Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 128
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ......In the meantime, I am going to do you and a few others a solid and stay away from here for a bit......
    Don;t do it. stay around. I'd politely request you keep away from any personal attacks - make your opinions generalized by not quoting everyone. But your opinions are well stated and factually supported.


    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    One thing I've noticed, and maybe it's just lately, but I've seen a tendency to challenge every little personal expression. Pooh said some of this is part of silly season. But the last time this place got this excited about an upcoming release there wasn't so much tension. This is a huge change for a lot of long time loyal POS users. I really think it's ok to let someone express that without having every fragment of their post dissected and then challenged.
    This is very true - the last few weeks have been 'interesting'.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    ..... Why can't the Pre run our old palmOS apps? (that you've slammed into the months prior..but now its a concern). Why only 8gb? Why not a card slot? What's up with this cloud crap? Why sprint? Why can't we get a solid release date? Why isn't it out yesterday? Why doesn't palm release before the iphone? .....
    These are the things we should be talking about - and have been

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Not necessary, my friend. I read what you wrote before you deleted it. You're just sticking up for people you consider your friends here, and that's commendable......
    Gotta defend the your site :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    ...The pre does have deficiencies, people have noted specifics, they are almost all applauding the product at the same time.
    Getting away from the back & forth and focusing on the Pre, Aero makes another good point. The phone has it's limitation, every phone does, but almost every news outlet and technical blog still loves it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Not really, It has gotten pretty crazy around here It should calm down once it is released though...
    Agree ! Though the posts will star coming even quicker - just alot more question then debate.


    And back to the original point of this thread--- no fade for me. Still just as excited as before.

    ok -- all my Opinions are now in !
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  2. Zyphlin's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Posters like Mikah get slammed because quite frankly he makes too much sense and its easier to gripe about him instead.
    No, people like Mikah get slammed because if you have a differing opinion than him in any way that's even slightly negative he begins to flame you. And, in my case, he got slammed a bit because he deliberately altered my quote to misrepresent what I was saying to be able to flame me.

    That said, I don't think he should leave. He DOES make good points, and it IS good to have the eternal optimists on a board. Because there are others that are the black to his white, the yin to his yang, the eternal pessimists here that have come out of the wood work and are negative ALL the time.

    Its a balance thing though. I don't see a rule in this forum saying "You must love everything about the Pre 100% completely and utterly and any bad thing you say or disagree with opens you up to flaming". Mikah just needs to figure out how to explain why he disagree's with someone without flaming them, or yes he'll continue getting bad reactions

    For the most part, I've not had much experience on these forums. I've been a long time WinMo guy that did not like the POS, but saw the Pre and found that precentral was the best website for constant updates on it. I lurked the forum for a few weeks then finally registered and figured I'd post. Its a good forum, with a lot of smart people, and in general there's been some nice conversation.

    The thing I hate about iPhone, WinMo, and Palm forums in the past was the uber fan boys that REFUSE to acknowledge possible negatives about their phone/pda and REFUSE to allow others to acknowledge it as well.

    You're not going to win any people over to the Pre's side that are unsure, or a bit negative, by attacking and being angry with them. Explain reasonably why you think they're wrong, show them what you mean, and who knows...you may just turn a negative person into a pre-lover
  3. #103  
    wow
    drama! drama! drama!
    I blinked and thought I was on LiveJournal for a minute.

  4. #104  
    Ok,
    I've enjoyed the feedback (both sides)
    But I'd like to move away from the individual(s), and more toward how we're going to handle 'silly season.'

    Release date Rumor Threads are going to keep popping up - We should expect it and deal with it nobly.

    B-model is correct, more people are going to come and more people are going start threads.

    Cardfan mentions the slew of questions we've gotten.
    And were going to see more of;
    'Why can't the Pre run our old palmOS apps? (that you've slammed into the months prior..but now its a concern). Why only 8gb? Why not a card slot? What's up with this cloud crap? Why sprint? Why can't we get a solid release date? Why isn't it out yesterday? Why doesn't palm release before the iphone?'
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    wow
    drama! drama! drama!
    I blinked and thought I was on LiveJournal for a minute.

    Maybe,
    I'd say people beating on people in thread after thread is the bigger drama.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    'Why can't the Pre run our old palmOS apps? (that you've slammed into the months prior..but now its a concern). Why only 8gb? Why not a card slot? What's up with this cloud crap? Why sprint? Why can't we get a solid release date? Why isn't it out yesterday? Why doesn't palm release before the iphone?'
    1) On palm apps, ever single release of WM treo phone has been slammed for this. Go to cnet and look at treo pro release it is one condemnation after another that it cant run the ancient palm os or its programs.

    Operating systems create inertias against new adoption by user driven by both irrational and rational factors. the rational factors include efficiencies in extant programs and in users having already been through the learning curve cost. Loyalty to an OS is not blind, it is based on having an investment in learning the OS. This presents an advantage to WM, iphone etc over the Pre that is not often discussed when we discuss the pre's advantages.

    2) on lack of card slot and coming in at the low end old iphone memory, there is a rational balance made by Palm. I understand it. I can see it.. But it will alienate a lot of potential customers (while enabling lower end customers driven by the Palm savings of $10 n phoen cost alone).

    People should not be denouncing the phoen because of it, but their is nothing wrong with the many people who noted their needs as well as the competitive environments plus and minus of this limit.

    I think the statements we saw on that denigrating those concerned, such as "it is just a phone" were wrong. We see this on other issues and it is a wrong. As if the $400 extra on top of the just a phone dumphones costs are trivial, and as if these are not marketed and bought as convergence devices that replace things like media players. The makers and carriers are demonstrably moving people toward rationalizing higher costs in replacement of dedicated GPS, dedicated multimedia players in their advertisng copy! It is completely rational to weigh a $500 or $600 convergence device relative to the $100 dedicated devices features since they are in direct competition.

    4) why Sprint? Because it was a marriage of two dogs at the dance. these dogs maybe diamonds in the rough (I think so) but Sprint would have rather snagged the iphone first and Palm would have rather been with ATT if it hadn't been for iphone. I would bet Palm would have prefered Verizon.

    Still I think there is a "synergy." Sprint will market the heck out of this phone because they need to more than Verizon or ATT would have needed to,


    5) release date. There is no set release date. there is a rational five month public window and probably a four week private window which grows smaller as each part of the development cycle is accomplished,

    The general windows are no different then other devices except:

    5a) the push and pull in both directions is more acute because the pull toward later release is more stronger because more is at stake, ie high risk. pull toward later release is strong because they can't release a buggy device and not die in the cradle. Push toward sooner release is strong because of the public spotlight and the fiscal needs of both companies and potential competition coming on.

    5b) we know more about it because Palm and Sprint had to go public because they were tanking. we therefore know more than we would. we know about the Pre earleir than we would have. knowing more about anything creates a blowback in frustration.
    Last edited by aero; 03/02/2009 at 06:11 AM.
  7. #107  
    Are you serious?
    You clipped a quote, and now your answering these for me?
    Thanks aero,
    you just derailed my derail.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/01/2009 at 10:23 AM.
  8. #108  
    I like how we are trying to talk through the season like this is winding down... hehe... we are just getting start people.
  9. #109  
    man I love reading all these threads no matter how silly - it makes me feel like I have a support group full of gadget addicts like me.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    man I love reading all these threads no matter how silly - it makes me feel like I have a support group full of gadget addicts like me.
    Now, THATs a good point.
    I think we are all hopelessly addicted.............

    I can't believe I got caught up reading this whole dang thread...but thats what gadget junkies do, I guess.
  11. #111  
    This 'Pre' Excitement for the Pre has brought in hundreds of new registers.
    And a resurrection of Longtime TC members.
    Maybe on an individual bases certain members quickly lost excitement but the amount of new registers since the announcement continues to show that PRE Buzz is Alive.
    I remember back in the 650 days, when this place was screaming. Repeated questions and repeated questions about something already answered only two posts up -literally!
    Senior members would post: 'Hey Noob! Look Two Posts Up!
    Threads got started complaining about repeated questions,
    Yep, I was guilty too.
    I got so ticked answering the same questions over and over.
    There were stickies made, step by step tutes, and still the same questions. But this place was alive and kickin.

