Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I have four full-length movies on my card, various random videos, I don't know how many songs, months worth of podcasts (most at least an hour in length), photos, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Maryland (and each state in-between) maps for my Street Atlas mapping software, comics... Not sure what else.

My movies are 250-500MB in size. They look great on my screen, but I'll admit they're not perfect. I'd also acknowledge the size difference between Pre and 755p screens.

All that said, I still don't think the Pre "must" to have more than eight gigs of storage. That's not to say that everyone else will cap out at 8GB. No. I'm saying that people's needs vary, which is the same as my overall point.

I can't see sigs, right now. Which phone do you have? Just curious about your screen size, etc.
    Right now I have a blackberry storm. Using a 16 gb card with 600 megs of space left.
    I get caught up in semantics, at times. Sometimes justifiably. Sometimes not so much. It's hard to say which this is.

When people keep saying, "It's not enough," if they really mean, "It's not enough... for ME," then there's nothing for me to object to. But it's obvious that not everyone who posts around here (or anywhere) speaks only for themselves. Some choose to speak for everyone* - even people they've never met or heard of - and that's my major objection.

8GB will be enough for some. People's needs do grow. There will be other WebOS devices, according to Palm. So people's needs and desires may be met more, in time.

I guess there's also the question of whether there "must" be more... for Palm to succeed. Maybe that's been the question all along and I've been too dense to notice.

* - Like those who say "No one liked the Foleo!" They're not just saying, "I didn't like it" or "my buddies didn't like it."
    You are correct. My statement generalized. My comment was in the context of the pre having univeral appeal. Right now, with only 8 gigs and no expansion, I think many people will find that to be a deal breaking limitation.
    Just kind of thought of something that may cure a bit of the unease of only having 8gigs. (Which will be more than plenty for me)

But... Can't a hotswap app be built for the Pre? I mean, the thing will essentially be a flash drive. Can't a PC app be made that hotswaps your files? Almost like a playlist that you can throw on the Pre and throw right off with an app.

Pretty much... Plug your Pre into the computer and have this hotswap app backup and format the files you have on the Pre and load in a whole other batch of media/apps files. Process shouldn't take that long. Now when the Pre reboots though... It may take a while for it to reckognize and identify all of the new files. When you wish to load the older files back on... Just throw back on said playlist.

Seems like a likely solution to me. Shouldn't be that tough to code either. I may just be coming up with something that would be a complete pain in the **** in practice though.

Won't cure the 8gig thing, but could help out some of you media hogs.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    well we always want more. bigger is better, right? The one thing that'll probably be universal is that people will do more on the Pre than they will on their current treo. The interface is more robust, the screen is larger with better resolution, it has a 3.5" jack, and it acts as an external hard drive. So it's easy to see where people could add more onto it over time and outgrow 8gb.

There will always be people that will never utilize all 8gb. They won't use it as much or at all for media. They might be happy with telenav and never install a separate gps app. That's why these are personal devices. Everyone has different needs. As others have mentioned, 8gb just seems to be quite limiting at this point in time. And considering the iphone (god I hate using that as a reference) had 16gb from the get go, coming out with brand new device two year's later that's supposed to be the savior of the company and the carrier, it just seems odd that 8gb is the first and only option.
    The first iPhone had 8GB, actually.

And if there'll be other devices, do they realize all the early adopters will be stuck in Sprint contracts and can't easily get the 16gb/32g/card slotted device easily because of it? Now it'll involve selling the Pre and paying retail for the new device. If they come out with one before year's end they'll probably have quite a few peeved owners that are stuck.
    ...and/or quite a few people whose contracts didn't expire til year's end, so now they're free to get the newer model - like what happened with the iPhone.

Heck, Apple even dropped the price.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    My bad. 4 & 8 came first. Dropped the 4gb one 2 months later. And this was when? June 2007. So we're talking two years ago. They launched the 16gb in February 08. So that's over a year ago for a 16gb model. So two years later 8gb is still the standard?
    The first iPhone had 8GB, actually.

and I don't think I'm concerned with other people's contracts. I'm talking about people who will be buying the Pre when it comes out. Apple came out with multiple sizes and even they realized they undershot with their lower end.
    ...and/or quite a few people whose contracts didn't expire til year's end, so now they're free to get the newer model - like what happened with the iPhone.

Heck, Apple even dropped the price.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  6.    #46  
    My bad. 4 & 8 came first. Dropped the 4gb one 2 months later. And this was when? June 2007. So we're talking two years ago. They launched the 16gb in February 08. So that's over a year ago for a 16gb model. So two years later 8gb is still the standard?
    There's one iPhone. There will be multiple webOS devices.

This one is smaller than all the other smartphones out there with more storage, so it's a give & take.

and I don't think I'm concerned with other people's contracts. I'm talking about people who will be buying the Pre when it comes out. Apple came out with multiple sizes and even they realized they undershot with their lower end.
    You're the one who mentioned the contracts. The debut sales aren't all that matter with the Pre any more than they were all that mattered with the iPhone.

But it's clear you and I have reached the limit of our progress on this particular subtopic, so I'll drop it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    3. Illuminated spacebar on the keyboard (Palm hasn't had this since the 700-series and it's a small but noticable sign of cost-cutting)
    How do you see this is as a cost cutting sign? The only reason the space bar doesn't light up on the Treo Pro or Pre is because it is a black phone. The pink, olive, white, and electric blue Centros all have spacebars that light up. The black, red, rose, and darker blue don't because the paint color is too dark for it work. They could make the spacebar white even on the dark colors but that is an aesthetic choice not cost savings.

Once again your desire to mark Palm as sinister clouds your judgement young Jedi.
    Last edited by nitf; 03/28/2009 at 07:28 PM.
    I can't imagine that the physical size of the Pre has anything to do with the limited amount of onboard memory.

I mentioned contracts based on the initial purchasers of the Pre and if something is already slated to follow soon after the launch. The 16gb iphone was almost 8 months after the initial release. Tough to be upset about that if you longed for more memory and were an early adopter of an 8gb iphone. If you bought a 4gb when the 8 was available then that's their own dumb fault I'd be upset if a 16gb or expandable version was available by Christmas. My comments had zero to do with the actual overall success of the phone. This is a thread about improvements we would like to see, not a thread about what improvements will improve the success of the Pre.
    There's one iPhone. There will be multiple webOS devices.

This one is smaller than all the other smartphones out there with more storage, so it's a give & take.

You're the one who mentioned the contracts. The debut sales aren't all that matter with the Pre any more than they were all that mattered with the iPhone.

But it's clear you and I have reached the limit of our progress on this particular subtopic, so I'll drop it there.
    Last edited by crogs571; 03/28/2009 at 10:50 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same old iPhone vs Pre and Pre memory limitations discussions. Enough already! It's all been said many, many times, mostly with similar levels of "heat." Come on already!
    with the lack of new information what else shall we talk about? The lack of a d-pad? how about the lack of desktop sync? no landscape keyboard? It seems most of the new threads all have the Pre playing defense. Hence the reason I started that Pre skipping thread. Though if people seem to keep coming back to the 8gb limit, doesn't it show it's somewhat of an important issue? Every time it comes up, it's usually starts with someone new bringing it up, followed by one or two comments from new people then having the usual suspects bringing up the rear.

If you're tired of hearing the same old same old then create a new thread on something else and see if it gets legs.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting tired of hearing the same old iPhone vs Pre and Pre memory limitations discussions. Enough already! It's all been said many, many times, mostly with similar levels of "heat." Come on already!
    The lack of video (-making abilities) in the Pre hurts, but I can't express how pleased I'll be to not have to chance hanging up on a new caller just by turning on my screen. I could go on about these types of things forever.

What are you looking forward to/hoping for?
    I just disable the screen during calls. Never worry about hanging up on people. You can still navigate via the d-pad and can use the screen when you migrate away from the phone screen or go to the # pad.
    The lack of video (-making abilities) in the Pre hurts, but I can't express how pleased I'll be to not have to chance hanging up on a new caller just by turning on my screen. I could go on about these types of things forever.

What are you looking forward to/hoping for?
  13.    #53  
    I just disable the screen during calls. Never worry about hanging up on people. You can still navigate via the d-pad and can use the screen when you migrate away from the phone screen or go to the # pad.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the touchscreen is not the problem. Part of the problem is that pressing the red button is the only way to turn on the screen without changing to a different application. So, if I press that button then happen to be getting a phone call, I'll hang up on the caller or send it to voicemail.

There are other examples but the bottom line is that the red button is too limiting.
    The d-pad will turn on the screen and doesn't change a thing. I have my backlight go off after 15 seconds and have the screen disabled while on a call. Pressing the d-pad in any direction will turn on the backlight. Am I missing something?

nevermind. you mean while it's not in use. I understand the problem. Funny, I don't think I've ever hung up on someone or sent them to VM via bad timing on hitting the red button at just the wrong moment. Is this a common problem? I've only had a 270, 700p and now a Centro. So maybe I just haven't seen enough of the modern treo (600, 650 and so on).
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the touchscreen is not the problem. Part of the problem is that pressing the red button is the only way to turn on the screen without changing to a different application. So, if I press that button then happen to be getting a phone call, I'll hang up on the caller or send it to voicemail.

There are other examples but the bottom line is that the red button is too limiting.
    Last edited by crogs571; 03/28/2009 at 11:44 PM.
  15.    #55  
    The d-pad will turn on the screen and doesn't change a thing. I have my backlight go off after 15 seconds and have the screen disabled while on a call. Pressing the d-pad in any direction will turn on the backlight. Am I missing something?
    The only thing I think you're missing is recollection of a third-party application you've installed because no 755p I've ever had did that.

My D-pad doesn't turn my screen on and no one has ever told me theirs did (and I've complained about this quite often).
    I edited afterwards with this part:
    nevermind. you mean while it's not in use. I was thinking while you were on a call. I understand the problem. Funny, I don't think I've ever hung up on someone or sent them to VM via bad timing on hitting the red button at just the wrong moment. Is this a common problem? I've only had a 270, 700p and now a Centro. So maybe I just haven't seen enough of the modern treo (600, 650 and so on).
  17.    #57  
    I edited afterwards with this part:
    nevermind. you mean while it's not in use. I was thinking while you were on a call. I understand the problem. Funny, I don't think I've ever hung up on someone or sent them to VM via bad timing on hitting the red button at just the wrong moment. Is this a common problem? I've only had a 270, 700p and now a Centro. So maybe I just haven't seen enough of the modern treo (600, 650 and so on).
    Yeah, I think it happened with my 650, too. Whenever I'm expecting a call, I'm really nervous about using my phone for other stuff because, if the screen goes off (which it does for no good reason sometimes), I may end up accidentally hanging up on someone/ignoring a call just by trying to turn the screen back on.
    Yeah, I think it happened with my 650, too. Whenever I'm expecting a call, I'm really nervous about using my phone for other stuff because, if the screen goes off (which it does for no good reason sometimes), I may end up accidentally hanging up on someone/ignoring a call just by trying to turn the screen back on.
    On my 755 and Centro, I thought I would press the green button to turn the screen back on. I know this takes you to the phone app, but if the screen were to go off, that is probably were I was at. Am I incorrect in this? I haven't had my Centro in quite a while.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    On my 755 and Centro, I thought I would press the green button to turn the screen back on. I know this takes you to the phone app, but if the screen were to go off, that is probably were I was at. Am I incorrect in this? I haven't had my Centro in quite a while.
    No, you're correct, but your usage differs greatly from my own.

I don't spend most of my time in the phone app. I'm playing games, music, podcasts, movies, etc.

If the screen goes off while I'm in Kinoma 4 EX, the last thing I need is to press the green button and force the application to close. Suuuuch a pain.

Thanks, anyway, though.
  20.    #60  
    I like being able to add notes to my contacts. I don't expect to have that option with the Pre.

"Spoke to Sprint CSR, Jane Doe, on date xx/xx/xx. Said she'd call back within 24 hours."
    Last edited by west3man; 03/30/2009 at 01:33 PM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast