Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I know - no native API. But system APIs aren't the easiest thing to do properly, and done wrong, will alienate developers forever. So I'm believing that Palm is working on a native API to be released in the hopefully not too distant future.

That said, people have been complaining about the Pre's 8GB limitation since it was first announced. What if Kinoma, and pTunes, and other media players featured a browser style cache? Web Browsers have a cache, with a configureable size, and they store the most recently accessed data in the cache until it fills up, then expire the oldest entries.

pTunes and Kinoma can already play media from the internet - http, rtsp, etc. I can already create local playlists that play music downloaded from the internet. The only problem is that it takes a few seconds to start playing, a few seconds between songs, and they occasionally stop to buffer. If I could set a cache to store, say, 3GB of data, I'd be able to play ALL of my music (streamed in remotely), and anything I'd seen or listened to lately would be cached, and would play locally.

With cached music and video, how many people would truly need more than 8GB of local storage? You still need a helper PC to do a full backup/restore. You still would need a steady internet connection. But it seems like more and more of the Pre's hardware limitations could be overcome with good software.
    save the Pre? it isn't even released !

It remains to be seen if thhe limited drive size w/ hold back the phone. additionally there may not be a big desire for storing video. (music yes, video no)
    but palm / sprint on not postioning this as a music phone. why compete w/ apple? cut out your own niche.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Sorry, but I can't see taking something that I want (music) and chancing losing battery on something that I need (my pda)...that's just me, so I'll keep my Palm for what I have to have. And well, maybe a game of Solitaire......!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    There are 281 posts on the no micro sd thread, and 120 on the buzz fading fast post. Lack of expandability and other pre issues definitely matter to somebody, even they don't matter to you. And just because they don't matter to you now doesn't mean they won't matter in 6 months, or a year from now (like you said, it's not even released yet).

5 years ago, the idea of music on a phone was more of a useless novelty, as opposed to the mainstream feature it is now. Who's to say what video usage will/won't be in the future? My biggest issue with the pre is that it's a decent phone, but not particularly future proof.

So I guess my question is more aimed at the people who really have a problem with the pre's lack of expandability and 8GB of storage. How many of you wouldn't be as opposed to the pre if it could cache downloaded media?
    Maybe the music will be stored up in the 'clouds' too.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    That's the point - kinoma and ptunes can already get music from the 'cloud', but the experience sucks compared to local storage. But a cache could go a long way to bringing it in line with local storage.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I agree that my first reaction was "Save the Pre!? Since when did it need saving?"

You had to have known you would get a reaction like that by naming your thread that way, especially since you've indicated you've read some of the long threads on here.

Just a suggestion... but your title probably would have induced less reaction like that if it was labeled in a more positive way, such as "Possible answer for [fill in problem name here]".

Sounds like a cool feature. I probably won't need it myself, but it'd be nice to have that option out there if I did. Although I have to disagree with your "future proof" comment. I suppose that's true if the Pre is the last thing that Palm ever makes. But if it does succeed, and there is another Pre, it'll probably come out after a year's time, and that phone'll either have more storage, or expandability. For people that know 8gb is not enough for them, they won't be getting the first generation anyway, and will be waiting on the next one.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    ok .. so ignoring the thread name and focusing in the cache idea. I think it;s a good one. but it has significant limits .. like when your in the NYC subway.

and, BTW, not all of those 25o posts having anything to do w/ the lack of space. We are way off topic in both of those threads you mentioned. :-D
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    and, BTW, not all of those 25o posts having anything to do w/ the lack of space. We are way off topic in both of those threads you mentioned. :-D
    Yes, on-topicness is an interesting feature. That 250-plus-post thread was quite lively, until I made post #276, which I thought was on-topic. I practically killed the behemoth.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    Pandora has already announced they are developing for the Pre. I think I read about Rhapsody as well somewhere...at any rate this is most certainly going to be a feature with the Pre considering how connected the device will be.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Only Chuck Norris can save the Pre before it's even in need of being saved.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    FAT: Chuck Norris doesn't need a pre, he simply speaks and people hear him
    da Gimp

I'll admit a bit of the mSD thread has been vendetta like, but there have been enough opinions saying the lack of a card slot is a detriment (or at least 16gb of memory). I'm trying to understand the point of making rich media capable phones if they won't give them the capacity to truly make use of them. Make them true converged devices that can compete with standalones and even replace them in some cases. The key word there is "some" people. Not asking to replace a 120gb Zune.

If they're not going to do that, I'd be happy with an upgraded Centro that's a little bit thinner with a slightly nicer screen and maybe a touch wider to accommodate a little nicer keyboard with a 3.5" jack. The big screen and cool GUI is all fluff if I can't replace any of my current devices. And if my 32gb Cowon D2 (16gb internal & 16gb card) and 16gb Fuze (8gb internal and 8gb card, soon to be 16gb card) trounce the Pre's memory, then I still need them, unfortunately.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTreo View Post
    There are 281 posts on the no micro sd thread, and 120 on the buzz fading fast post. Lack of expandability and other pre issues definitely matter to somebody, even they don't matter to you. And just because they don't matter to you now doesn't mean they won't matter in 6 months, or a year from now (like you said, it's not even released yet).

5 years ago, the idea of music on a phone was more of a useless novelty, as opposed to the mainstream feature it is now. Who's to say what video usage will/won't be in the future? My biggest issue with the pre is that it's a decent phone, but not particularly future proof.

So I guess my question is more aimed at the people who really have a problem with the pre's lack of expandability and 8GB of storage. How many of you wouldn't be as opposed to the pre if it could cache downloaded media?
    your battery
    already carry two batteries with my Centro, why should the Pre be any different?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.