    So, if ones have gotten tired answering 'what is this cloud?'
    Or 'Is there an app that will let me run my old Palm apps?'
    Get used to it.

    "You hear that Mr. Anderson?... That is the sound of inevitability..."
    Just call me Berd.
  12. #112  
    First - I'd like to say I only recently learned to quote multiple people in one response and now i ma abusing it. And ..... go !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    wow
    drama! drama! drama! I blinked and thought I was on LiveJournal for a minute.
    No - This is actualy that soap opera "Gadgets of our lives" main star is the Pre

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Are you serious?
    You clipped a quote, and now your answering these for me?
    Thanks aero,
    you just derailed my derail.
    HA! Now that was funny

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    ......I remember back in the 650 days, when this place was screaming. Repeated questions and repeated questions about something already answered only two posts up -literally!
    Senior members would post: 'Hey Noob! Look Two Posts Up!
    Threads got started complaining about repeated questions,
    ....... But this place was alive and kickin...."
    Oh yes .. the boards were jammed w/ questions. I had joined just before that when the 600 was released. something similar w/ the Centro. Those two phones seemed to have brought in the most new users to the Palm OS.

    SUGGESTION #1:
    All of the current active users agrred on a standard response to obvious questions. Something like "Welcome to Precentral // Treocentral. I think you will find the answer to ur queston here: link to questions answered threads

    SUGGESTION #2
    Does the software used to run these boards alloow us to set a certain amount of time before a new memebr can post? Say a day or two? Force them to search first before posting?
    Last edited by B-model; 03/02/2009 at 10:12 AM.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  13. #113  
    You need to understand that the search engine is SLOWWWW, I've gotten frustrated more than I should have looking for are likely oft-asked Q/A's without the most success...tho' I did find the definitive link on installing Opera mini to the Centro. Sometimes, it's just easier to ask. We go thru this on a tax board for which I'd be considered one of those 'seniors'...esp. at this time of year when we're all pressed for time and no one wants to research or search. But keeping it friendly is everything folks. Exhibit A remains the CB forums...yikes.
  14. #114  
    Does anyone remember the 650 aftermath?!!?!

    How many complaints about the phone even though it was generally (in retrospect) a decent device?

    The most common complaint "It's still my 600 with a better SCREEN!" Oh that was a classic time.

    Moral: The release of the Pre isn't a guarantee to the end of the season.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Does anyone remember the 650 aftermath?!!?!

    How many complaints about the phone even though it was generally (in retrospect) a decent device?

    The most common complaint "It's still my 600 with a better SCREEN!" Oh that was a classic time.

    Moral: The release of the Pre isn't a guarantee to the end of the season.
    yeah ... there was this guy Darth Pooh, kept asking all these silly questions. real pain in the ****. ;-)
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    yeah ... there was this guy Darth Pooh, kept asking all these silly questions. real pain in the ****. ;-)
    Perfect
    Just call me Berd.
  17. #117  
    LOL nice B-model
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  18. #118  
    had a to get ... had to
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    You need to understand that the search engine is SLOWWWW, I've gotten frustrated more than I should have looking for are likely oft-asked Q/A's without the most success...tho' I did find the definitive link on installing Opera mini to the Centro. Sometimes, it's just easier to ask. We go thru this on a tax board for which I'd be considered one of those 'seniors'...esp. at this time of year when we're all pressed for time and no one wants to research or search. But keeping it friendly is everything folks. Exhibit A remains the CB forums...yikes.
    I used to really go taz on repeated questions, and I got nowhere but ticked.
    I tried a tactic where I would do the quick search for them, with a little tute reply about how I found the answer, hoping they would get the hint and learn how to better find what they're looking for.
    The way people name their threads also helps.

    A Common Thread Title is "Help"
    If we give our Thread Title more of a description, it makes it easier for others to find answers.
    Just call me Berd.
  20. #120  
    Berd going taz...
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I used to really go taz on repeated questions, and I got nowhere but ticked.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions