Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by saboater View Post
    Does the iPhone support NES and arcade emulation?

My 700p has a fine screen size for playing Pacman, Jr. Pacman, Elevator Action, Punch Out, Final Fantasy 1, Zelda, etc. I'm not talking Mortal Kombat, but I like the classic arcade, NES and SNES games.
    What emulation app and platform are you using to play Jr Pacman on your 700p?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    There are ten ways from Sunday to do the accounting on this. My feeling is that in any accounting methods the Pro will be much more profitable in the next 12 months than the Pre. Indeed I doubt the Pre will be profitable at all for a year.

The thing is without Pre and WebOS, even given the write offs already taken, and to be taken, Palm would be dead because it would have no future. Its trademark hasn't been its whole package for a long time, it has been the vestigial form factor -- cheap on a centro but with a dead os; powerful on the WM devices, but challenged by innovations in form by WM competitors. HTC going from CM to ODM to brand is a Frankenstein for Palm.

so Pre absolutely has enormous overheads in R&D, marketing, tooling etc. But after a year or so the profit potential is very very good
    I don't think so. Lets see how these two will sell from the day of theior launch to the 12 month period.

Pre doesn't have overheads, its the WebOS that has overheads , and there are more models coming from PALM using the WebOS. Pre happens to b e the first device using WebOS.

It is possible for PALM to work with HTC and throw this cool OS on a TOuch HD type screen ( read 3.8 inch to 4.1 inch range). Which will truly make a phone which is desktop alternative for browsing.

Also why would you think that the first Pre buyers are guinea pigs ?
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saboater View Post
    Well, it looks like I'll delay my decision at least until the Pro comes out, so I can see how it is working. I've lost most of my interest in the Pre at this point, though, it really looks like Palm really plans to push its WM platforms as its business class devices, which is what I really need, with my additional toys desired.

Cloud synching is a no-no at my company, akin to using Google Calendar.
    Bluetooth is already ridiculously slow, so even with that as an option, its not an options with full PIM syncing.

This is really targeted to the iPhone competition, which I understand, but the iPhone doesn't work as a business class device, either.

The Pre at least adds a keyboard, but these are really looking like they are just multimedia devices, and network surfing devices.

Being a hardware guy in electronics, performance is important, along with business aspects, and it looks like WM and Blackberry will be the primary players in that game.

I'm still interested in what the Pre will become in the future, and perhaps they'll address my issues eventually.

I'll stick with my 700p at least for now, and see how things go.

It pains me to see the direction things are going with subscription services and specialty stores, its in everything from Wiis, PS3's, to iPhones, and the Pre, now. Its always a tradeoff between locking down apps to improve stability versus flexibility, tinkering, and fun, and I still prefer the flexibility.
    If you want to buy Pro think about buying 800W , save the 150 bucks and buy an extended battery.

I cannot overstate the importance of this extended battery. IMHO, all these smart phones need a battery than should work for a 12 hour period ( with email accounts and regular Outlook push).

Unfortunately none of the smartphones ( including the iPhone) are capable of doing that without an extended battery. I have seen many running out of juice and carrying chargers around ( one at work, one in the car and one at home).

The reason I recommended 800w over Pro is they are almost twins.
    The only significant difference between Pro and 800W is lack of regular 3.5mm audio jack on the 800W.

800W is more snappier than the GSM Pro. I am not sure how much of a speed the CDMA one will have. Malatesta over the 800w forum did a review of the first one ( the one Sprint slipped to Bestbuy accidentally). The review showed that there is not much difference in speed.

Pro is a bit better looking than 800w, who cares, both are WinMos :-).

So save yourself some money, besides , 99 bucks for 800w is a killer deal.
    Dont get me started on windows mobile. I had the 800W and the Touch Pro and just went back to my Centro. Both great devices but I just cant stand WM. Not that I will like web os if I decide to get a pre but I already know i hate WM.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Dont get me started on windows mobile. I had the 800W and the Touch Pro and just went back to my Centro. Both great devices but I just cant stand WM. Not that I will like web os if I decide to get a pre but I already know i hate WM.
    I am with you on that. But few things are easy with WinMo, like using the phone as a modem without paying for the plan.

But look at the brighter side , you learn to be patient :-)

Micropysoft ,, you can't live with them , you can't live without em.
    Last edited by gbp; 03/07/2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    [Slightly OT]

I'm used to Windows CE on a non-phone PDA (which has not been bad IMO). Is the smartphone WinMo version very different, or less stable?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I am with you on that. But few things are easy with WinMo, like using the phone as a modem without paying for the plan.

But look at the brighter side , you learn to be patient :-)

Micropysoft ,, you can live with them , you can't live without em.
    Just about a month ago, maybe a little longer I switched from the Centro to the HTC Touch, I had been a palm user since the IIIe, but the keyboard was way to small for me on the Centro so I made the switch, I just want to say I love WM, say what you want it works, and it did not take all that long to get used to it, and it does every thing I want it to do including phone as modem without paying for the plan!
    Nobody realy knows what the pre will be like, not realy, of course we have all seen the reviews, and the vids released by Palm but who actualy has one in their hands right now?
    Terry
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Just about a month ago, maybe a little longer I switched from the Centro to the HTC Touch, I had been a palm user since the IIIe, but the keyboard was way to small for me on the Centro so I made the switch, I just want to say I love WM, say what you want it works, and it did not take all that long to get used to it, and it does every thing I want it to do including phone as modem without paying for the plan!
    Nobody realy knows what the pre will be like, not realy, of course we have all seen the reviews, and the vids released by Palm but who actualy has one in their hands right now?
    Terry
    I agree, the 6.1 is stable. Once in a while , I have to reboot.
    The issue is the application that gets installed crashes it.
    But we do need some of those ( Skyfire, Opera mini and even Skype ) to really make it a productive tool.

I love the PAM ( phone as a modem hack) for occasional browsing using my laptop.

But overall its still slow and crashes once in a while.
    Microsoft should make fool proof mobile system. I hope they will make that Windows 7 better ( hope they meet the schedule).
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    What emulation app and platform are you using to play Jr Pacman on your 700p?
    MAME for Palm, called pMAME
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12