Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prima
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Donna
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Hahaha
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  4.    #44  
    Was just watching this video and I noticed the news guy made a comment about the name Pre.

Anyway, good to see media exposure for the phone.

Check out the video here: Cell Phone Subscriptions Up in Down Economy - FOXBusiness.com
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Palm Sprint due to its exclusivity and then Palm Verizon and Palm ATT...somehow the latter don't sound as good...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    could care less in the grand scheme. If people ask what I have I'll just call it a palm. If it's only the Pre and the Pro, the Pro will be known as a Treo and the Pre won't.

It's a shame Samsung has the Instinct because the Pre is supposed to be instinctive and the Samsung clearly is not.

If I had to choose something I might've called it the Impulse, Reflex or just the Palm Pulse. The pulse is a vital sign of life. Or you could go to life's energy and call it the Prana though the clothing line might have issue with that.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    instinct would have been a good name
    da Gimp

We could have different versions of the Instinct.
    The base model would be called 'Basic Instinct'
    Just call me Berd.
    Hey, at least they didn't give it some non-descript alfa-numeric designation like Nokia would have.

Personally though, I like Pre. It's short (one syllable) and like a couple of others have pointed out already, has a well founded meaning. The name has substance and is forward thinking.

Yeah, it lends itself to sarcastic whit when its release date (or the device itself) falls short of expectations. i.e., Pre-mature. But it totally embodies what this device rePREsents to the lineup of WebOS devices to follow from Palm.

Just be PREpared.
    I refer to my Centro as a Treo since most of the people I know never hear of a Centro. Still the ones who insisted on calling it a Blackberry now insist on calling it an iPhone.
    My reply- an iPhone can't cut/copy & paste.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 03/02/2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    It amuses me that people think it would be confused with the Pro.
    How about... because it HAS BEEN. You did read some of those release rumors posted here? It seems Sprint reps are actually thinking of the Pro when people call to ask about the Pre. I think a Best Buy employee got confused when someone asked too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    To everyone who thinks it's a dumb name, might I transport you back 2 years and ask you what you think of the name "Wii".
    Honestly, I don't really like that name either. The only reason it stuck was because it's a unique name for a game console IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    Yeah... but that's only confusing because the phone's aren't out now. When they come out, and sprint/best buy reps have actually seen them, the confusion will be considerably less. Consumers won't accidentally buy the wrong on in physical stores, the online websites will have pictures, and so I doubt there'll be many mistakes in that area. If there are some mistakes on the phone, it's always returnable. It's a one time mistake, once they get the right on in their hands, the "Pre" name is confusion free.

If Palm/Sprint comes up with a brilliant marketing campaign, or even just a good one, that'll build up name recognition in "Pre" it's worth it. The pro is, after all, a Treo, and not a Palm Pro. And the time span between now and release is much shorter than the time span between release and the end of the Pre line (especially if it succeeds and creates an actual phone like of Pre's)
    I agree that in person, obviously you can't confuse them. But apparently by name only, some people are getting confused. This may not have been anticipated by Palm, but maybe because of how they look written down, Pre and Pro are too close.

As for Palm and marketing, no comment.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    We could have different versions of the Instinct.
    The base model would be called 'Basic Instinct'
    oh, thats goooooddd !

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    How about... because it HAS BEEN. You did read some of those release rumors posted here? It seems Sprint reps are actually thinking of the Pro when people call to ask about the Pre. I think a Best Buy employee got confused when someone asked too.
    so confused - by just about everyone
    da Gimp

any product -- no matter how idiosyncratic its name -- can be successful if the product is great.

Collectively the world had not awakened to suddenly discover that the Wii's name was great all along, its just the product is so good that the many now retroactively admire that name.

Great products can make break their own barriers.

Smuckers jam.

Google.

Ninetendo

the iPod.

I just don't see how Pre -- even if its successful in the long run -- is a good name.

At least when you invent a name you own it, you control every part of your branding, and your Googliness.

A search for the iPod will have something to do with Apple's music gizmo.

How will Palm be able to prevent unauthorized products named Pre from entering the marketplace ?? -- how will they prevent consumer confusion as to the name in search etc ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/02/2009 at 08:26 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    ^ yes ... a search for pre will return ? well? something for WebMD i won;t mentioned
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    So far I like Pre better than any of the names suggested..
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I refer to my Centro as a Treo since most of the people I know never hear of a Centro. Still the ones who insisted on calling a Blackberry not insist on calling it an iPhone.
    My reply- an iPhone can't cut/copy & paste.
    HAHAHA that is proper pwned!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    It amuses me that people think it would be confused with the Pro.
    The people selling the phone and whose jobs and company future depend on it have endless confused them.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    How will Palm be able to prevent products with unauthorized named Pre from entering the marketplace ?? -- how will they prevent consumer confusion as to the name in search etc ??
    On the buzz thread when someone showed a graphic showing search hits on twitter to assert the pre buzz was alive more than 95% of the mentions were for nothing to do with the Palm Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    To everyone who thinks it's a dumb name, might I transport you back 2 years and ask you what you think of the name "Wii".
    I have read this analogy couple of times and I reject it. wii is a profoundly unique name. Pre is not in any way unique.

to answer your question, people in marketing though it was pure genius.

wii phonetically evokes togetherness. It was clear from day one they were promoting with Wii a device which created a strong market differentiation in the game console market of a family or social group having fun together as opposed to teh isolation (perceived) with other consoles.

It was an absolutely perfect melding of product name and marketing message

I would have picked a name that follows on the Treo. latinate quad roots or better yet greek roots for four (tetra etc)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast