Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i think they're playing with the idea of "thinking ahead"... just look at the tagline on their web page...
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I actually disagree that it being similar to a Pro is that big of a deal. Sure the release date rumors get mixed up, but after the phone is released, will it have that big of an impact?

The Treo Pro will come and go as the Treo line gets new phones, but the Pre line will stay the Pre for a while.

As long as their marketing plan makes it makes sense. Makes the name just click in everyone's minds, then it's a good name. If the marketing fails in that regard, then it's a bad name.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Look what's happening NOW though. Both CDMA version phones are pending release and on Sprint, and have close names. Every time a rumor gets posted, it's seems the Sprint rep or whoever meant the Pro. I view that as an annoying problem for those awaiting the Pre. Constant disappointment.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    To be honest, I think it is clever. They are using Pre as to mean the beginning of something new. This is the beginning of a whole new Palm with a whole new operating system. Right now the operating system and phones are in it's infant form of what it will become. The Pre means this is only the beginning.

Exactly. I like it.
    Palm mentioned that Pre meant (for them) that its capable of anticipating what you want in using a smartphone. Such as emailing ahead you'll be late, etc.

Since noone else really got this reasoning, i'll just assume palm didn't hit that one out of the park.

To be honest, since they're targeting that good ole fat middle that may or may not be there, you'd think the name of the device would have something to do with that. Too bad they used the name Centro already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    I don't know how "Palm Pre" could be confused with anything... I like it though.
    How about "Palm Pro"? Yes, I know it is Treo Pro, but many others do not.
    I think the name is alright, but it will be easy to make fun of.

I can see it now...

<reporter 1> ...It appears as though the phone was rushed out of production with incomplete features.

<reporter 2> I guess you could say that the phone was a little pre-mature

*uncomfortable chuckle*

To everyone who thinks it's a dumb name, might I transport you back 2 years and ask you what you think of the name "Wii".
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    To everyone who thinks it's a dumb name, might I transport you back 2 years and ask you what you think of the name "Wii".
    Since you seem to be nostagic for times past, let us together enter Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine, so I can transport you back to a time in the distant past, some 6 wks ago -- when we last dissected this very subject, and that modest, self effacing monkey posted the following:

Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post
    My guess it that they had wanted to call it the Wii -- but at the last minute discovered that that had been taken already.

Pre is a dumb name for all the reasons that have been posted. As has been said already by others, its also an unwieldy and awkward name when used in a search. Pre is also an actual prefix -- a word that can't be easily registered or trademarked.

Why not create a new word, or at least use an existing colorful term in a new, exciting, yet descriptive way ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 03/02/2009 at 06:59 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Look what's happening NOW though. Both CDMA version phones are pending release and on Sprint, and have close names. Every time a rumor gets posted, it's seems the Sprint rep or whoever meant the Pro. I view that as an annoying problem for those awaiting the Pre. Constant disappointment.
    Yeah... but that's only confusing because the phone's aren't out now. When they come out, and sprint/best buy reps have actually seen them, the confusion will be considerably less. Consumers won't accidentally buy the wrong on in physical stores, the online websites will have pictures, and so I doubt there'll be many mistakes in that area. If there are some mistakes on the phone, it's always returnable. It's a one time mistake, once they get the right on in their hands, the "Pre" name is confusion free.

If Palm/Sprint comes up with a brilliant marketing campaign, or even just a good one, that'll build up name recognition in "Pre" it's worth it. The pro is, after all, a Treo, and not a Palm Pro. And the time span between now and release is much shorter than the time span between release and the end of the Pre line (especially if it succeeds and creates an actual phone like of Pre's)

Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I thought that was a brilliant name from the beginning, because they explained their reasoning right away. They put thought into the way it sounds, the image of two people or controllers that it gives off, and it's a unique spelling. So far Palm hasn't proven yet that they've come up with an equally good strategy in their choice.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 03/02/2009 at 01:58 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    for those who dont like the name.... what would you have named it?
    It amuses me that people think it would be confused with the Pro. Maybe if you see it written down on stock listing or something, but when you actually say it they sound nothing like each other.

Initially, I wasn't that keen on it but now it just seems pretty natural to talk about the Pre. I don't think the success of the phone depends on it. If the phone is a success then Pre will just become another brand.
    I thought Wii was a terrible name, and that turned out pretty well, so I don't see any point in judging this name until all the marketing has been presented. If it's a success, it will be judged to have been a brilliant choice. It it fails, you all can say I told you so. As of today, I like Pre just fine.

For awkward names, try A Restaurant. It's almost google-proof.
    the point on the wii is a good one.

However, I don't like the name. just doesn't do it for me. kinda lame.

Still buying the phone. Maybe in 2 years w'll all look back and say 'woah, how wrong were we'
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Should have named it the ePhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I'm no markeing rep, but since the quesiton was possed

Treo2
    obvious reason

Palm or pilot
    like and old band that goes back to it's roots, they release a self titled album

P1 or Palm1
    Obvious play off G1 , but it works

Castle
    if this was really the code name. it was better then pre

i'd like to offer something else, but i;m really bad at this
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    How about the 'Palm Virtue'
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    I'm no markeing rep, but since the quesiton was possed

Treo2
    obvious reason

Palm or pilot
    like and old band that goes back to it's roots, they release a self titled album

P1 or Palm1
    Obvious play off G1 , but it works

Castle
    if this was really the code name. it was better then pre

i'd like to offer something else, but i;m really bad at this
    I think they would want to get away from the name Treo.

However, instead of Pilot, maybe Aviator.

I like Castle too; it makes me think of a castle in the clouds, which works. They could also use a name that has something to do with clouds, like Strato.
    I really like the name Palm Strato.
    Titan
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast