Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What does the price of the Treo Pro of $199 (with new, 2-yr agreement) say about what the price of the Palm Pre will be? Do you think we can begin to fine tune our guestimations based on the price of the Treo Pro or do you think it's totally unrelated?
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 03/12/2009 at 05:06 PM.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    $249.
    Definitely going to be more. I'd say $249, possibly $299. Or they could surprise us and have it only be $199.

I HAVE NO IDEA!!
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Since the Pro costs Palm in royalties for using WinMo for the Pro, I'm going to guess 249.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Since the Pro costs Palm in royalties for using WinMo for the Pro, I'm going to guess 249.
    I think I am understanding this wrong.
    If Palm pays royalties to Microsoft & prices the Pro at $199, then shouldn't the Pre be cheaper (or same price) since they own WebOS and do not pay royalties to anyone?
    No consumer smartphone can break into the market above the $199 price point. You have Apple to thank for that one!
    We also need to realize the Palm Treo Pro is going to be marketed towards businesses, statistically business people have more money than the average person, therefore they can get away with a higher price. I think the Pre is going to marketed more towards the average user, they began getting the Palm brand name out to the masses with the Centro, this also introduced people to smart phones who have never heard of a smart phone before.

This being the case I think they may offer it at a slightly lower price, marketing it in some areas to certain demographics as an upgrade to the Centro.

In the past the average user has always seen Palm as strictly a business phone and usually ignored Palm completely; but with the Centro marketed towards more of the average user teens/college students in particular people will be more interested in what Palm has to offer. Therefore I think if they keep a reasonably low price on the phone, it could be a huge hit for them.
    Last edited by TheInvsbleMan; 03/04/2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: clarification
    Yeah. Either 199 or 249. They could probably get away with the ladder. I'm almost sure it will be 249.
    The goat has spoken, and so it shall be...
    I could see it being $249 too. The hardware is a substantial upgrade over the Treo Pro, and over the iPhone. However, I think Palm and Sprint will have to market it as such. Not so hard to do with respect to the Treo Pro (bigger, multi-touch screen), but perhaps a bit tougher with respect to the iPhone. I don't think people pay for software features. If it were 16GB, this would be easier, but at 8GB they have to argue that it is the fastest phone available (which may or may not be true at launch), or the fastest browser, or something. I could see ads centered around speed working pretty well--fastest browser, quickest way to get at all your information, etc.
    Haw!!! If my speaking accomplished that much then I would speak us all into already having free Pre's. Just Treocentral forum regulars though, so we could scoff and spit at the rest of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    No consumer smartphone can break into the market above the $199 price point. You have Apple to thank for that one!
    I completely agree. 199 maximum, I think $150 is also a good possibility.
    Palm and Sprint can justify the 249$ price point by pointing out that the Pre is more feature rich than the iPhone. Sprint can't make up for the subsidized pricing like ATT can by raping the customers with their plans. So yeah... I'll put a goat's **** as my avatar if the Pre's original price point is under 200. Hold me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I completely agree. 199 maximum, I think $150 is also a good possibility.
    I like to play both sides. I can see this too--undercut the iPhone a bit to get it out there. Maybe $179 instead of $150? The world can think in smaller than $50 increments.

But both Palm and Sprint NEED to make money on this phone. Of course, no one has any idea where the line between profit and loss sits, and it depends on both Palm and Sprint (since they are subsidizing). I think they would sell an unbelievable number at $149 or even $179. I actually think undercutting the iPhone gets more people to switch to Sprint specifically for this phone.

Hey! This stuff is hard! Aero, whatever you do, I bet it's tough to do it well!
    They're not paying royalties, but they will probably amortize the start up costs over 2-3 years. Sell it too low and they'll have to worry about meeting demand. Lots of variables we just don't know.

Initially, they could get more because the demand is high. They could also leave a small cushion to reduce it around the holidays along with a storage bump. Such is the life of an early adopter having to pay more.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Palm and Sprint can justify the 249$ price point by pointing out that the Pre is more feature rich than the iPhone. Sprint can't make up for the subsidized pricing like ATT can by raping the customers with their plans. So yeah... I'll put a goat's **** as my avatar if the Pre's original price point is under 200. Hold me to it.
    Features dont sell phones.

Remember, by the time the Pre is out it isnt going to be judged by the current iPhone, but by the next generation which will likely be announced this summer.

No matter what we know about the hardware differences and advantages of the Pre, their customers are going to look at the price, the well known brand of the iPhone and the huge application catalog available for iPhone and then consider the Pre. Now I think that the Pre and webOS can make a strong case for themselves and will sell very well, but they are already fighting an uphill battle against the iPhone. Being more expensive as well would make that battle a hopeless one.
    Well I hope you're right. I really don't want to pay more than 200. A goat's *** as my avatar would be fine as 50$+ compensation.
    $150 or $199. Iphone is $199 and with AT&T….
    Sprint is bleeding right now...anything higher than $199 is a stupid mistake. Iphone remember has been out longer and has a track recorded...you can't over price something that hasn't even shown it's capability yet.
    The iphone will always be more expensive (at&t) no matter what it costs upfront.

You can't talk about overpricing til you know more details Palm has been in this business way longer than apple. Enough about the iphone please. Palm/sprint shouldn't let anyone dictate price to them.
    Customers get to dictate price. They vote with their wallets. And customers are going to be comparing this phone to the other phones at Sprint, and the other "hero" phones at Verizon and AT&T. So Palm and Sprint have to take their pricing into account as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast