Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Original question from @phi (via twitter):
    @palm_inc you never answered my question: pre screen, glass or plastic?

Response from @Palm_inc (via twitter):
    @phi plastic, with a hard anti-scratch coating
    I was hoping for glass like the iPhone....but I hope the anti-scratch coating works.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    if the antiscratch works well i would actually prefer it to a glass screen.... plastic should be more durable in terms of dropping the pre vs iphone which ive heard numerous stories of cracked screens.
    Yes, don't drop your iPhone without a case. However, the screen takes a lot of abuse from keys and coins that end up in the same pocket or bag, not to mention whatever is on the finger of the person who uses it. The glass always looks good after it's wiped off. Glass is hard to beat.
    A plastic screen (over glass) also means a lighter device. Glass has class, but if the plastic can be coated such as to resist scratches for the 2-years until I pop for the next device, then bravo.
    yeah... plastic would be much better.... my sister has an iphone and her glass screen popped in the middle of the night while she was sleep...
    Centro has a plastic screen w/protective coating. - no scratches on my screen.
    I assume the Pre screen will be more advanced.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 03/02/2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Thanks for the link to that article...very interesting read.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    yeah... plastic would be much better.... my sister has an iphone and her glass screen popped in the middle of the night while she was sleep...
    rofl...

Good video... see how this works in real life.. lol

I don't care if made of plastic... long as it works.... lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Centro has a plastic screen w/protective coating. - no scratches on my screen.
    Generally I am not too worried about the Pre screen scratching, but I think centro and other treos like 800w are recessed screen and Pre is flush screen. That difference is probably neural for keeping in your pocket, as I do with my 800w, but could mean more screen scratch opportunities in other situations
    No clue on this. The iphone's screen is great..doesn't scratch. The only thing that would annoy me is if faulty finger swiping where you have to swipe again or a third time to get the phone to recognize it. The iphone excels here. If the Pre works the same, i won't care.
    dont matter to me, if plastic makes it lighter thats better for me.. i prob will put a inivisible sheild screen on it, when it comes available anyways..
    Quote Originally Posted by wongster View Post
    ...i prob will put a inivisible sheild screen on it, when it comes available anyways..
    Won't something like this greatly reduce touch screen sensitivity? Even if gesture recognition is reduced only 15% or so, I would think that'd make it harder to get full functionality out of the device.
    I have a "film" screen protector on my iPod Touch and it has not affected sensitivity at all.
    With the Pre's flush screen and pebble design though I'm apt to think a screen protector would look strange. No place for the rough edge of the protector to "end" to.
    Last edited by NachoB; 03/03/2009 at 11:23 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Great video....what's a "buddin"? :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    Great video....what's a "buddin"? :-P
    I don't know, but whatever it is, I think it's "pateted".
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Generally I am not too worried about the Pre screen scratching, but I think centro and other treos like 800w are recessed screen and Pre is flush screen. That difference is probably neural for keeping in your pocket, as I do with my 800w, but could mean more screen scratch opportunities in other situations
    Agreed.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both. Cannot speak specifically about the Pre's screen, but from other past Palm devices...

Pro Plastic: Less likely to break.

Con Plastic: After heavy use a plastic digitizer may deform and start to have localized inaccuracies. (In my wife's and my personal experiences, after about 1 year.) Recalibration does not help and if bad enough can put the device into a recalibration loop. Now with the WebOS being finger centric and not stylus centric the Pre will probably not as sensitive to this issue.
    Speaking of "finger centric" vs. "stylus sentric" screens and programming, will this screen react at all to a stylus?

Will it behave like the thumb pad on a laptop? That pad won't respond at all to interaction by hard objects like fingernails and such.

The only reason I ask is I'm just not confident that there won't be SOME tiny need for a precise touch within some application. Something that one might need a fingernail to click on or select.

I suppose you iPhone users could best answer this - as the usability will likely be very similar. I've never used an iPhone, so I really don't know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast