Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    To end on a somewhat positive note: I like being able to add notes to my contacts. I don't expect to have that option with the Pre.
    Since Exchange contacts have notes and the Pre syncs with Exchange, I would expect notes on contacts on the Pre. Seems like a really easy thing to implement, not sure why they would exclude it.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Since Exchange contacts have notes and the Pre syncs with Exchange, I would expect notes on contacts on the Pre. Seems like a really easy thing to implement, not sure why they would exclude it.
    I didn't see any signs that they left room for such a thing, but maybe they did.

Either way, for now, I don't have Outlook and don't plan to get it. But, like I said, my mind is certainly looking in that direction.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I'd hope they bring back the D-Pad. It just works so good with TealOS. I try to avoid touching the screen even as much as I can.
    +1
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Why do you guys want a D-Pad? First off, the phone will be easy to use without ever opening it. I should be able to surf the net for an hour without clicking any buttons once the favorites are programmed. Maybe a virtual dpad would be okay but I would rather just touch what I want over having a 4 way directional grid to select it. The point of WebOS is to not use any buttons except for text entry...

I only find the dpad helpful when I am no look texting or cheating in class with with my phone under the desk
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Why do you guys want a D-Pad? First off, the phone will be easy to use without ever opening it. I should be able to surf the net for an hour without clicking any buttons once the favorites are programmed. Maybe a virtual dpad would be okay but I would rather just touch what I want over having a 4 way directional grid to select it. The point of WebOS is to not use any buttons except for text entry...

I only find the dpad helpful when I am no look texting or cheating in class with with my phone under the desk
    It's pretty useful for one-handed operations, though it remains to be seen how well the Pre can be operated one-handed with the gestures area. On my 755p, it's so easy to surf using just the dpad--I can always get to the links I want. I frequently find myself in situations where I only have one hand available for my phone (like when driving--no, just kidding).
  6.    #66  
    Why do you guys want a D-Pad?
    As I think someone said above, some would prefer to touch the screen as little as possible. (Greasiness and all that.)

That may sound odd with a phone like the Pre, but considering how often one will have to touch the screen, anyway, it might be nice to minimize the necessity.

First off, the phone will be easy to use without ever opening it. I should be able to surf the net for an hour without clicking any buttons once the favorites are programmed. Maybe a virtual dpad would be okay but I would rather just touch what I want over having a 4 way directional grid to select it. The point of WebOS is to not use any buttons except for text entry...

Sometimes precision is particularly useful. At those times, some might miss d-pads and styli.

In my case, I'd expect to miss d-pads the most when I'm editing spreadsheets or playing emulated video games.
    I don't think it's odd with any phone. Swipes and gestures require more motion than simple directional clicks of a d-pad. Why is everyone so fascinated with having to touch the screen just because the UI has changed a bit? Ooo...a touchscreen. I now have to use my fingers to do everything Just seems like a bit of a novelty while adding some flare because it's the "in" thing right now.

Besides, if you're going to waste space with a simple center button, why not make it more useful and give it more functionality by making it a d-pad. The size difference wouldn't be that great.

west hit one nail on the head..spreadsheet editing. anything that requires field to field movement.
    As I think someone said above, some would prefer to touch the screen as little as possible. (Greasiness and all that.)

That may sound odd with a phone like the Pre, but considering how often one will have to touch the screen, anyway, it might be nice to minimize the necessity.

Sometimes precision is particularly useful. At those times, some might miss d-pads and styli.

In my case, I'd expect to miss d-pads the most when I'm editing spreadsheets or playing emulated video games.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Besides, if you're going to waste space with a simple center button, why not make it more useful and give it more functionality by making it a d-pad. The size difference wouldn't be that great.
    Exactly! I was very upset when I first heard it would not work as a d-pad/scroller. Maybe in a hack/firmware update
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I'm sure a program can allow a d-pad on screen if needed. A spreadsheet program could have a small d-pad on the bottom right of the screen when the app was open. Or allow for a few of the alpha keys to act as a d-pad.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    The d-pad will turn on the screen and doesn't change a thing. I have my backlight go off after 15 seconds and have the screen disabled while on a call. Pressing the d-pad in any direction will turn on the backlight. Am I missing something?

nevermind. you mean while it's not in use. I understand the problem. Funny, I don't think I've ever hung up on someone or sent them to VM via bad timing on hitting the red button at just the wrong moment. Is this a common problem? I've only had a 270, 700p and now a Centro. So maybe I just haven't seen enough of the modern treo (600, 650 and so on).
    It is not only about unfortunate timing on an incoming call, even if that has happened to me to more than once ore twice.
    It's also about muscle memory. I press red-center to turn on the screen and unlock without even thinking when I pull my treo out of my pocket to use it, because that is what I've learnt to do and practised doing several times a day for several years, ever since I got a Treo.
    On numerous occasions, especially when using a headset, I've hung up on people mid-sentence, making me look like a fool. "Let me just look that up for y... *click*... ... ... Hi, it's me again. I pressed the wrong buttons..."

IMO, it is bad design to use the same button for hanging up as for unlocking the device.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I'm sure a program can allow a d-pad on screen if needed. A spreadsheet program could have a small d-pad on the bottom right of the screen when the app was open. Or allow for a few of the alpha keys to act as a d-pad.
    When using a spreadsheet, it'd be problematic for alpha keys to act as a d-pad. The virtual d-pad is the only viable option I've heard of, but it sucks that it'd take away more screen real estate.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by frause View Post
    It is not only about unfortunate timing on an incoming call, even if that has happened to me to more than once ore twice.
    It's also about muscle memory. I press red-center to turn on the screen and unlock without even thinking when I pull my treo out of my pocket to use it, because that is what I've learnt to do and practised doing several times a day for several years, ever since I got a Treo.
    On numerous occasions, especially when using a headset, I've hung up on people mid-sentence, making me look like a fool. "Let me just look that up for y... *click*... ... ... Hi, it's me again. I pressed the wrong buttons..."

IMO, it is bad design to use the same button for hanging up as for unlocking the device.
    Precisely.

I can't turn the screen off when putting the phone in my pouch, while on a call, but I often need to so that I don't accidentally hang up on someone when my pouch bumps my seatbelt buckle. But it's natural to WANT to do that since I do it in every other application.

There's also the fact that, whenever I'm on a call, but in another application, I've got a short while to do whatever I'm doing before the screen reverts back to the phone app. I can keep using the d-pad to keep the current screen active, but sometimes that's not convenient and it makes it very difficult to look up information on the phone to share it with the caller.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I like those things and I'm using a 755p with an 8GB memory card. It may be half to two-thirds full (and it's that full mostly because I wanted to put enough stuff on there for the device to "see" the card in all apps).
    Memory seems to be a big complaint, but I don't understand why?

With rev A 3G just stream all of your music and movies with orb.

Just my 2 cents...

-Michael
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by paragrin View Post

Just my 2 cents...

-Michael
    It's the same as trying to decide between a navigation solution with maps that reside on the device versus one that's in the cloud.

For some, there's a certain amount of security and convenience associated with web-independent access.

Personally, I don't want to lose access to my files just because I've (temporarily or otherwise) lost access to the internet. It's a trade-off either way, of course.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Just my 2 cents...

-Michael
    Stream all your music and movies would also use more power. The battery is already lacking capacity.
    why would I want to leave my computer on at home if I didn't have to? Why would I go and buy a NAS drive if I didn't have to? What if I'm in a place that doesn't have good signal coverage like my gym where I want to listen to music while working out? Why would I want to rely more on the web when I shouldn't have to? The more I have to rely on the web, the less I can do when I don't have access to it.

Music and video are but a fraction of the things that will be in storage. And access is much quicker when it resides on the device as opposed to elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents...

-Michael
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  17.    #77  
    When I type a post, e-mail, or a long url or i.m., I like to copy it before sending it, in case something goes wrong. I'd rather not have to type it, again.

So, I typically press the menu key, then the "s" key to select the text. Next, I press menu and "c" to copy. Then, I go from there, secure in the knowledge that I didn't just type a long message just to have it disappear into the digital ether.

The problem come in when it's an instant message that I'm sending. Pressing menu and "s" doesn't save my message. It sends it. But I'm so used to that shortcut, I end up sending messages that are incomplete or which I'd decided not to send (just yet).

I hope the Pre's menus are more consistent. This problem doesn't bug me very often, but when it happens, it can be REALLY embarrassing.

Imagine typing an angry message, deciding against it,* but then accidentally sending it! Not cool.

* - then deciding to save it in case you change your mind, again
    When I type a post, e-mail, or a long url or i.m., I like to copy it before sending it, in case something goes wrong. I'd rather not have to type it, again.

So, I typically press the menu key, then the "s" key to select the text. Next, I press menu and "c" to copy. Then, I go from there, secure in the knowledge that I didn't just type a long message just to have it disappear into the digital ether.

The problem come in when it's an instant message that I'm sending. Pressing menu and "s" doesn't save my message. It sends it. But I'm so used to that shortcut, I end up sending messages that are incomplete or which I'd decided not to send (just yet).

I hope the Pre's menus are more consistent. This problem doesn't bug me very often, but when it happens, it can be REALLY embarrassing.

Imagine typing an angry message, deciding against it,* but then accidentally sending it! Not cool.

* - then deciding to save it in case you change your mind, again
    There is no save button anywhere in WebOS. At all.
    I believe he means saved via the copy function, not save like saving a draft. though I would hope you can save email drafts for sending later. And with synergy between types of messaging it would make sense that a draft could be saved for any type (text, IM, email).

Heck, my ancient aol program still in use from i500 days can save email drafts.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There is no save button anywhere in WebOS. At all.
    Strictly guessing, I would imagine once you type any message, it would function just like Gmail automatically treating it as a draft until it is sent. We'll have to see.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast