Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Colleen Bullington from Palm is answering questions this week on their facebook page:

I wanted to write this post sooner, but I spent all day yesterday at a video shoot with a couple of people from Sprint. We have a pretty nice, creative collaboration going on with them, so Carlo, to your question, I feel pretty fortunate that we do have such a good working relationship with Sprint and are all focused on the same end goal. We were shooting a video segment against a green screen which is pretty cool technology. It allows you to shoot the actors and then composite them over a different or variety of backgrounds. Itís amazing how much science is involved in the art of making a creative piece. And itíll be fun to see how the finished product turns out once they finish all of the post production. I canít wait for you to see it and wish I could say more nowÖ!

At least they are working on some commercials allready, but....

As for timing, Eli? Nice try, but you wonít get the launch date from me. You will see our campaign break when the product does launch, though! And Steve, I canít say anything else about timing in the US or anywhere else, unfortunately...
    I facebook too!
    Beautiful info! So does that final paragraph mean they are going to launch an advertising campaign at the same time they launch the Pre? (That would be great for us guys... That means we would get our phones first before the general public was able to jump on the hype train.)

I've always wondered if Palm would wait until the product was released to launch a large ad campaign so they could ramp up production while getting free advertising by having these things on the streets. Trust me, if I have my Pre before the general public is aware about it... I will be snobbing that thing around like nobody's business.

Is this unheard of? To wait until the launch of a phone before you start a large advertising campaign?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    It's kind of funny she mentions green screening as if it were an awesome technology even when chroma keying has been around for probably 2-3 decades now LOL but I guess I can understand - it IS fun to do green screening when you've never done it before. I guess it's just silly to hear her think of that old technology as "pretty cool technology" when she supposedly works with "world-class advertising and marketing agencies "
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    It's kind of funny she mentions green screening as if it were an awesome technology even when chroma keying has been around for probably 2-3 decades now LOL but I guess I can understand - it IS fun to do green screening when you've never done it before. I guess it's just silly to hear her think of that old technology as "pretty cool technology" when she supposedly works with "world-class advertising and marketing agencies "
    Hopefully the Sprint side of the marketing partnership is more tech-savvy or maybe Colleen just makes the coffee.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/06/2009 at 05:07 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Lol, they will not advertise probabely before the Sprint Premier customers are notified of the phone first.
    Which tells me we will see the Pre long before the summer, perhaps next month. Considering they are videoing the commercial some marketing group has already figured out the script, total price, and theme of the commercial, which is the longest part of creating a commercial. Post production can happen quickly, in a matter of days.

I doubt Sprint/Palm would be working on commercials now only to sit on the finished product for several months.

Edit:

This with the known fact Sprint is testing the Pre tells me to expect a release sooner than the summer. If Palm's product wasn't ready to go until June then Sprint wouldn't be software testing the Pre. Why would Sprint pay employees to test a product that is in a late alpha or early beta stage? Carriers give the cell phone companies a "final" product, and the cell phone companies test this final product for bugs specific to their network or their software such as vCast or Sprint navigation.
    Well, it's in their best interests and some would say crucial to release it sooner than later. I'm sure they're working on it.
    cardfan, it will be released soon. i heart you.

by cards, are you referring to arizona? st louis?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    Considering they are videoing the commercial some marketing group has already figured out the script, total price, and theme of the commercial, which is the longest part of creating a commercial. Post production can happen quickly, in a matter of days.
    I doubt Sprint/Palm would be working on commercials now only to sit on the finished product for several months.
    First as i mentioned a few weeks ago, I know there are major Sprint advert buys for April.

But you are jumping to several conclusions. Total price would not have to be known until a day before the adverts run, those are post production one or two second flashes pasted a the end of the commercial -- and may not be incuded at all included.

Secondly since the commercials are just converting what we saw at CES into sexier layman's terms they could have made these commercials at the same time as CES, so the making of them, while it is good news, doesn't point to any further progress since January 9 in terms of development (although of course development has moved forward),

You can be certain iphone video promotional materiel was shot three months before release. 90% of commercial shoots are never used, and sometimes they are done way before a product launch as part of test marketing wit focus groups (I use to do this myself)

Quote Originally Posted by crazytexan View Post
    This with the known fact Sprint is testing the Pre tells me to expect a release sooner than the summer.
    Sprint employees alpha tested instinct and tested alphas of instinct six months before release. They had their hands on the earliest alphas, later alphas, early betas, final betas and finals. Testing and final testing are not the same thing. there is no information in any final testing.

I think they are trying for April but there is nothing at all that precludes May oor June in any of this "evidence"
  11.    #11  
    Now she says that commercials WILL launch, before the pre is available....
    That would make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Lol, they will not advertise probabely before the Sprint Premier customers are notified of the phone first.
    Why do you say that? just curious.
    On that note. Don't feel too special if you are a Sprint Premier customer. We will NOT get first dibs on the Pre. We MAY be the first notified, but it's still first come first serve.

I confirmed this twice with Sprint themselves.
  15.    #15  
    Because they said, that Sprint Premier customers will be notified before everyone else about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Because they said, that Sprint Premier customers will be notified before everyone else about it.
    The only thing they do is notify you and allow you to buy it one day before the the actual release date. But, we all know how sprint stores are, if you find the right store and person, you'll have your Pre before the actually release day.

For instance, with the Instinct, it came out on a Sunday, I was notified a few days before then stating that I could go down and play with it on Saturday, and buy it then if I wanted to. It was a flyer of some sort that you printed out and took with you to the Sprint store.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Yep..i take that whole Premier thing with a grain of salt. It's just marketing crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3xacharm View Post
    cardfan, it will be released soon. i heart you.

by cards, are you referring to arizona? st louis?
    neither.... its the card system fan of webOs
    Well, at least we now know Dan won't be walking around with a Pre & talking up the network in a black & white commercial.

Sprint to kill off Hesse commercials for better or worse : Boy Genius Report
    Finally..lol
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast