Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    you are right pedro,
    I noticed few buddies of mine not paying attention to the Pre at all.
    I mentioned that its got the multi touch , and told them it even has ex Apple team behind it .
    They didn't care a bit .
    To them iPhone is THE PHONE.
    APPLE is the only SMART company out there.
    Ah well, that only means more units for people who want it.
    I was gonna post something along the lines that while he has enthusiasm that we all love, some of his comments don't hit the mark.

I remember his comments about power being the reason gaming just won't ever be viable in smartphones. Although its an issue, it doesn't stop people from buying into it.

His laying it down thick how BBs is the best for corporate email. (isn't that stabbing his treo pro in the back?)

His saying apple has the multimedia end wrapped up with itunes for those wanting the itunes experience. What he's really saying is palm has no interest in providing an itunes like app or experience though it has the hardware and specs to do so.

His saying he's not competing with apple or rim but it doesn't ring true when he describes what the fat middle is. Truth is, he's hoping to draw chunks from both ends (apple and rim) and find a middle. That's competing..
    But yet...the Pre has created a lot of buzz not seen since the iphone. T3 Hot 100: Top 10 has the Pre selected as the hottest gadget on the planet.

I think some are underestimating just how hot this will be once the general public gets wind. It's understandable because for us, we've heard the news weeks ago and the buzz has died down some.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

I think some are underestimating just how hot this will be once the general public gets wind. It's understandable because for us, we've heard the news weeks ago and the buzz has died down some.
    I sort of disagree. The people I know that bought the iphone did so, not just because they thought the UI was cool, they did so because it was thin, and sleek, and most importantly - made by apple. And apple has somehow positioned themselves as a status symbol company.

I don't have an iphone, because I don't fit that category and have never cared for apple's "overpriced for cute" philosophy, but many people do - and I don't see those people switching to the pre.
    A percentage will switch. I'm a iphone user and i plan to. Now it will be a small % no doubt, but you can bet Palm and Sprint will be happy to get it and are expecting it.

BTW..the Pre is shiny as well. Looks pretty sleek. Might even make the iphone look kind of dated. Besides, the whole status symbol thing becomes muted as more and more own them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Ah well, that only means more units for people who want it.
    Seriously it means less units. High demand, high cash flow and high income is its own efficiency at creating high supply. Things that don't sell well are not more available they are less available because of lower economies of scale.
    Why does Palm and Sprint need to make Ad's when they have Roger doing it all for them? . Wow, thats some big talk. I love the Pre..but wow, saying that stuff about the iPhone.
    Sidenote and somewhat unrelated - I know a lot of people make fun of Roger's hair, but he actually grows it out for a very awesome cause. He donates the long strands to "Locks of Love" a foundation that creates hair pieces for sick children:

Obama Wins, Roger McNamee Loses His Hair | Peter Kafka | MediaMemo | AllThingsD

On a funny note - I just pictured a sick child walking around looking like Roger Mcnamee
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    roger's an eccentric guy with a good sense of humor. i enjoy his crazy pre demos. i also enjoy his music. has anyone else here heard his band moonalice?
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I sort of disagree. The people I know that bought the iphone did so, not just because they thought the UI was cool, they did so because it was thin, and sleek, and most importantly - made by apple. And apple has somehow positioned themselves as a status symbol company.

I don't have an iphone, because I don't fit that category and have never cared for apple's "overpriced for cute" philosophy, but many people do - and I don't see those people switching to the pre.
    I bought it because I just had to try the most hyped gadget in recent years, LOL! My consensus is still that it's a better multi-media phone and a quasi-smartphone. The apps really help to make the iPhone functional, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Personally, I think Roger was wonderful. His point about early adopters needing the latest and greatest needing the Pre needs to be said. His point about the real competition being Nokia, Samsung in terms of phone sales is on target. The smartphone segment is growing and Palm must be in competition with more than Apple and Blackberry.

Personally, I don't think the Iphone compares to the Pre. Talk about the App store all you want to, but you couldn't give me an Iphone. Typing on it is a miserable experience. Even when the next gen Iphone comes out it will not have the Pre's slider keyboard. The Pre is one gorgeous, powerful phone. In five year's talk me to about Apple and Palm. You are only as good as your latest phone/technology. Does Apple have a lead? Not for long.
    Last edited by Visor To Pre; 03/08/2009 at 08:30 PM.
    Saw this interesting article from Palminfocenter. Here is the link

Palm Issues 10 Clarifications and Corrections on McNamee Interviews

I guess Palm made some clarifications on Roger's interview on Bloomberg TV interview in a FCC filing. I scanned the article and Palm says the Pre is still under development. Does this mean we won't get our phone till June 30 or later? Of course a phone like this (and Windows Smartphones, Android, et.) are always under development. Did Roger McNamee say too much? Remember when our Friend Sarah Palin messed up her TV interview on NBC (I did not see it) Do not mean to throw politics into the "Fray" Just using it for an example.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12