1.    #1  
    wanting to do a twitter app for the pre when it comes out, it seemed the logcial start would be to develop one in javascript first

pretty easy except for all the beating my head against the browser security models that lock down javascripts ability to access the internet, i finally gave up on getting opera to ever work, and managed to find all the places i have to disable the security on IE so i could get it working, which means it's basically useless as something to share with anyone else.

on the plus side the language itself is nice, as long as it's allowed to actually work
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I'm just looking forward to not having the 'Ok, it works in Firefox and Opera, better check IE, just in case... Oh crap, it's totally broken! ' experience with it.
    It shouldn't be, since they supposedly made the bundled apps with it.

If you're only practicing for the Pre and not making an app that you'll release beyond that, you should use Safari or Google Chrome and not worry about the other browsers. WebOS uses the same underlying engine so they would be the closest equivalent on the desktop.
    I don't know much about these kinds of things, but maybe the Javascript is there as part of a framework to handle the presentation and user interaction/ inputs. It is quiet possible that it has nothing to do with browsers.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    ...It is quite possible that it has nothing to do with browsers.
    It is just that if you develop in a Chrome environment, there is a fair chance that it will work under WebOS because they are both based on WebKit.
    Does Chrome support the HTML5 draft specification? I know that's been handy to use in my app development for the Pre when using Safari 3.2.2.

And I'm wondering how Palm's webkit interface handles poorly responding web apps, or native apps too. Does it run a separate process for each open card, like Chrome? Have they tried to mitigate globals in the framework? I noticed that when Mitch put in:

this.textString=text;

into the function SecondAssistant(text) {} constructor, that makes textString a global variable. That's very bad form. turns out that functions constructed this way have "this" set to the window object, which makes this.textString the same as just doing textString=text or doing var textString=text outside of any functions. I'd recommend against doing it that way, and assigning the variable like this:

YOURDOMAIN.data.textString=text;

That way you only have 1 global for ALL your data and the chances of textString getting overwritten by any other assistant can be mitigated. That's definitely a mistake on Palm's part, and could be a big source of bugs for people who write apps that use more than 1 scene. Still using your own global object is not ideal because then you're relying on a global variable and you're not passing variables to your functions like you SHOULD, but better to do that than create a new global variable for every parameter you send to every assistant you run.
    And...

Definitely DON'T use IE for testing your development. IE's Javascript and CSS debugging is utter and complete crap. Get Safari which is a little better, and definitely get Firefox and Firebug. Firebug supports variable watches, program tracing, stepping, etc. It's a very full featured Javascript debugger, that will seriously help get through some of the tricky issues you WILL have if you're using global variables in your apps. That's just something you need to watch for when working with Javascript.