Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The reaction in the Palm camp after that interview aired was probably not all that enthusiastic.

That thing up there screams "damage control"
    Am I correct that McNamee is a partner in the new investment firm backing Palm? I believe that is correct. And then what is his exact position. Is he a technical wizard/designer of cell phones/engineer? If not, then he should from this point, shut his mouth and allow Palm to speak for the Pre. I understand you can be enthusiastic about a product but you are hurting your product when you make unrealistic/untrue/or unsubstantiated claims.
    It merely highlights that Palm are not yet ready to mingle with the big boys.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Haven't you guys every heard of hype? You think a guy whose firm threw $100m to help create the Pre doesn't know how to talk to the press and the public?

He is just playing his role, as is Palm. Both the soundbite and the press release are being carried out to the world by every single tech site FOR FREE...meaning that Palm can use every penny of that $49 mil in share remarketing to bring this beast to a Sprint store near you.

5. With respect to the statements in the tenth paragraph of the transcript that the Palm Pre is "going to be a million times – well, not a million times – several times faster" than Apple, Inc.'s iPhone products and is "going to run rings around them on the web," the Palm Pre is still under development and it is premature to state the speed at which the device accesses the web or the relative speed of the Palm Pre compared to the smartphone products of competitors.
    Hilarious. Or do you really think that Palm's marketing team is ripping their hair out screaming "OMIGOD, did he just a say a MILLION times faster?!?"

Overclocking app for WebOSHackmaster, anyone?
    They're just covering themselves. It's already bad enough to be worrying about patent lawsuits much less something else..
    Quote Originally Posted by georges326 View Post
    Am I correct that McNamee is a partner in the new investment firm backing Palm? I believe that is correct. And then what is his exact position. Is he a technical wizard/designer of cell phones/engineer? If not, then he should from this point, shut his mouth and allow Palm to speak for the Pre. I understand you can be enthusiastic about a product but you are hurting your product when you make unrealistic/untrue/or unsubstantiated claims.
    some press is better than no press...
    McNamee did the right thing...

palm is the underdog anyways... pre could be very much release un-noticed... now its in the spotlight for sure...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    He was pretty much right on except for some exaggerated talk about iphone users upgrading within a month after contract. But then again, he's probably not off on that too much either. He didn't say they'd go to the Pre..

Generally people do upgrade after contract.

He's out there selling it and sharing his enthusiasm though. I enjoy listening to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4618 View Post
    some press is better than no press...
    McNamee did the right thing...

palm is the underdog anyways... pre could be very much release un-noticed... now its in the spotlight for sure...
    I'm with you. Palm still knows nothing about hyping it's own products, apparently. McNamee is keeping the Pre active in people's minds while Palm just puts up a webpage.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What's with these statements???

5. With respect to the statements in the tenth paragraph of the transcript that the Palm Pre is "going to be a million times – well, not a million times – several times faster" than Apple, Inc.'s iPhone products and is "going to run rings around them on the web," the Palm Pre is still under development and it is premature to state the speed at which the device accesses the web or the relative speed of the Palm Pre compared to the smartphone products of competitors.

6. With respect to the statements in the twelfth paragraph of the transcript that "there are aspects of the Pre that are unlike any phone you've every seen before," "the Pre is the first one that is the next generation" and "the result is it does a lot of things the others guys don't do," the Palm Pre is designed to be the first phone based on the Palm webOS™ platform and as a result will have different operating characteristics and features than other phones, however; the Palm Pre is still under development and it is premature to compare its full functionality with that of other phones.

The Pre is still under development???
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    McNamee (who is also on Palm's board) may not be singing in the right key, but it's definitely the right song. The guy put up some amount of his own cash to support the Pre. It's to his own advantage to talk it up, and to have it be a success. I agree with whoever said that the SEC filing seems to serve more to pump what Roger said rather than to cover themselves (though there is some of that).

I like it all. It's quirky, it's interesting. Most of all, it enhances my interest in the product.
    Diva,
    Until it releases, it's still officially under development.
    Quote Originally Posted by georges326 View Post
    McNamee has been the best thing to happen to Palm in a long time, and he's also the best promoter. The only reason for the "clarification" is that Palm is about to sell some stock and so everything they say about the future of the company in effect becomes part of the prospectus.
    The only he screwed up was going on Bloomberg.
    He should of went on CNBC, then he could have really hyped it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Haven't you guys every heard of hype? You think a guy whose firm threw $100m to help create the Pre doesn't know how to talk to the press and the public?
    Too true, he didn't just tip in 100mil, all up he is good for 450mil i believe, and didn't he say in one interview he has 6/8 staff in at Palm full time.

One would imagine he has rather unfetter'd access to the product and the R&D team. (Even the CEO is hardly going to tell the 450 million dollar man what he can and can't do) He is excited about the product, so one would imagine most of what he says is true, (albeit maybe a little exaggerated)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    The Pre is still under development???
    It's in Beta - changes are still being made every day. Changes will be made every day until someone declares a freeze and they go into full production/distribution (but development will still continue then too - especially on the software side).
    Just because Palm has an obligation to be more conservative and factual in their official statements doesnt mean they are displeased with McNamee.

Going up against an incumbent like the iPhone they need all the hype and excitement they can get. If they were really displeased with what he said you would have heard a retraction that night, not buried in the back pages of a filing days later.
    This is all about the SEC and stock speculation. All products are "in development" until the moment they are launched. Any forward-looking statements that are not on the vetted script cause all manner of investigation into insider trading. Martha Stewart comes to mind.
    Sorry but McNamee seems like a huge flake to me. The late-middle-age hippie haircut and the Batman-style belt are just for starters. What, exactly, is the point of coming out to the media and making outlandish claims about how fantastic your product when it hasn't even been launched yet? Why not let the product speak for itself?

Yeah, I know they REALLY need people to line up outside the Sprint stores on the weekend of release. It's pretty much expected, now, like the encore set at a rock concert.
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Sorry but McNamee seems like a huge flake to me. The late-middle-age hippie haircut and the Batman-style belt are just for starters.
    His long hair was not because he's a late-middle-age hippie: Obama Wins, Roger McNamee Loses His Hair

My hair was a protest against the most mean spirited, incompetent administration in my lifetime. Giving to Locks of Love allows me to end the protest on a positive note on a positive night.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast