Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are a number of "big" things that many of us believe or hope have been improved upon in the Pre from the Palm's previous devices/operating systems.

What about the little things?

I'm not sure if it's just third-party software or what, but I look forward to the day when virtual button placement is better thought-out. For instance, I just installed a program by pressing the "install" button. There was no apparent response from the system so I was about to press the button, again, in case the first time didn't "take." Just before I pressed the screen, installation began and a "cancel" button appeared precisely where the "install" button was before. I feel like we ought to be well beyond those kinds of design screw-ups by now.

Similarly, I hope turning on the phone doesn't require the same button press or gesture that also happens to hang up an existing call or ignore an incoming one. That's how it is on my 755p and, again, I'd expect us to be far beyond that kind of thing by 2009.

So, yeah, these types of things aren't necessarily deal-breakers, when the rest of the system appears to be impressive, but they can be a real pain, over time.

Which "little things" are you hoping to see improved in the Pre/WebOS?
    Last edited by west3man; 03/06/2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarifying topic
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I could understand that being annoying, but since most of us here have never touched a Palm Pre sadly, its really hard to complain about "the small things". Your one little complaint, might not be an issue on the Pre at all. Other than that, all I can complain about is the lack of microSD and/or 16GB of storage space and possibly the lack of local sync if they don't have a great solution to replace that. Lack of video record and alarm clock have also been brought up as minor issues, but will likely be fixed with 3rd party apps. I'm also hoping free tethering will soon work with 3rd party apps/hacks and that most of the apps especially VNC and/or Logmein won't be too far behind cause I use them a lot! Battery life also may potentially be an issue, but again, who knows.

Oh, another minor thing that I've been wishing for, for a long time that my 755p doesn't have and the Pre won't have either is a 3-way on/off/vibrate switch. They always have a on/off switch, but considering I usually either have sound on or on vibrate, it's nice to have that 3rd option just in case.
    Last edited by schnoid; 03/05/2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Similarly, I hope turning on the phone doesn't require the same button press or gesture that also happens to hang up an existing call or ignore an incoming one. That's how it is on my 755p and, again, I'd expect us to be far beyond that kind of thing by 2009.
    Well, we do know now that there's a separate power button on the top of the device, and it has two separate functions, but neither of those seems to be anything to do with calls. (I think a short press gives you a menu of things to turn off and a long press turns off the phone or something, but I can't remember).

The only way to actually answer calls seems to be on the screen though.

Oh, and as for your comment about buttons in different places, in the WM Standard on my current Q9c I have that issue all the time. What's worst is that in some programs the left softkey is back and the right softkey is next, like you'd expect, but for some unknown reason, in other programs, they hae that backwards.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I could understand that being annoying, but since most of us here have never touched a Palm Pre sadly, its really hard to complain about "the small things". Your one little complaint, might not be an issue on the Pre at all. Other than that, all I can complain about is the lack of microSD and/or 16GB of storage space and possibly the lack of local sync if they don't have a great solution to replace that. Lack of video record and alarm clock have also been brought up as minor issues, but will likely be fixed with 3rd party apps. I'm also hoping free tethering will soon work with 3rd party apps/hacks and that most of the apps especially VNC and/or Logmein won't be too far behind cause I use them a lot! Battery life also may potentially be an issue, but again, who knows.
    I wasn't complaining about the Pre. I was saying that I hope the Pre improves on my 755p in those ways.
    I wasn't complaining about the Pre. I was saying that I hope the Pre improves on my 755p in those ways.
    makes sense. It seems like palm put A LOT of effort into developing the interface for the Pre, so I'm optimistic that it will be done right.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    makes sense. It seems like palm put A LOT of effort into developing the interface for the Pre, so I'm optimistic that it will be done right.
    I'm somewhat optimistic about Palm's decisions, but one of those decisions was to omit an alarm/clock application. So, my optimism knows some bounds.
    I'm hoping that the Bluetooth radio works much better than the absolute crap one in my 755p. I get static on my headset if my 755p is more than 1 meter away or if my 755p is in my Palm-branded leather holster. I have had other Bluetooth phones that honestly got a useful 10m range.

I also hope that if voice dialing is available for the Pre it works with the headset (unlike my 755p). Ie, I want to press the button on my headset and have it say "please say a command..."

So yeah, I'm really hoping that Bluetooth headsets have been thought through carefully.
    I'd like to see better BT compatibility in general. I'd like to see a few well placed hard buttons as well. Don't understand why there is some fascination with these new touchscreen phones and a single stupid center button. It's like, you have this beautiful touchscreen with all this real estate. Why would you want to do anything but use your fingers to navigate?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I'm somewhat optimistic about Palm's decisions, but one of those decisions was to omit an alarm/clock application. So, my optimism knows some bounds.
    Considering we'll probably have about 10 alarm clock applications available on day one of the webOS SDK release, I think that's a really silly thing to be annoyed about. It's true that could be an issue if they wait months to release the SDK, but I really don't think they'll do that.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm hoping that the Bluetooth radio works much better than the absolute crap one in my 755p. I get static on my headset if my 755p is more than 1 meter away or if my 755p is in my Palm-branded leather holster. I have had other Bluetooth phones that honestly got a useful 10m range.

I also hope that if voice dialing is available for the Pre it works with the headset (unlike my 755p). Ie, I want to press the button on my headset and have it say "please say a command..."

So yeah, I'm really hoping that Bluetooth headsets have been thought through carefully.
    I like this one! I bought the best bluetooth headset I could (Jawbone 2) and I have the same problem as you. When I have my phone in my car's cradle then it works fine, but if I'm walking around with my phone in my pocket, it's next to useless. I have to carry the phone at waste level to get a decent reception.
  10.    #10  
    I don't know what part of "the little things" was unclear, but that really is the point of the thread.
    Anyway, I think don't we should have to pay for certain functionality or fixes.

That brings me to another item which maybe isn't such a "little" thing: speaker volume.

With both, my 650 and my 755p, I've felt the need to buy Volume Care. I forget about that since it's kind of a one-time fix (for a given model/unit) but it is one of those things that should work right out-of-the-box.

That's what I'm really looking forward to in future write-ups about the Pre - call volume/clarity critiques.
    Last edited by west3man; 03/05/2009 at 08:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Little things? Well, an expansion card slot is a biggie, as is Garnet compatibility and some kind of non-cloud synchronization.

So with those out of the way, here's what Hardware tweaks I'd like to see that could be made as running changes to the Pre:

1. Stock battery size the same as what Seidio offers (1350mAh)

2. Available on Verizon & GSM simultaneously with the Sprint release

3. Illuminated spacebar on the keyboard (Palm hasn't had this since the 700-series and it's a small but noticable sign of cost-cutting)

4. Touchstone priced at no more than $50 with the replacement Pre battery door included in the box.

5. Change to soft-touch exterior coating all over (not just on the replacement battery door)

6. Voice recorder app , video recording for the camera standard, voice dialing over BT---all standard in ROM at launch.

And these are bit more substantial but would still be small but welcome tweaks:

7. IR port (as the Palm Facebook Q&A session said it was seriously considered for the Pre's design

8. Have the front "click" button be a 5-way trackpoint-style (directional + click) or a trackball.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  12.    #12  
    Hopefully, this will be a learning experience, for me. I should create titles that assume the reader won't read the first post - especially when it's so long.

I just don't know what else I could've called it. Any suggestions? (I tried changing it, but apparently we can't.)
    I'd hope they bring back the D-Pad. It just works so good with TealOS. I try to avoid touching the screen even as much as I can.
    Only things I want are video (hopefully software update will add this) and a Slingbox player (man, I'm going to miss this from my Treo 700p).
    With my 700p, if I turn off the phone, I can't use the bluetooth. This is rather annoying if I'm trying to use a gps dongle while playing golf at a course that has horrible reception.

Also, why does a phone have to look so hard for a signal when it loses it. The phone gets hot and burns through the battery worse than any app I run on it. Just a suggestion. Try every 10 seconds for 2 minutes to regain the signal and then bump out the retry to something like 5 or 10 minutes and display a notification on the screen that says the signal has been lost with a button to attempt to regain it (just once please) and allow the person to minimize the notification so that that can bring it back to use the button when they are back in range.
    Last edited by lugose; 03/06/2009 at 01:56 PM.
    how about getting rid of the pinch-zooming and replace it w/ something else... (so the iphone fanboys will shut up about the copy cat thingy...) they probably won't anyways... nevermind...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by lugose View Post
    With my 700p, if I turn off the phone, I can't use the bluetooth. This is rather annoying if I'm trying to use a gps dongle while playing golf at a course that has horrible reception.

Also, why does a phone have to look so hard for a signal when it loses it. The phone gets hot and burns through the battery worse than any app I run on it. Just a suggestion. Try every 10 seconds for 2 minutes to regain the signal and then bump out the retry to something like 5 or 10 minutes and display a notification on the screen that says the signal has been lost with a button to attempt to regain it (just once please) and allow the person to minimize the notification so that that can bring it back to use the button when they are back in range.
    I really dig that last one.
    Given that there's no dedicated number pad, I'd like the entire system to be a little smarter about automatically shifting to numbers when the field is almost certainly numeric, or alphabetical when the field is almost certainly going to be text.

There are places on a Treo where this works fairly well (for example, fields in Contacts automatically choose an appropriate mode), but you can't count on this behavior system-wide, mostly in 3rd-party apps.

The Palm supplied calculator automatically shifts into number mode. But the much more powerful 3rd-party RPN from Nth Lab requires you to double press option to enter numbers via the keypad.

The Excel module of Docs-to-Go is particularly egregious. Cells should default to numeric mode. But if you tap in a cell, not only do you need to explicitly shift into numeric mode, but the mode reverts to text on the next character (apparently because the focus jumps from the cell to the formula entering line, which doesn't remember the mode you were in in the cell).

I can't blame 3rd-party programs for not getting this right - they need to run on a broad range of legacy PalmOS devices, and many of them don't even have keyboards. But starting fresh on the Pre, I hope there's UI guidance from Palm to use an intelligent entry mode depending on context.
  19.    #19  
    I ALWAYS forget about that D2G bug, but it's a real pain, sometimes. Thx.
    I would like to see a dedicated button on the side for taking a picture so that when you are taking a picture of yourself you won't have to reach your hand around to touch the screen.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast