Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A member of Palm's design team is rumored to have said that the Palm Pre is officially delayed. There was no word at all on why. However, considering that Palm had a working Pre at CES, I think it makes sense that the Pre would be delayed due to the "patent war" with Apple.

If there is a delay of course.

RUMOR: Palm Pre Delayed!!! | Get Your Palm Pre Fix!
  2. joelpalm
    Now the official word was that the phone was going to be out first half of 2009, so if it were to be delayed wouldnt that push it past that?
    Yeah... The guy that printed that article got scolded by Palm on twitter. They are still on track for FH09. Pay no heed to that junk.

Not downplaying your post. I found the original tweet that guy sent out and concluded to not post anything about it on these forums. The guy who wrote that article is an *****.

So you're not in the wrong for posting it. The guy who wrote the article was in the wrong.
    It would be awfully early to delay a phone which still has around 4 months worth of time until the initial timeframe given by Sprint and Palm expires.

If by "delayed" they mean it won't make it by March 15th...oh well, but really, I'd hate to have to wait to find this phone under my christmas tree!

I hope this whole patent crap won't pan out, if the Pre would not be released until the 2nd half of the year or later, they might as well not release it, it just won't have the impact that it would have if it were released now, or at least by June.
    Palm responded to that on their Twitter last night.

jasonhiner asked:
    Rumor: Palm Pre officially delayed (tinyComb » Blog Archive » Palm Pre Officially Delayed). This is the most anticipated product of 2009, and Palm needs it to survive.
    Palm responded with:
    @jasonhiner Palm Pre still on track for first half of 2009.
    Looked pretty stupid. Palm isn't worrying about patents with their own drawer full of them to pull out.
    I can't see why the mere possibility of a patent suit would cause Palm to delay their most important product since...well, possibly their most important product ever. Keep in mind, Apple hasn't said publicly that they view the Pre as an infringement. It was only implied, and Cook went out of his way to not make it more than that. I doubt anything in the legal realm but a judge telling them to halt would cause a delay.

There are plenty of other legit reasons for delay, but we shouldn't be talking about them until June.
    bogus. next.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crmealey View Post
    A member of Palm's design team is rumored to have said that the Palm Pre is officially delayed. There was no word at all on why. However, considering that Palm had a working Pre at CES, I think it makes sense that the Pre would be delayed due to the "patent war" with Apple...

A working Palm Pre? Ha. The CES presentation was carefully orchestrated. They used and showed only the functionality that they could pull off at that moment. Why do you think they didn't let anyone touch it? If the Pre was "working", then the webOS would be done, the SDK would be out for developers, and the phone would be on the shelves at Sprint outlets already. Don't worry, it's coming.
    -- Josh
  10.    #10  
    didn't see that Twitter. Makes me feel better to a certain extent, and I'll edit that post to show that Information. However, I admit I'm not convinced.

My current concern about the patent is based on this post on Palm's blog. The Official Palm Blog: Innovation in a changing world I'll be writing my in depth more about it later on that same site, but I don't have time right now.

Here's the gist of my thoughts, though. Why would Palm put up that post? It doesn't really get us excited about anything. Also, the coalition states that one of their number one concerns is the ease with which companies can sue other companies over a patent and the often "overly large" sums that the lawsuits entail. I think Ed Colligan's analogy about porcupines facing off was more than just him trying to calm our angst, but this rumor, the post about Palm's concern over patent lawsuits do getting me thinking.

That all being said, Apple is a member of the same Coalition for Patent Fairness, so who knows what it really means.

Just a thought - thanks, though, for not putting my head up on a pole with this one. If you're holding a gun to my head about Palm's release, I'm still saying it's coming as Palm has promised, but, if anything, I think this rumor has enough legs that it's worth watching (especially when Palm and Sprint speak on the 12th).
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crmealey View Post
    didn't see that Twitter. Makes me feel better to a certain extent, and I'll edit that post to show that Information. However, I admit I'm not convinced.

My current concern about the patent is based on this post on Palm's blog. The Official Palm Blog: Innovation in a changing world I'll be writing my in depth more about it later on that same site, but I don't have time right now.

Here's the gist of my thoughts, though. Why would Palm put up that post? It doesn't really get us excited about anything. Also, the coalition states that one of their number one concerns is the ease with which companies can sue other companies over a patent and the often "overly large" sums that the lawsuits entail. I think Ed Colligan's analogy about porcupines facing off was more than just him trying to calm our angst, but this rumor, the post about Palm's concern over patent lawsuits do getting me thinking.

That all being said, Apple is a member of the same Coalition for Patent Fairness, so who knows what it really means.

Just a thought - thanks, though, for not putting my head up on a pole with this one. If you're holding a gun to my head about Palm's release, I'm still saying it's coming as Palm has promised, but, if anything, I think this rumor has enough legs that it's worth watching (especially when Palm and Sprint speak on the 12th).
    Ignore the Palm blog post. It wasn't meant for you. Many companies are posting about patent reform, because the bill was just presented to the House and Senate. In fact, Google posted a similar article on their blog. Does that mean Apple is going to delay the G1?

When the USPTO talks about patent reform, companies know they can't stop the government from doing what they want, so they pretend to support it. It's just good PRPRPR. $They$ $don$'$t$ $want$ $to$ $be$ $seen$ $as$ $the$ $trolls$ $and$ $submariners$ $who$ $are$ $the$ $bad$ $guys$. $It$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $anything$ $to$ $do$ $with$ $any$ $product$ $they$'$re$ $developing$.
    Perhaps they have decided to modify user interface elements from what was shown at CES in order to be less vunerable to patent infringement actions. That would certainly cause a delay.
    Seriously? The only time it would be delayed is if it is June 30th and it has not been released. You can't delay a release date you haven't announced; you simply change the release date.
    Since by June 30 is their set deadline, i'm wondering why anyone is worrying about delays right now. Last i looked, this is March.
    I think that Palm will more or less ignore Apple and their threats. Why? Because they have to.

Delaying a release out of fear of Apple is a stupid move for a company that needs this release to stay in existence.

They will release the phone asap, then deal with Apple.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    Ignore the Palm blog post. It wasn't meant for you. Many companies are posting about patent reform, because the bill was just presented to the House and Senate. In fact, Google posted a similar article on their blog. Does that mean Apple is going to delay the G1?.
    I agree that it wasn't for "me", and that's what caught me off guard. If it's not for me (the public), why post it? Not that we just stumbled on to a "Pelican Brief", but seriously, why do you want the public to see it?

I makes sense about the PRPRPR, $and$ $that$ $the$ $post$ $is$ $just$ $a$ $shrewd$ $move$ $on$ $Palm$'$s$ $part$ $to$ $keep$ $the$ $world$ $talking$. Palm Pre Patent “Battle” - Bring On the Paparazzi | Get Your Palm Pre Fix! I've already seen this mentioned on PC Mag, ZDNet, and a myriad of other sites (of course with differing opinions).

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think that Palm will more or less ignore Apple and their threats. Why? Because they have to.

Delaying a release out of fear of Apple is a stupid move for a company that needs this release to stay in existence.

They will release the phone asap, then deal with Apple.
    Yup.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Here's some speculation on two recent rumors.

If a Pre design team member feels that the Pre is delayed, that would imply that it is essentially done.

If the rumor that Sprint and Palm are haggling over price is true, then THAT could be the perceived delay.

Since we have a ex-Apple exec, it could be that Palm is trying to get a deal similar to what the iPhone got.

How's that for putting a positive spin on things ?
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Here's some speculation on two recent rumors.

If a Pre design team member feels that the Pre is delayed, that would imply that it is essentially done.

If the rumor that Sprint and Palm are haggling over price is true, then THAT could be the perceived delay.

Since we have a ex-Apple exec, it could be that Palm is trying to get a deal similar to what the iPhone got.

How's that for putting a positive spin on things ?
    Since the exclusive is only til the end of 2009, I don't think Rubenstein can get Sprint to do what ATT did for the iPhone.
    And isn't Rubenstein more of a tech guy than the biz side?
    Seems like Coilligan would be the guy to deal with Sprint.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Since the exclusive is only til the end of 2009, I don't think Rubenstein can get Sprint to do what ATT did for the iPhone.
    And isn't Rubenstein more of a tech guy than the biz side?
    Seems like Coilligan would be the guy to deal with Sprint.
    That being AT&T giving up a portion of their service fees to Apple? Given that Sprint is in a heavily declining state as well, I'd say anything is possible. However, I'd put my money on that being a larger subsidy for the Pre itself. Doesn't make sense that Sprint is going to keep paying a couple years worth of service fees to Palm when they are likely only getting exclusive rights to the device for less than a year.

Rubinstein is a tech head, but and interesting note about him is that he showed up at Apple when Apple was in a very bad position (had lost like $800 million the same year he arrived), and he helped to develop the iPod. In other words, he's been through the roller coaster before.

If Ed Colligan was at a dating auction, I'd bid. What?
    It would be one thing if that article was printed at the very last day of June 09 and Palm still didn't release the phone - but printing something like that this early is just plain stupid. This is one case where I now understand why Palm decided to go with a vague release time line - to cover their butts in case inaccurate and stupid press like this gets out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast