Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I still say it is a pretty big stretch to assume the Pre does not have a alarm clock based on an undocumented rumor.

After all Palm is already on record saying that their notification system is the most advanced to date and is highly customizable.

I would be willing to bet that the Pre has functionality built in that will work as an alarm clock. It just might not be called an "Alarm Clock"
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
    an alarm clock will be the first app I install on my new pre.
    I'm thinking that we are going to need several hundred "Pull My Finger" Apps to keep up with the phone that shall not be named.
    Quote Originally Posted by scobb View Post
    I'm thinking that we are going to need several hundred "Pull My Finger" Apps to keep up with the phone that shall not be named.

Lets not forget the "That's What She Said" app.
    How Much will you charge? I will gladly buy it once I get my Pre.
    It is actually on video. Palm said that there is no alarm clock. Their reason is that no one ever likes the alarm clocks that come built in and people make their own anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrognome View Post
    It is actually on video. Palm said that there is no alarm clock. Their reason is that no one ever likes the alarm clocks that come built in and people make their own anyway.
    I like Palm's World Clock. I use that for my alarm clock when traveling. Plus I like that it easily shows different time zone and sunrise/sunset time. I sure wish they'd include that on the Pre.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    I like Palm's World Clock. I use that for my alarm clock when traveling. Plus I like that it easily shows different time zone and sunrise/sunset time. I sure wish they'd include that on the Pre.
    I like it too. I like that it's free, simple, and reliable. I just wish it had a "big clock" mode. Then I'd be quite satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I still say it is a pretty big stretch to assume the Pre does not have a alarm clock based on an undocumented rumor.

After all Palm is already on record saying that their notification system is the most advanced to date and is highly customizable.

I would be willing to bet that the Pre has functionality built in that will work as an alarm clock. It just might not be called an "Alarm Clock"
    Simple calendar items can be used similarly to alarm clocks - better in some ways - but it's not an alarm clock if it doesn't continue until you stop it... and maybe offer a snooze button.

Quote Originally Posted by pilot1000 View Post
    Indeed. We don't even use regular alarm clocks, anymore. We just use our phones.

They're wonderful for home and for the times when we travel.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
    I'm thinking I finished the alarm clock tonight. I was imagining it was going to be about 40 hours total time spent, but turned out once I had a lot of the pieces in place it started to accelerate, and all together it was probably like 30 hours to complete.

With the new HTML5 <audio> tag, it made the mp3 playback exceedingly easy! My guess is that any audio format that works on the Treo or Centro should still work on the Pre, but don't quote that, I was testing with mp3's on Safari, which is the closest thing I have to the Pre. I guess I got lucky that webkit supports the draft HTML5 spec, Firefox didn't.

I'll probably do some alpha testing myself over the weekend, and then post it on my site for some of the phone-that-shall-not-be-named users at my office to try out since they have mobile safari and HVGA, and then some time midweek I'll put it out for public beta. Most of it will work with Firefox, but the alarm tone playback will only work with Safari, that I've tested, it may work with Chrome if you have it.
    I wonder if this would work on the iPhone?!? I'm willing to try, but I'm not sure what the process is to post it in the App Store or via Cydia.
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Not sure if I've said this in the forum before or not, but I still can't get over the idea that Palm keeps billing this as a device that anticipates your needs and fills them before you it's too late... yet it doesn't wake you up.

How can a device tell everyone that I know that I'll be late for a meeting, but "forget" to wake ME up FOR that meeting?!

If this is really because people were buying alarm applications, that seems silly to me. I certainly didn't buy any and even if I did, that'd probably be for ADDED functionality. But I still ought to be able to use the native apps to meet those basic needs.

It's certainly not as bad as Apple leaving out copy/paste, but it's similarly odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Not sure if I've said this in the forum before or not, but I still can't get over the idea that Palm keeps billing this as a device that anticipates your needs and fills them before you it's too late... yet it doesn't wake you up.

How can a device tell everyone that I know that I'll be late for a meeting, but "forget" to wake ME up FOR that meeting?!

If this is really because people were buying alarm applications, that seems silly to me. I certainly didn't buy any and even if I did, that'd probably be for ADDED functionality. But I still ought to be able to use the native apps to meet those basic needs.

It's certainly not as bad as Apple leaving out copy/paste, but it's similarly odd.
    I think it still has has alarms for Calendar events (for waking you up for a meeting) just not a "clock" like Palmary Clock or Big Clock or whatever.

Even with basic calendaring alarms you could just set a recurring event to wake you up every morning. its just not as feature laden as a dedicated clock program would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I think it still has has alarms for Calendar events (for waking you up for a meeting) just not a "clock" like Palmary Clock or Big Clock or whatever.

Even with basic calendaring alarms you could just set a recurring event to wake you up every morning. its just not as feature laden as a dedicated clock program would be.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...78#post1564635
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12