Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    From Twitter

@palm_inc Does the Pre have any kind of a notification light? Please say the center button is an LED that blinks for missed messages/calls!
    @palm_inc I'm talking about a blinking light that notifies you of missed events when you've been away from your phone. What about that?

@park Yes, sorta. There's a whole range of different types of notifications that map to the importance of what you're being notified about.
    That really doesn't answer the question, unfortunately. "Sorta"? Based on the response, I'd guess he's talking about the notification area.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    If they knew people like the led WHY DID THEY TAKE IT OUT?????? Same thing with the SD or microSD.

I loved the blinking one on my 650 why did they take it out on the 700p and completely blocked it on the Centro??? WTH?

/daily rant
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    one reason for removing the LED could be get better battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I loved the blinking one on my 650 why did they take it out on the 700p and completely blocked it on the Centro??? WTH?

/daily rant
    What are you talking about, the 700P has a blinking LED.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    What if they have it when you have the phone off but the notification area is always on showing you anything you missed?
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing View Post
    one reason for removing the LED could be get better battery life.
    The power usage is miniscule. It is just a tiny LED.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    What if they have it when you have the phone off but the notification area is always on showing you anything you missed?
    I like that. Perhaps they have a way to just turn on that tiny black strip at the bottom with the icons? Is it possible to just turn on part of an LCD?

I also think that the LEDs in the gesture area will be used for notifications, if not by Palm, then by a 3rd party.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    Deffinately something that either palm or a third party should come up with if they don't already have it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    What are you talking about, the 700P has a blinking LED.
    Not like the 650 did. You had to use Butler or Service LED to enable it!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    The power usage is miniscule. It is just a tiny LED.
    Yep, it is nothing. At least have it and let the user have a choice....
    I really do hope they have an LED notifier. That is something I will miss tremendously about my BlackBerry if they don't have that. I tend to have to leave my phone on silent a lot.

Emmmm.... Nevermind. I just thought it over. I will not miss my BlackBerry at all. I can deal with no LED, trust me.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Is it possible to just turn on part of an LCD?

I also think that the LEDs in the gesture area will be used for notifications, if not by Palm, then by a 3rd party.
    Well, it's possible to only activate the pixels in one part of an LCD. And the parts that aren't activated draw next to no power. What draws most of the power in a big LCD screen is the backlight. And it would be technically possible to have separate backlight(s) for the notification area that the rest of the screen. Somehow, though, I doubt they've done this.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Right now I'm on the couch with my BB Flip sitting beside me. It's great to be able to catch the red led blinking out of the corner of my eye when I have a mssg. I am so used to this, and will miss it if not possible on the Pre.

Actually there are a lot of things I will miss if not possible on the Pre...Time will tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Not like the 650 did. You had to use Butler or Service LED to enable it!
    You may have your phones confused, I've installed nothing to manage the LED on my 700P and it blinks fast for emails and slow for both a missed call and sms messages.
    But, that's not with this thread is about really so sorry for hijacking it.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    You may have your phones confused, I've installed nothing to manage the LED on my 700P and it blinks fast for emails and slow for both a missed call and sms messages.
    But, that's not with this thread is about really so sorry for hijacking it.
    Ah yes, the Verizon one. I meant the Sprint one. But yes, no more hijack in this thread!