    I agree that they shouldn't rush the Pre if it's not ready, but the 700p fiasco is nothing like this (I hope). The 700p was NEVER ready, because it was poorly conceived from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    If Palm has to be liquidated (which I seriously doubt at the moment), I think Apple would be interested in buying. It would give Apple unquestionable mobility expertise (and IP). Plus there are a lot of high level connections between the two companies. I think Palm would add a lot to Apple. Heck, I bet WebOS could be ported from Linux to OSX without ridiculous difficulty. Unfortunately, that would also be the end of the Palm openness that we all love so much.

But under the circumstances, more likely scenarios include: more money from Elevation, chap 11 restructuring, and none of the above.

It will be tight, but if Palm has three quarters worth of cash, and gains another quarter or so after their stock sale, they have about three quarters of a year after the release of the Pre to start making serious profit. Unless something really bad happens, or unless the Pre really bombs for some reason that absolutely no one in the tech industry sees, they're going to make it.
    I would prefer Palm go bankrupt and be forever lost than to be bought by the likes of Apple.
    chapter 11 is more likley. Not to many companies out there which would be in a postion to buy them.

However, they do have value as a purchase. Extensive patens (as we have learned) a good brand name and a new UI for a new phone. Pluse exiting relationships with carriers.

Maybe HP or Dell ,both looking to get into the smart phone market, would grab them. Maybe even HTC.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    This is a nice article on Palm's financial situation.

Palm 'Pre' Launch Costs May Prove A Financial Burden
    They raised another $83M with the additional offering, but one has to wonder as they are now becoming a "one-trick-pony" in the short term. Can they sell enough of this one phone to allow them to survive long enough to make it to version 2 and then a new line of products?
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    They raised another $83M with the additional offering, but one has to wonder as they are now becoming a "one-trick-pony" in the short term. Can they sell enough of this one phone to allow them to survive long enough to make it to version 2 and then a new line of products?
    Motorola bought themselves years with the razr.
    Worst case, their current investors could kick in more. If it looks like they have a hit on their hands and just need more time to reach profitability that would be a smart move. If the Pre fizzles, expect them to cut their losses though.