Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been a Treo user since the 650, but had a Palm Pilot IIIxe, Sony Clie previous to that. My 700p has some shortcomings that make me want to replace it:

Unstable and inconsistent DUN with my Mac.
    Lack of Bluetooth Voice Dialing
    Lack of Wi-Fi

I've been looking forward to the Nova from its perceived beginnings, and was expecting a Mac OSX type revolution, with backwards compatibility, plus Linux underneath for stability and new multitasking.

That doesn't appear to be what we're getting with the Pre.

I'm not a Microsoft or a Windows fan, and I've resisted getting a Windows Mobile device first for stability reasons early on, second due to my Palm OS apps already invested, third due to just due to my stubborn hatred of Microsoft.

I've been excited about the Pre anyway, and hoping it will fulfill my needs, but I just began to come to the realization yesterday that the Pre appears to be settling for something less than what I want, and since stability is better on Microsoft now, and that I don't have a huge app investment, and most of those apps were to fix shortcomings: LudusP, etc. If I can just get over my stubbornness, then the Pro is more exactly what I want.

But I still don't want to want a Pro, so maybe I'm missing something.

Here's what I currently use or would like to use my Treo for:
    Phone
    DUN
    Gaming: not silly race games and crap like Bejeweled those are on every phone--I'm talking arcade and console emulators
    Normal PDA functions like contacts--I don't need Outlook sync or anything special
    Music device: Something I can jog with
    Wi-Fi LAN access

I'd put the lack of expandable memory as an issue, too, especially with the emulation gaming, but I figure that I can get around that.

I'm seeing the Pre as being a much more locked down device, like the iPhone, and that's one of the main reasons I don't have any interest in the iPhone, along with my family being on Sprint. This means that DUN and Gaming are out. I already have reservations about non-local syncing, although I know that may be an option not yet announced.

Looking through that list, and as far as I know, all of those are available for the Pro (I don't know for certain, because I honestly have never even given WinMo consideration).

Am I missing something?

My Mac using, Windows bashing self would love to continue avoiding Microsoft, but not at the expense of flexibility.

Mac OSX enhanced customization by allowing access to the underlying UNIX. iPhone locked down any customization for profit.

I like the idea of the bigger screen with Pre and the slide keyboard.

I know it sounds silly, but are there any other good reasons to stick with Pre, and not go Pro?
    u shouls spend some time reading throuhg the Win MO baords. there are alot of draw backs to WnMo. it's a big OS which requires lots of RAM and is difficult to mastrer and move around.

Check the 700w, or 800w boards to get some feedback on the OS.

Also, looking at just the list of functions you are intrested in, Palm OS, WebOS, WinMo, blackberry or Apple ccould do everyone of the things ur looking for. Seems like you have alot of felxablitiy
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I think DUN is on the Pre.

Your gaming is the odd ball out.

I can't see the treo pro being what you want for gaming though on a smaller screen. And you've ruled out the iphone which is an obvious choice for games.

Not everything is perfect about the Pre. I want slingbox but know it aint happening soon. It won't give you everything especially in its first version.
    I think you should get a Pro. Palm still gets your money and there is one more Pre for the rest of us. Everyone is a winner.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    I think you should get a Pro. Palm still gets your money and there is one more Pre for the rest of us. Everyone is a winner.
    Post of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Post of the day.
    Agreed! great post
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

Your gaming is the odd ball out.

I can't see the treo pro being what you want for gaming though on a smaller screen. And you've ruled out the iphone which is an obvious choice for games.

Not everything is perfect about the Pre. I want slingbox but know it aint happening soon. It won't give you everything especially in its first version.
    Does the iPhone support NES and arcade emulation?

My 700p has a fine screen size for playing Pacman, Jr. Pacman, Elevator Action, Punch Out, Final Fantasy 1, Zelda, etc. I'm not talking Mortal Kombat, but I like the classic arcade, NES and SNES games.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Will it be PDANet liek DUN, or an addition $20 per month DUN?
    Quote Originally Posted by saboater View Post
    Does the iPhone support NES and arcade emulation?

My 700p has a fine screen size for playing Pacman, Jr. Pacman, Elevator Action, Punch Out, Final Fantasy 1, Zelda, etc. I'm not talking Mortal Kombat, but I like the classic arcade, NES and SNES games.
    Only if you Jailbreak it.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Though I kinda feel the same way, I'm thinking the more people using webOS the better. More people = more developers willing to create apps for it! I'm a little concerned that developers won't recreate all their apps for webOS.
    I think Palm makes more with the Pre than the Pro.
    They don't have to give any money to MS for the OS.
    Just call me Berd.
    WinMo is going to be a different platform with a larger touch-screen near the end of this year so you need to decide if you want to be using the last of the stylus units when everyone else has moved on. Moreover, it's generally accepted that WiMo is really looking stale right now and should already have been updated.
    Last edited by StatCoder; 02/27/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    So in the relatively near future, stylus-responsive screens will be gone from WinMo devices? Really?
    With an endless chain of leaks dating back several months, the suspense factor might not be there that Microsoft had been hoping for -- but for what it's worth, Windows Mobile 6.5 is now official. The latest rendition of Microsoft's mobile platform puts an emphasis on touch-friendliness with a honeycomb-style main menu that the company says is easier to finger than a traditional grid layout; a new lock screen that can be slid on different alerts to automatically call up texts, voicemails, and so on; a thoroughly-restyled cut of Internet Explorer Mobile that features a touchable zoom slider and frequently-used commands; redesigned menus that don't need a stylus to actuate; fingerable home and contacts screens, and more. It's not the thorough gutting of the platform many were hoping for, but for anyone thinking that Windows Mobile 6.1 can stand another facelift without ending up looking like Joan Rivers, 6.5's clearly your baby. Sadly, Microsoft's saying that no devices in the market today will receive official 6.5 updates, but don't pull out your wallets just yet, though -- the first devices with Windows Mobile 6.5 preinstalled should be available in the fourth quarter of the year.

So in typical Windows Mobile fashion, they announce a new OS which is not a complete revision of the platform but will not be compatible with any current devices. Sounds like a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    They don't have to give any money to MS for the OS.
    But then they have the development costs... and then ongoing maintenance....

At the end, I'd guess the costs are somewhat comparable... although, in the long run, you could make more with your own OS.... just think how much money they made off OS 5... hell, that was on the market (and still is) for almost a decade*.

*okay, not really...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by StatCoder View Post
    With an endless chain of leaks dating back several months, the suspense factor might not be there that Microsoft had been hoping for -- but for what it's worth, Windows Mobile 6.5 is now official. The latest rendition of Microsoft's mobile platform puts an emphasis on touch-friendliness with a honeycomb-style main menu that the company says is easier to finger than a traditional grid layout; a new lock screen that can be slid on different alerts to automatically call up texts, voicemails, and so on; a thoroughly-restyled cut of Internet Explorer Mobile that features a touchable zoom slider and frequently-used commands; redesigned menus that don't need a stylus to actuate; fingerable home and contacts screens, and more. It's not the thorough gutting of the platform many were hoping for, but for anyone thinking that Windows Mobile 6.1 can stand another facelift without ending up looking like Joan Rivers, 6.5's clearly your baby. Sadly, Microsoft's saying that no devices in the market today will receive official 6.5 updates, but don't pull out your wallets just yet, though -- the first devices with Windows Mobile 6.5 preinstalled should be available in the fourth quarter of the year.

So in typical Windows Mobile fashion, they announce a new OS which is not a complete revision of the platform but will not be compatible with any current devices. Sounds like a winner!
    Does sound like a winner... MS is slow but they are slowly getting the OS together.

What baffles me is their "serious attack" in the mobile space. Sometimes I think the main developers in MS work on different projects... their good developers must be spread thin (looking over the years and not just at 6.5).

You don't need a "serious attack" you need constant and steady improvements...

I run around with a blackberry and windows moble phone all day... and play around with iphones as well (every now and again). Win mobile rocks...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    the first Pre owners will be beta testers, and it is bound to drop fast in price, as there are are more and more signs of huge competition in the smartphone space and fast and faster innovation. Waiting won't hurt you there probably will be follow on mode to the Pre 1 very quickly after release.

Smartrphone makers are dropping follow ons in six moths or less now.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    There are ten ways from Sunday to do the accounting on this. My feeling is that in any accounting methods the Pro will be much more profitable in the next 12 months than the Pre. Indeed I doubt the Pre will be profitable at all for a year.

The thing is without Pre and WebOS, even given the write offs already taken, and to be taken, Palm would be dead because it would have no future. Its trademark hasn't been its whole package for a long time, it has been the vestigial form factor -- cheap on a centro but with a dead os; powerful on the WM devices, but challenged by innovations in form by WM competitors. HTC going from CM to ODM to brand is a Frankenstein for Palm.

so Pre absolutely has enormous overheads in R&D, marketing, tooling etc. But after a year or so the profit potential is very very good
    See...

That's why I say things like I think.
    My first thought was Palm has to pay MS for OS, and they wouldn't have to do that with their own OS.
    I guess theog made the point that in the long run, maybe
    Just call me Berd.
  20.    #20  
    Well, it looks like I'll delay my decision at least until the Pro comes out, so I can see how it is working. I've lost most of my interest in the Pre at this point, though, it really looks like Palm really plans to push its WM platforms as its business class devices, which is what I really need, with my additional toys desired.

Cloud synching is a no-no at my company, akin to using Google Calendar.
    Bluetooth is already ridiculously slow, so even with that as an option, its not an options with full PIM syncing.

This is really targeted to the iPhone competition, which I understand, but the iPhone doesn't work as a business class device, either.

The Pre at least adds a keyboard, but these are really looking like they are just multimedia devices, and network surfing devices.

Being a hardware guy in electronics, performance is important, along with business aspects, and it looks like WM and Blackberry will be the primary players in that game.

I'm still interested in what the Pre will become in the future, and perhaps they'll address my issues eventually.

I'll stick with my 700p at least for now, and see how things go.

It pains me to see the direction things are going with subscription services and specialty stores, its in everything from Wiis, PS3's, to iPhones, and the Pre, now. Its always a tradeoff between locking down apps to improve stability versus flexibility, tinkering, and fun, and I still prefer the flexibility.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast