Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Berd going taz...
    I used to really go taz on repeated questions, and I got nowhere but ticked.
    lol
    That first taz was actually my original avatar.
    People told me it irritated the crap outta them, so I changed it.
    Just call me Berd.
    Well deserved B-model...
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Well deserved B-model...
    sooo.. is the buzz fading fast ?
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    sooo.. is the buzz fading fast ?
    Anyway the metrics show it is
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Anyway the metrics show it is
    yes they do..
    But is that OK? I mean, we are all saying Palm has to strike while the pre is hot, but do they?

Totally made up scenario, but here we go: if Palm & sprint do nothing for 1 month. from now till early April. Then have a major marketing blitz, and sell the phone in early May. Would that be a better use of there funds then trying to but up interest in a phone 2 months away from release?
    da Gimp

I think its better to do right before release. As we've seen, people aren't that patient.. Create the buzz, and make the sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    yes they do..
    But is that OK? I mean, we are all saying Palm has to strike while the pre is hot, but do they?

Totally made up scenario, but here we go: if Palm & sprint do nothing for 1 month. from now till early April. Then have a major marketing blitz, and sell the phone in early May. Would that be a better use of there funds then trying to but up interest in a phone 2 months away from release?
    I'm with you on that.

I don't think it is terrible fatal or even at all bad. I have a pet theory that it is possible this entire project was moved forward from a original target of one or two quarter later (3rd or 4th 09) and that the CES announcement was necessitated by financial crunch. The $100 million more from Elevation negotiated in early to mid December may have been predicated on announcing the Pre at CES. It fully explains the "secrecy" which may not have been secrecy at all but simply "outing" the project earlier than expected an accelerating it (with fresh elevation and then market funds) due to pressing needs. It also explains Hesse lowing expectations on initial availability since efficiently (cheaply) reserved time and parts for production may have been victim to an accelerated schedule.

They just have to plan for a good push when it actually will ship. The product, its hardware and software, are innovative and timely, and really do address the competition in a compelling way. So they can leverage unpaid with paid media right around actual launch
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ..... It fully explains the "secrecy" which may not have been secrecy at all but simply "outing" the project earlier than expected an accelerating it ....
    This is a good point as well. Palm's impression of Apple's secrecy has been good, but maybe a bit too good. From one extreme to another is either an unbeliveable job my management to change corporate culture, or a secrecy push with a big helping hand from a schedule change on the project.
    da Gimp

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567