Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Other than the Iphone, what do you guys think the best phone there is out right now? I mean... If the Pre isn't really this great thing i'm hoping it to be (knock on wood) then what's the next best or best phone out???
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    That's like asking what's the best food. There is no wrong answer.

A phone is a tool. Would you use a saw to screw in a bolt? No. But it sure cuts good. Different tools for different jobs.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
  3.    #3  
    Yeah you got a point... How about based on: 1.Camera 2.Internet speed 3.Features 4. (Of course) User friendly OS.....Something more on the entertainment side rather than the business side... Tell me your Opinions...
    For me if you exclude the Pre and Iphone, i'd look at the Treo Pro for now. It'd definitely be a sprint phone. Down the line who knows?
    What do we think the best phone is, other than the iphone?

As if there isn't a better phone out there right now other than the iphone?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I would go back to my 750 before going to an iphone.

So for me, if the Pre isn't it, there's still plenty of choices other than the iphone. That's me.
  6.    #6  
    Well I know a lot of people would say the Iphone because they don't know about any other phones. You could say the Iphone is great without even researching it....
    I really do like my Blackberry Curve. It works well for e mail, multimedia, messaging, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Leaves me a bit wanting as far as the web goes though. I stick to mobile websites mostly. Thank goodness these forums are accessible from a mobile device! Lord knows where else I would whine about the lack of news about the Pre on the go.

It is a great phone overall... But like I said, it leaves me yearning for a bit more.
    The iphone is a fantastic device for browsing the net in the palm of your hand. Other than that, it's average, at best, at just about everything else. I would never buy an iphone.

I would take HTC's offerings over an iPhone. The Touch Pro 2 looks awesome, when it comes out this summer. I also think Android kicks arse, and it will soon be on many more phones than the G1.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Check out the G1. It does a ton of stuff that the Pre can do. But not totally.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    What do we think the best phone is, other than the iphone?

As if there isn't a better phone out there right now other than the iphone?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but I would go back to my 750 before going to an iphone.

So for me, if the Pre isn't it, there's still plenty of choices other than the iphone. That's me.
    That's interesting. I have been without my iPhone for around 4 weeks and I have been using my 750 again for the first time in a while.

The things I miss most about not having my iPhone are the wi-fi, large screen, web browsing experience and ipod capabilities (I know I can put stuff on my 750, but it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack and I can't find any old 2.5mm headphones or my 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor).

On the plus side, I like having the keyboard and email and tasks are much better. I also like how it sits in the hand. It just is more comfortable and the soft touch means I don't feel like I'm about to drop it.

I guess my excitement for the Pre is that I see it combining the best of both of these phones.
    The Pre isn't even out yet, and we know very little about it.

Wait until it gets here. With all the quality issues Palm has had, I worry about the sliding keyboard not lasting a year for many. If that's the case, but the rest is good, can you really anoint it the best phone?
    you're never going to get an answer as its so subjective, such as whats the best car out there right now.

the best phone out there is the one that works best for that particular individual, whatever it may be.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Here's the real point for me. I want a device that performs well as a PDA and a phone. That is sophisticated enough to handle my business needs, yet simple enough to use that it does not hinder me. It needs to do this while providing me with a cost effective (for me. Everyone will have to make their own decisions on cost effectiveness) means of adding applications, and calling/data plans flexible enough to meet changing requirements and cashflow.
    Well, for me, it's an elimination series. There are a lot of great phones out there that have what I was after, a keyboard, or some semblance of one, a nice sized screen, 3G...those were my bare requirements. I eliminated the WinMobHel phones after reading so much about them, and sadly, those are a lot of great phones. That left the Blackhead phones...scary water for sure, tough to migrate from Palm land unless you love Outlook (I do NOT), and that group....it's a scary group. Like Cubs' fans, which finally made me an anti-Cubs fan.
    iPhone OS 3.0 will probably be released right about the same time as the Pre. In fact, I believe that's why we don't have a release date for the Pre. The last thing that Palm wants is media articles that says "New Palm Launches This Week / iPhone Update" Most experts are not expecting a significant iPhone hardware update this Summer but they are expecting a significant software update to counter the Pre. Apple would just love to drop that bomb right on top of the Pre release.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 03/09/2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Well, for me, it's an elimination series. There are a lot of great phones out there that have what I was after, a keyboard, or some semblance of one, a nice sized screen, 3G...those were my bare requirements. I eliminated the WinMobHel phones after reading so much about them, and sadly, those are a lot of great phones. That left the Blackhead phones...scary water for sure, tough to migrate from Palm land unless you love Outlook (I do NOT), and that group....it's a scary group. Like Cubs' fans, which finally made me an anti-Cubs fan.
    Don't count out Windows Mobile just yet. It has a huge following among the business crowd and an even bigger development community than iPhone or S60-based phones.

In fact, HTC's newest WinMo phones have 3.2" 480x800px screens, 528MHz processors and even a synergy-like shell... (check out my thread on that)
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    iPhone OS 3.0 will probably be released right about the same time as the Pre. In fact, I believe that's why we don't have a release date for the Pre. The last thing that Palm wants is media articles that says "New Palm Launches This Week / iPhone Update" Most experts are not expecting a significant iPhone hardware update this Summer but they are expecting a significant software update to counter the Pre. Apple would just love to drop that bomb right on top of the Pre release.
    Yes, because the OS that took Palm over two years to develop will only take Apple 5 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Don't count out Windows Mobile just yet. It has a huge following among the business crowd and an even bigger development community than iPhone or S60-based phones.

In fact, HTC's newest WinMo phones have 3.2" 480x800px screens, 528MHz processors and even a synergy-like shell... (check out my thread on that)
    phones that can have 2.0Ghz cpu, 2GB of RAM and WinMo will still run the same, sorry to burst your bubbles. I've been using WinBlow for a number of years, and regardless of the hardware, the OS is probably the most unefficient use of hardware resources I have ever encountered. It won't matter if you have bleeding edge, top of the line hardwares, as long as you don't have the OS that actually takes advantage of it, its good as a razr....maybe a tad better.

And S60 counts for the majority of mobile OS shares by a huge margin. Remember, the US isn't the whole world when it comes to the share of handsets, its just a small part compared to the rest of the world.
    Apple is a monster for sure, but let's not give them too much credit here. Or think they're that worried about palm. If apple is smart they'll let palm sink or swim and not pay them a glance. It's already an uphill battle for palm.

I expect a few software tweaks here and there, video recording, and a storage bump from apple to keep it somewhat refreshed but nothing earth changing. Don't fix what isn't broken...especially only a year after the iphone 3g.
    Exactly. HTC's phones are fantastic except for using the wrong software...oh, and forgot to mention my other constraint: I'm a Verizon guy, the whole family is on, I do like the great service and coverage no matter where I am. So as many phones as there are out there, why isn't there one, even ONE that meets my criteria? Sadly, there is not. The Storm was close, and I could have lived without the wifi, but the quality and migration problems were large. I do not like Outlook, did I mention that? And Agendus does NOT look like Palm desktop.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast