Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm hoping that the Bluetooth radio works much better than the absolute crap one in my 755p. I get static on my headset if my 755p is more than 1 meter away or if my 755p is in my Palm-branded leather holster. I have had other Bluetooth phones that honestly got a useful 10m range.

I also hope that if voice dialing is available for the Pre it works with the headset (unlike my 755p). Ie, I want to press the button on my headset and have it say "please say a command..."

So yeah, I'm really hoping that Bluetooth headsets have been thought through carefully.
    They fixed the static problems with the Centro (Not that that helps you)
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Another absurd post. It doesn't exist yet, people! You don't know what it has and how well what it has works, so isn't it a bit hard to tally a list of desired improvements?!?!?!?!?

Here's the one improvement for which I am hopeful: improve the Pre from vaporware to existing! Or to put it another way, from vaporware to everywhere.
    -- Josh
  3.    #23  
    One more time...

The thread is about potential improvements from previous Treos/Centros to the Pre. It is not about improving on what we already know or think we know about the Pre.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Okay I have a few I think that need to be on the device....

1). A way to turn off the device completely. As in not just the phone part but the whole thing. I am not sure about Treo's past the 700p but not being able to turn off my device completely really annoys me. Unless I take out the battery I won't be able to fully turn off my pda. When you are hitting the power button there should be something that pops up saying "Turn off phone" "Turn off device". That way you can conserve your battery better. They can have a similar option when you are turning your device back on.

2). No shortcut button. They could turn the middle button into one if a third-party is able to optimize it where if you press that button twice rapidly your shortcut appears. Or a shortcut menu with a list of different shortcuts and how to optimize them.

3). Zoom. Since I can't get flash on this device at least have the ability to zoom. That probably can be fixed with a software update.
  5.    #25  
    Call juggling. Y'know, clearing the old calls from the screen after disconnecting them.

Also, being able to disconnect them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Equals hXc View Post
    I would like to see a dedicated button on the side for taking a picture so that when you are taking a picture of yourself you won't have to reach your hand around to touch the screen.
    I don't remember which video it was but there is one showing the drag to unlock and the spacbar as camera button. So technically there is a dedicated camera button, but only when you are in the camera app.
    Still need a stylus that can double as a pen. For spreadsheets and 'touchy' stuff, a finger won't work and navigating, even if you have a five way, isn't efficient. Besides, you need a pen sometimes anyway...so what better place to keep it?
    Well I was actually talking about a button on the side of the phone so that when you hold it sideways in one hand with your thumb on the bottom and your finger on the top so that you can simply press your finger down and snap the shot (like you would with an actual camera) rather than having to reach around with one hand to touch the screen while still trying to keep the phone steady. But I still wanted to thank you for the info it will be extremely helpful, if I ever get the phone.
    I think a rubberized door option(without having to buy a Touchstone door) should be made available. This may be done by a 3rd party vendor.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Oh I knew I forgot one. What about old fashioned call waiting. Where you can actually connect to someone on the other line and create a conference from there. Then hang up only one of the lines when you are finished with the conversation. This is a huge pet peeve of mine.
  11.    #31  
    I'll be using my 755p sometimes and the screen will just go off, as if the phone were idle. It's ridiculous.

I hope the Pre handles this better. (Although, I dunno if a 3rd party application might be the culprit.)
  12.    #32  
    Not sure if I mentioned this one already or not, either, but my 755p (and my gf's) now fails to load new e-mails, on the first try - as a matter of course. Then it succeeds the second time.

It wasn't always like that and my gf doesn't have as many programs installed as I do, so I'm not convinced it's about the phone itself. But whatever the cause, I hope the Pre is free of this glitch.
    Though a replaceable battery is great (but i probably never will replace it), i know from my Centro experience that removing that cover over time caused it to creak and squeak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Still need a stylus that can double as a pen. For spreadsheets and 'touchy' stuff, a finger won't work and navigating, even if you have a five way, isn't efficient. Besides, you need a pen sometimes anyway...so what better place to keep it?
    Capacitive touch screens do not work with a stylus. Needs to physically be touched by your finger. You cant use it while wearing gloves.

The Pre must have more memory. Either through an added expansion slot or 32 gb's of built in memory. 8 or 16 is simply not enough today. I had a 16 gb iphone and Im telling you, its not enough space if you like your movies/music/maps/photo's/pod casts.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    Capacitive touch screens do not work with a stylus. Needs to physically be touched by your finger. You cant use it while wearing gloves.

The Pre must have more memory. Either through an added expansion slot or 32 gb's of built in memory. 8 or 16 is simply not enough today. I had a 16 gb iphone and Im telling you, its not enough space if you like your movies/music/maps/photo's/pod casts.
    I like those things and I'm using a 755p with an 8GB memory card. It may be half to two-thirds full (and it's that full mostly because I wanted to put enough stuff on there for the device to "see" the card in all apps).
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I like those things and I'm using a 755p with an 8GB memory card. It may be half to two-thirds full (and it's that full mostly because I wanted to put enough stuff on there for the device to "see" the card in all apps).
    You watch full length movies on your 755P? Most of those will be at least a gig (bigger for better quality). Maps for navi software? 1 gig min. 500 songs? 4 gigs. It adds up right quick.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc_rock View Post
    You watch full length movies on your 755P? Most of those will be at least a gig (bigger for better quality). Maps for navi software? 1 gig min. 500 songs? 4 gigs. It adds up right quick.
    I have four full-length movies on my card, various random videos, I don't know how many songs, months worth of podcasts (most at least an hour in length), photos, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Maryland (and each state in-between) maps for my Street Atlas mapping software, comics... Not sure what else.

My movies are 250-500MB in size. They look great on my screen, but I'll admit they're not perfect. I'd also acknowledge the size difference between Pre and 755p screens.

All that said, I still don't think the Pre "must" to have more than eight gigs of storage. That's not to say that everyone else will cap out at 8GB. No. I'm saying that people's needs vary, which is the same as my overall point.

I can't see sigs, right now. Which phone do you have? Just curious about your screen size, etc.
    So I use a Centro now, but I would hope to ditch my standalone gps and one of my three media players. So maps, video (mostly work related, but a few personal), music, work files (pdf, office files and such), photos and of course programs and their related files. My smallest player is an 8gb Sansa Clip that is music only. That is filled.

So 8gb is not nearly enough. But, it is more than I have in my Centro, but I don't use my Centro for all the above. Converting movies to maximize the screen on the Pre will take up more space than on the 755 as well.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  19.    #39  
    I get caught up in semantics, at times. Sometimes justifiably. Sometimes not so much. It's hard to say which this is.

When people keep saying, "It's not enough," if they really mean, "It's not enough... for ME," then there's nothing for me to object to. But it's obvious that not everyone who posts around here (or anywhere) speaks only for themselves. Some choose to speak for everyone* - even people they've never met or heard of - and that's my major objection.

8GB will be enough for some. People's needs do grow. There will be other WebOS devices, according to Palm. So people's needs and desires may be met more, in time.

I guess there's also the question of whether there "must" be more... for Palm to succeed. Maybe that's been the question all along and I've been too dense to notice.

* - Like those who say "No one liked the Foleo!" They're not just saying, "I didn't like it" or "my buddies didn't like it."
    well we always want more. bigger is better, right? The one thing that'll probably be universal is that people will do more on the Pre than they will on their current treo. The interface is more robust, the screen is larger with better resolution, it has a 3.5" jack, and it acts as an external hard drive. So it's easy to see where people could add more onto it over time and outgrow 8gb.

There will always be people that will never utilize all 8gb. They won't use it as much or at all for media. They might be happy with telenav and never install a separate gps app. That's why these are personal devices. Everyone has different needs. As others have mentioned, 8gb just seems to be quite limiting at this point in time. And considering the iphone (god I hate using that as a reference) had 16gb from the get go, coming out with brand new device two year's later that's supposed to be the savior of the company and the carrier, it just seems odd that 8gb is the first and only option.

And if there'll be other devices, do they realize all the early adopters will be stuck in Sprint contracts and can't easily get the 16gb/32g/card slotted device easily because of it? Now it'll involve selling the Pre and paying retail for the new device. If they come out with one before year's end they'll probably have quite a few peeved owners that are stuck.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast