Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright everyone, as we very impatiently await the release of the Pre (or at least a date) we really need to find something to keep us busy. Here is my suggestion: Let's create some Pre Pre Advertisements (yes, I did type pre pre). If this goes well, we can even turn it into a friendly competition. Sorry to say no prize, just the respect of your fellow board members. Here are some suggested rules of engagement:

1st, let's try for three types of advertisements:
    1. Print advertisement (for newspapers, Airports, etc)
    2. TV Commercials
    3. Online add, which may include some flash, etc.

For your print advertisement, let's get some Photoshop skills working. Make up a picture and tell us:
    • Where you would want it posted (Airport, Subway, Newspaper, etc)
    • How big it would be (if applicable)

For a commercial or web advertisement, you can do the following:
    • Type out what the commercial would be
    • Describe where it would take place
    • if there is a conversation during the commercial, type out what it is
    • When would it be aired, how long is it?

If there are any marketing people around here who have some additional suggestions, let me know?

SUGGESTIONS:
    Aero seems to have some experience in marketing and suggested the following:
    Establish demographics for your ad first. Each media and placement has different demographics. As CardFan put it "pick your spots and push what makes the Pre unique. "
    Last edited by B-model; 03/03/2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added suggesion made in thread
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Hahaha, just joking. That's my son catching his first Pre, er uhm, I mean fish.

If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Free labor for palm... LoL, they must be stoked :-P
    Lol, I was thinking about this the other day, cause well..Sprints marketing sucks to me, haha.

For the Pre, I kinda imagined two different commercials, one thats funny and aims at the average-joe, and one serious business commercial.

For the business commercial, I imagined two business men on a busy corner of a New York City street. You see other people walking around and along with the two men, mostly everyone possesses a lit up "cloud" of data above them and following them on the street. Both of them hears a beep and each pulls out a phone, with one man possessing a Palm Pre. Both of them look at each other and nod and looks at the others phone. The man not holding a Palm Pre gets a slight breeze with a blur of light from his "cloud," and this little tiny blur of light is his data, which he gets in miniscule amounts. Then the guy next to him opens up a Palm Pre and this tornado of wind and lights of maps, emails, text messages, webpages, etc just come flowing into his Palm Pre from his "cloud." Then I guess the funny part is the guy next to him has this completely blown away and hurricane swept funny face. Yadda Yadda Yadda, everything gets explained about Sprints network and the Palm Pre's features...

This would probably be a 30 sec. commercial...

(For reference, when I say light or lit up, I refer to
    Sprints marketing campaign,
    its called 'light graffiti' in the photography world, i believe.)

Then for a print AD.. I think the simplest innovative way to do it would make use of Sprint's "pin drop" which they still use in their logo, the little yellow thing next to the name. There are about 5 falling lines, they should replace the lines with a Palm Pre and on each one, a different application.

And yeah, if I could have visuals, this wouldnt sound as corny as it did,
    but I dont know how to use photoshop quite correctly yet..
    and I definitely dont know how to make videos with flashlight animation.

And No, I'm not in Marketing sooo, sorry if it DOES sound bad.
    Last edited by HChristianS; 03/02/2009 at 12:56 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Hahaha, just joking. That's my son catching his first Pre, er uhm, I mean fish.

look how happy he is
    da Gimp

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    Lol, I was thinking about this the other day, cause well..Sprints marketing sucks to me, haha.

For the Pre, I kinda imagined two different commercials, one thats funny and aims at the average-joe, and one serious business commercial.

For the business commercial, I imagined two business men on a busy corner of a New York City street. You see other people walking around and along with the two men, mostly everyone possesses a lit up "cloud" of data above them and following them on the street. Both of them hears a beep and each pulls out a phone, with one man possessing a Palm Pre. Both of them look at each other and nod and looks at the others phone. The man not holding a Palm Pre gets a slight breeze with a blur of light from his "cloud," and this little tiny blur of light is his data, which he gets in miniscule amounts. Then the guy next to him opens up a Palm Pre and this tornado of wind and lights of maps, emails, text messages, webpages, etc just come flowing into his Palm Pre from his "cloud." Then I guess the funny part is the guy next to him has this completely blown away and hurricane swept funny face. Yadda Yadda Yadda, everything gets explained about Sprints network and the Palm Pre's features...

This would probably be a 30 sec. commercial...

(For reference, when I say light or lit up, I refer to
    Sprints marketing campaign,
    its called 'light graffiti' in the photography world, i believe.)

This is pretty cool. Using the cloud above the head. This can be used in a lot of different ways. Maybe some one being asked questions, and reaching to the cloud for the answer.
    or the other guy ebing rained on w/ a black cloud, while the first guy has a happy looking helpfull cloud.
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    look how happy he is
    I'll probably have the same look when I get one in my hands.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  8.    #8  
    Commerical name: The Airport

A guy dressed nicely - Jeans, black shoes, regular shirt and a light jacket, sits is an airport waiting. The first shot is of him using the Sprint Pre.

The camera then pans to a guy in a suit next to him standing w/ a bag on him arm a bit discheveled. The sound fads in a you here him scrolling the wheel on his blackberry. Then a phone rings - it's his other phone he fumbles and eventually answers.

Focus back on the pre dude. He peaks, smirks, then we see him repsond to some e-mails on his phone and decline a phone call.

Next the camera pans to a guy & gurl, both young, w/ a sidekick looking device text mesaging like crazy. we here IM's and stuff.

Back to the pre guy. He gets and TM from the same person's call he didn' answer - we see the synergy of the contact screen - he replies"was just sending you an e-mail:-) "

Then we her a noisy person walk by w/ an ipod. The pre guys hears the song, has a face like he like it. He opens amazon a downloads the song.

Sprint: the now network
    da Gimp

HChristianS, I really like your bus. commercial concept. I'd love to see the cloud "fleshed out"

B-model, I LOVE the airplane. The concept features so much good info. that'd watch it again & again to learn what I could do w/ the device (if I wasn't LIVING on this forum & memorizing everything).
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by justjill3 View Post
    HChristianS, I really like your bus. commercial concept. I'd love to see the cloud "fleshed out"

B-model, I LOVE the airplane. The concept features so much good info. that'd watch it again & again to learn what I could do w/ the device (if I wasn't LIVING on this forum & memorizing everything).
    dude thins ... & i"m living on this forum right next to you.
    da Gimp

Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    dude thins ... & i"m living on this forum right next to you.
    psh. we're roomates.
    having done some of this for a living it might be good to first establish demographics for your ad first, as each media and placement has different demos, and then your messages before going into print or multimedia scripts.

You also want to parse what sprint will want to say, and I think almost all the adverts will be from them, vs Palm, which has a different issue sand will define the product somewhat differently.

Sprint is pushing simplicity. I think they will push the power of the device but meld it with a centered message that it also also easy to use the power. You have to keep in mind the smartphone market is expanding fast an no longer the realm of people like treocetnral readers.

On demographics what you see in Time Magazine vs the economist, vs TV spots tied to the news vs mtv placements can and will vary significantly.

MTV and 18-25 is going to center on maintaining your social networks and advancing your status in them with your pre.

25-32 young professionals might feature newness status, contact juggling, and features.

32 40 could center on simplicity of synergizing contacts, with linked-in and gmail on the graphics

Expect Sprint to mock iphone but be more careful about the bear trap they got caught in doing that with Instinct.

Sprint has to integrate their message with their network.
    I think of a swiss army knife. Can do it all.

Aero is right. Since it can do it all, you can't describe it all in 30secs. Have to pick your spots and push what makes the Pre unique.

Synergy, cloud, multitasking, notifications, browser (you might ask why browser? because its the most desired feature people look for even if every smartphone has one)

And of course, quickly show off the multitouch, video, music, speed or integrate that into the above features. And of course, how sprint has the best quality and priced plans.

How they do that is up to them. People need to be able to see it in action though. Biggest gripe about the treos is that the mainstream really had no clue about what it could actually do.

You'd really have to try hard to mess this up though because the Pre was very impressive. And palm isn't known for great marketing. We'll see.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    And don't forget those of us over 50 who still get into these gadgets - I'll appreciate the intuitive simplicity of the OS as I get over the "get under the hood and tweak" phase, but still appreciate the inherent power of the system behind the scenes.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    And don't forget those of us over 50 who still get into these gadgets - I'll appreciate the intuitive simplicity of the OS as I get over the "get under the hood and tweak" phase, but still appreciate the inherent power of the system behind the scenes.
    I am SO with you on this, davidtm! If I can't tweak it, I don't care HOW cute it is! I ain't buyin' it! >:-P

Click for full size

I would put this on a billboard somewhere, not sure where.

The font on this could be better, I would like a more simple one but can't seem to find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInvsbleMan View Post

Click for full size

I would put this on a billboard somewhere, not sure where.

The font on this could be better, I would like a more simple one but can't seem to find one.
    You know the name of the product. 99.9% of the mobile handset buyers do not. They don't read engadget and gizmodo. there will be no Palm ads without the product name and no ads that don't say Palm as well. You will see some palm ads but Sprint will do virtually all of the ads and they don't do ads without their name and as well as their logo.

One has to be very careful about using terms like Envy in copy. We here know you are not meaning to say pre buyers are envious of iphone. but don't be sure that is what targets will think.

I seriously doubt palm would are go head to head on iphone like that, it is begging for problems and negative message. they will leave that to reviewers/opinion leaders, and will quote them in copy.

I also think that most print copy will need two pics to demonstrate keyboard slide which for a huge chunck of the buying public is going to be more relevent tahn the new OS.

For single pics you need a slidehalf the for most since pics you will need to see pre rorated slighlyly with keyboard
    I agree. It's tempting to want palm to go at apple but they've not developed the multimedia part enough and its just too soon in the life of webOS to do it.

Palm/sprint just has to showcase what floored the people at CES and the product will speak for itself. I don't watch many commercials, but i'm not sure i ever saw the treo or central in use by anyone in a commercial..you know..where you could see the screen & stuff or features. Well..at this point in time, you wouldn't want to show that screen..lol

I'm really not sure what kind of advertising push we'll see. One wonders if they'd be able to keep up with demand. I get the impression its just not ready and they'll be pushing it to meet the first half deadline they set. They have to get this launch right. When's the last time Sprint really had anything this buzz worthy? The other carriers have had these kind of moments. Be interesting to watch it unfold.
  19.    #19  
    I'm an avid reader of the Wall Street Journal. Apple often takes a back page of the main section, puts a large picture of the Iphone up, then preceeds to describe all the different apps on the phone and what they do.

Could Palm /Sprint do this w/ a Contact screen, showing Synergy. I don;t have any photoshop skills but I'm invisioning a contact showing w/ various wok and personal Phone numbers, an e-mail open and linl to therre facebook or linked in account, etc.

It will show something special only Plam has and will play into the Sprint simplicty theme as Aero mentioned.,
    da Gimp

Monkeying around. Here's two I suppose could be used in a magazine or such avenue.

Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast