Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I've been using WinBlow for a number of years, and regardless of the hardware, the OS is probably the most unefficient use of hardware resources I have ever encountered. It won't matter if you have bleeding edge, top of the line hardwares, as long as you don't have the OS that actually takes advantage of it, its good as a razr....maybe a tad better.
    I think the thousands of enthusiasts and developers on sites like PPCGeek and XDA-Developers will most likely disagree with you. And so would I, respectfully. I don't want to turn this in to a Pre vs. iPhone vs. WinMo conversation, but WinMo is the best OS out there in terms of customization. You can basically mod it to the point where one can't even tell if it's WinMo. Some people, like myself, prefer that ability, or the fact that you can simply upgrade to the newest OS versions or pre-cooked ROMs whenever you want.
  2.    #22  
    See I was looking at the G1 too but the styling on the phone looks kind of... boring I guess you could say. I'm also excited for the HTC touch pro 2 and the N97 to come out to I can maybe try them out. I just wish the N97 would come to sprint so if I did want it I could get it cheaper than GSM.
  3. haydur's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by jknorr View Post
    See I was looking at the G1 too but the styling on the phone looks kind of... boring I guess you could say. I'm also excited for the HTC touch pro 2 and the N97 to come out to I can maybe try them out. I just wish the N97 would come to sprint so if I did want it I could get it cheaper than GSM.
    Are there any Nokia phones that are CDMA?
  4.    #24  
    [QUOTE=haydur;1566716]I don't want to turn this in to a Pre vs. iPhone vs. WinMo conversation,QUOTE]

    That's what this is though... What's the best of the best (In your own opinion of course). I know there is ONE OS/Phone out there that everyone agrees is the best but maybe we can narrow it down some...
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    Are there any Nokia phones that are CDMA?
    Good point haha no there's not. ( I don't think...)
  6. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #26  
    The best bets outside of the Pre and iPhone that will be coming out in the near forseeable future.

    HTC Magic (?), aka what appears to be possibly the G2.

    HTC Touch Diamond and Pro 2. Bigger screen, WinMo 6.5 which is seemingly more finger friendly, and updated TouchFlo.
    Last edited by Zyphlin; 03/09/2009 at 11:15 AM.
  7. #27  
    Call me crazy, but the iPhone is not even in the running. Have you actually tried typing on one? You have to be kidding. It's almost the same keyboard I have on my T3 but without a stylus! Who has fingers that size? And there aren't biz apps like DocsToGo last I checked. The Bold or Curve might be close if they were touchscreens with larger screens, and BB had a desktop app. The Centro would be with larger keyboard and screen. So the Pre is the dream machine. Until we get it....and then find it's faults. I have not played with the G1, so can't comment on that.
    Last edited by Zorro1; 03/09/2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added comment
  8. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #28  
    Well, if you insist. You're crazy. There's a reason its one of if not the best selling domestic phone, and its not because people can't type on it.

    I can understand a "Its not for me" and its far from a great phone, but the thing is on the top of the heap for a reason and in general...yes...its not just in the running with the Pre, its what the Pre would need to unseat.
  9.    #29  
    Deffinitally a downfall on the iphone's keyboard... Wouldn't the Pre even be more sweet if it slid out like the sidekick?
  10. #30  
    If the Pre had a landscape kb i wouldn't buy it.
  11.    #31  
    pshhhh what ev man.. what. ev... Just kidding.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I think the thousands of enthusiasts and developers on sites like PPCGeek and XDA-Developers will most likely disagree with you. And so would I, respectfully. I don't want to turn this in to a Pre vs. iPhone vs. WinMo conversation, but WinMo is the best OS out there in terms of customization. You can basically mod it to the point where one can't even tell if it's WinMo. Some people, like myself, prefer that ability, or the fact that you can simply upgrade to the newest OS versions or pre-cooked ROMs whenever you want.
    I totally concur.
    I've used WinMo devices for years now. The fact is, there are enough hacks, UI mods, and tweaks you can do to a WinMo device that anyone that tells you they don't do what they want, is either lazy or lying.

    The only thing Winmo CAN NOT DO, is multitouch screen.

    The problem is, there is a very large segment of people out there that want/expect to unwrap their new phone and have it do 95% of everything they want in a phone immediately out of the box. Winmo is not that. It takes a bit of leg work to style it the way you want with the limitless tweaks and UI's out there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, if you insist. You're crazy. There's a reason its one of if not the best selling domestic phone, and its not because people can't type on it.

    I can understand a "Its not for me" and its far from a great phone, but the thing is on the top of the heap for a reason and in general...yes...its not just in the running with the Pre, its what the Pre would need to unseat.
    Yes and that reason is it's looks, and who makes it (trendiness). And yes, I really believe that.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pflaumen View Post
    Yes, because the OS that took Palm over two years to develop will only take Apple 5 months.
    Sure, if Palm started from scratch and Apple started with iPhone OS 2.2
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by haydur View Post
    I think the thousands of enthusiasts and developers on sites like PPCGeek and XDA-Developers will most likely disagree with you. And so would I, respectfully. I don't want to turn this in to a Pre vs. iPhone vs. WinMo conversation, but WinMo is the best OS out there in terms of customization. You can basically mod it to the point where one can't even tell if it's WinMo. Some people, like myself, prefer that ability, or the fact that you can simply upgrade to the newest OS versions or pre-cooked ROMs whenever you want.
    I'm not disagreeing with you regarding customization. I wasn't talking about which is better, simply stating a fact that Symbian OS dominates the mobile OS market share. There maybe be thousands of enthusiasts, but compared to the hundreds of millions of cell phone users, that is a tiny drop in the bucket. I have no loyatly but only use the OS that works the best for me at the moment which changes from time to time. Personally, I believe there is no such thing as the best OS, just like there is no best car or best outfit. everyone has different needs. Whats one man's trash is another's treasure.
  15. doc31's Avatar
    Posts
    707 Posts
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    #35  
    if for whatever reason i couldn't get the pre I would buy the diamond 2
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    Sure, if Palm started from scratch and Apple started with iPhone OS 2.2
    Thats the thing. Palm did start from scratch. WebOS was designed from the bottom up for mobile devices. It isn't a port of a desktop operating system to a mobile device. I doubt Apple could suddenly implement the changes needed to their OS to compete with WebOS in such a short time frame.
  17.    #37  
    Only downfall to getting the diamond though is the keyboard... If you don't mind that ( In which case I do..) then it's a go... not to mention that it's got something the pro won't have.... a 5 MP camera.
  18. #38  
    Apple does get credit for elegantly implementing hardware and software as one. Palm does the same thing, but is now playing catchup. Hopefully the Pre will do that as advertised. Will they take biz away from Apple? I'd be really surprised. Apple folk don't give up their stuff willingly. I still recall the heart wrench I went thru when the accountants who used Macs abandoned them in the mid-90's. Intuit was kind enough to give us free Windows software so that we could migrate to WinHel machinery. Like that made it worthwhile. I went from a friendly computer that made sense and worked...to Win 95, a mere pretender with more freakin' checkboxes and options that had to be turned on and off that you couldn't find...and that sweat that would break out on your forehead without notice when things went wrong. And they would go unbearably wrong. The Mac? You restarted and were good to go. *sigh* I'm digressing. But that's the lure of Apple.
  19. #39  
    That might be the lure in the PC market, but not in the phone section. Iphones haven't been known for being rock solid like Macs have. Resets, crashes, dropped calls, cracks, etc.

    But nope, they wouldn't give it up unless there was something worthwhile to give it up for. Not too many multitouch capacitive screen smartphones running around with a user friendly UI.

    Although some may be "locked" in by having bought so many iphone apps, i feel it really comes down to this: Itunes. Being able to sync playlists and everything else itunes is capable of. Major mistake from Palm to not finish the basement after building such a nice house.

    About the iphone apps, i think that's more psychological since the most used ones are free and studies show that most are not even used after a few days.
  20. #40  
    All personal preferences. If you were to say what is the most popular phone, the answer would be the iPhone
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

    Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions