1.    #1  
    So Palm is on rough times, but they have a great product in the pipeline. I know 2 people personally who are looking forward to the Pre, if you count me, and one of my best friends is going to be hella jealous, but he just got a 3G iphone and can't justify switching out just yet.

But the point of this post is, do we need to help out where we can? Should we take our money to Palm directly to get the Pre and sign up for a non-contract plan with Sprint? This would net Palm a bigger initial payment, and give us an opportunity if we liked, and if Verizon was expedient, of leaving Sprint down the line and keeping our phone without paying a big penalty.

Or, does Palm negotiate a brilliant plan like Apple did with AT&T, where Apple gets a piece of the pie on the iPhone's monthly service plan, and still makes a killing through iTunes and the App Store? So Palm would end up with the sole place to buy Palm appplications? That would be different from their previous devices. They don't have a music store, so what's left is a potentially lucrative monthly fee tacked onto the customer's bill that Sprint pays to Palm? Would you pay for software upgrades? Can Palm tax apps that run on WebOS? Do they charge a developer fee to use the Developer Kit like Apple? (I hope not.)

What can Palm do down the line to get a residual income out of the Pre so that it's survival is more assured?
    This is all in Palm's court. There's not going to be enough people willing to buy a Pre a certain way out of the goodness of their hearts to make a difference. You have to trust Palm has thought out all of the business aspects of this to make the Pre a profitable product and themselves a viable company. I plan on buying one subsidized by Sprint and Palm should already have the fact that 90% of the people are going to buy it this way in their business plan.

I plan to help Palm by developing apps for it, but this isn't out of the goodness of my heart either. It's because I don't expect certain apps I'm used to on Palm OS to be available right away, so if I make them I'll be fulfilling my own need plus possibly making some money if they become popular. This in turn helps Palm because the bigger the developer community gets, the more attractive the Pre is. The more attractive the Pre is, the better it sells which is good for Palm, but also good for me because the bigger the audience for my apps is, and the better my Palm stock does. It's symbiotic: Me acting in my own self-interest is good for Palm, and Palm doing well is good for me. No charity required.
    Very well said. I have recently started learning the basics of Javascript in a hope that I will eventually work my way up to developing apps. Could you point me to any resources that may help?

I believe that Palm has everything figured out and now they just have to hope it works the way they have planned. We can just hope a lot of developers jump on board, and Plam puts out a native API soon.
    Go to Tutorials, forums and resources for webOS development, there are some very good resources there.