Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    HTC - Products - HTC Touch Diamond2 - Overview

A More Intimate Conversation

In today’s world, a conversation can take many forms, from voice to text … but there’s always a person on the other end. The HTC Touch Diamond2 arranges your conversations by people, not just by how you speak with them.

When looking at your contacts, you now can see a history of your conversation in whatever form it took place. It doesn’t matter if you get asked about a recent email while you are talking on the phone, or if you’re in a café reminiscing about a friend’s recent text – all your interactions are neatly laid out for viewing and follow-up in a tree of communication with that person.
    LoL. Somehow I'm not surprised. You can be assured that Apple and many other companies will have similar features to the Pre and may even come out with better phones if Palm doesn't get this thing out to the market very very soon.
    Sounds pretty cool, but I somehow doubt it is as tightly integrated as it is on the Pre. Still, they'll claim it's the same thing. I haven't seen either of them in person, but I think this is core to the way webOS organizes information, and it shows up in multiple ways (messaging, contact info, perhaps others?). A WinMo machine may apply some band-aids to copy some of the behavior, but it won't be the same.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Its a bit different.

From the video's I've seen of the new TouchFlo what it will be is when you click on a contact it brings up their information and at the bottom of their information are little tabs, akin to the normal touch flo screen. They have a tab for IM, Text, Email, and Call history I think.

So its not an inline thing with the pre, where you see IM and then text and such all in one line, but is instead all found on the persons "contact" page, but each seperated out to its own thing within that page.
    I saw somewhere that Asurian (or something like it) came out with a synergy app for Android, and it looks great, I don't have the link handy (posting w my phone)
    It highlights why having a large gap between product announcement and release is a bad thing. By the time the Pre comes out its impact will have been diluted by rivals copying the best aspects.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    It highlights why having a large gap between product announcement and release is a bad thing. By the time the Pre comes out its impact will have been diluted by rivals copying the best aspects.
    Exactly! The competition isn't exactly sitting on their hands now. Apple is hard at work "Synergizing" MobileMe, and everyone else is figuring how to make their current solutions more Synergy-like. Wait too long and everyone will say, "what's the big deal? We've been using that for 6 months on our xx". Lose the hype and you might as well stay home. If it does turn into a June release (which I doubt, but hey - it's Palm) then Elevation Partners are going to get smoked.
    Not really. I expect it in June. Noone is coming to market before then with webOS features.
    I can't argue with any of your points. The sooner the Pre arrives the better. The longer it takes the more the competition will have to copy some of its great features. WebOs appears to be much better than anything on the market. Let's no forget, however, that there is a second part to the puzzle that the Pre excels at, and that is its form factor. The phone is the right size. The phone is sexy/gorgeous. At WMC the comment was made that compared to the Pre all other phones seemed large and clunky. Other companies have more than one way they need to catch up to the Pre. And you better believe there is a Pre2 that will be out by Christmas. I'm also guessing a netbook might be available by Christmas too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    This I agree with 100%, especially when related to Palm.

There are hints that the phone still isn't ready for primetime, if you read between the lines of other released statements. Not good Palm, not good. You would think by this time, only finishing touches just need to be applied.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I can only go on palm keeps saying they're on schedule for first half 2009 release. Anything else is speculation and i take first half to mean June.

BTW..its just not that simple for the competition to copy webOS features by June. WM? Android? Forget it. Iphone would need new hardware and some serious OS work and they're simply not going to do something that major this year.

How many smartphones coming down the pike with a release of June or before (or even by the end of year) do you know that has a Pre form factor, capacitive screen, multitouch, gestures, card system, synergy, notifications, etc?

The main worry is palm delaying past the first half. But the ball is in their court.
    I'm not sure the Synergy type app is included(although it sounds like the "HTC Album 2.5.1820.4127 w/ Social Networking" could be it), but they're already ripping the Diamond 2's interface apps for use on older Touches and Diamonds.

Cellphones: Touch Diamond2 Apps Ripped for Original Touch Diamond, Touch Pro

Obviously WM phones can't do all the Pre has to offer but some developer could imitate things with a cooked firmware.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Maybe it is just me, but I am done with resistive touch screens. I have WM 6.1 right now and can't wait for the Pre.