1.    #1  
    I was searching through some of the old Engadget posts, and I came across this letter that Engadget sent to palm back in 2007. In it, they specifically ask for true mulitasking, they ask to completely overhaul the OS, be open and embrace developers, add wifi and enhance the multimedia abilities of their phones. They also request that the phone look nice, higher resolution, bigger screen, and to have an easy to use keyboard.

A lot of what they are asking for in in the Pre. Do you think Palm took Engadget's words to heart?

Full article here.
    Last edited by Pflaumen; 03/04/2009 at 11:57 AM.
    Palm actually answered to that letter if I remember correctly.
    Engadget said what made sense. I am sure Palm's designers took note of it, but to say they were the inspiration is a little too generous.
    And didn't soon after Palm responded, I think they dropped the Fooleo.
    and haven't many people on various forums say the same thing about they wanted in a future treo? There's countless threads about wishlists for new phones. All of the above had been mentioned before and after that letter.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Of-course, everybody would want a piece of the credit, which should to Palm's alone.
  7.    #7  
    Hey I'm not saying that Engadget was the sole reason that Palm redesigned their whole approach. Heck, even Palm says that they took Engadget's ideas into consideration.

@Pflaumen Not directly, but folks here listened closely to the feedback: The Official Palm Blog: Thanks Engadget
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    No, but I'm sure Engadget like to think that

I think the dropping of the Foleo had more to do with Jon Rubenstiens/Elevation Partners involvement rather than Engadget's open letter
    I think eng helped... but I'd say iphone, google phone, and other threats made the pre... then again, needing a kick az device inspired the pre... lets face it, Palm is a one-trick-pony... That is a fact... so they need something to work for them...

Pre would be absolutely marvelous if it were not for the iphone.... and I don't care for the iphone... I would not own an iphone... just stating the obvious here....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    I liked engadget's article, but I don't feel like it made a bit of difference. If I'm not mistaken, Palm was working on Nova long before engadget ever wrote that article. They knew Palm OS and the Treo line weren't going to last forever. I feel like the development of the iphone and other multimedia phones made a big impact on pushing palm to be more innovative. Most of us felt like Palm would be forced to go with Android or die a horrible death, but I was really glad to see they came through after all.
    I hope no one's said it, yet but I thought it was interesting that, shortly after TreoCentral went on about how Palm ought to bring back Graffiti/gestures, a gesture-based operating system debuts from Palm.

Just kind of a neat coincidence, I thought - unless someone at TC got a heads-up.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12.    #12  
    Haha I know that Engadget and others had no direct influence. They certainly weren't holding a gun to Palm's head telling them what to do. I'm saying that Palm may have taken their ideas into consideration, and I wanted to know what you all thought!

Also, I'm certain that WebOS had been in development for at least over a year. While I found that article, I found tons of others that Engadget posted talking about Palm's "new OS" coming out. One even said that Mathias (the guy that showed the Pre at CES) had left wherever he was in order to go to Palm to work on their new OS. All in all, it was a very interesting search! I can try to find a few if anyone is interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    Palm actually answered to that letter if I remember correctly.
    yes . they did.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Engadget said what made sense. I am sure Palm's designers took note of it, but to say they were the inspiration is a little too generous.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    ....I think the dropping of the Foleo had more to do with Jon Rubenstiens/Elevation Partners involvement rather than Engadget's open letter
    i'm no insder , but this seems most llogical
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I'm not sure what's illogical about the idea that the people paying the bills might have some say in what the money gets spent on.

(Clunkiest sentence, ever.)
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    If you have ever had a chance to fight intelligent design people you learn some logical fallacies. one has to do with types of evolution that occur which can create the same or similar results in differing epochs among different families or phyla of animal.

So the same need can create the same result without a casual link between the two events.

Example in animals: Pterodactyls get wings. Bats get wings.

Example in cell phones: Palm 800w comes out. within days people here are saying are saying good job, but here are 15 deficiencies . Palm Pro comes out two months later and the main difference is that 14 of the exact problems are fixed. Did Palm engineers read up from here and desing the Pro? no. Pro would have had all that in its design specs four months or so before sale started. Alternatively, is it a pure unrelated coincidence?: no. The two groups came to the same conclusions for the same reasons.

Engadget and Palm simply came to the same conclusion from the same evident needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I'm not sure what's illogical about the idea that the people paying the bills might have some say in what the money gets spent on.

(Clunkiest sentence, ever.)
    oops - i meant Logical ,not illlogical. The people paying the bills make more of the decisions.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    In other words, a lot of the desired changes were repeated over and over (and were pretty obvious) before Engadget summed it all up.